wiper relay

hi

can someone give me the run down on changing the wiper relay thats supposed to be located with inside dashboard column and if so doe any1 have a picture of it? my wipers dont dock properly at all on intermittent setting and single push setting......any ideas! its not in the engine compartment cos ive already checked there

regards

pollyp

Club Member
so it doesn't park correctly when it stops? check the position angle of the wiper crank arm at the motor. it should rest horizontal and parallel with the linkage connected to it.

what year's ur micra? the black intermittent wiper control relay box on my prefacelift is right next to the motor motor. the box just simply trips the motor to move every few secs (like how you single wipe. essentially a lazymans single wipe helper) but it's the rotating contact track in the wiper motor gear which dictates where the motor starts/stops.

hi

can someone give me the run down on changing the wiper relay thats supposed to be located with inside dashboard column and if so doe any1 have a picture of it? my wipers dont dock properly at all on intermittent setting and single push setting......any ideas! its not in the engine compartment cos ive already checked there

regards

Sorry mate but not parking on intermittent and single wipe, Sounds more like the motor is on its way out!
As pollyp said on pre 98 micra's the control module is mounted beside the motor, on facelift ones(98>03) its relay no3 in the fuse/relay box beside the battery

OP
OP
K
hi

i took out the black relay 3rd from bottom when looking at it left handside of the battery but can you tell me what the 2 blue relays and brown relays are? took them all out but eveything still seemed to work fine ie wipers. im sure the other relays are for something else just not sure what for. is there anyway this motor can be repaird by yourself. when i use the lazy mans wiper mode it stops half way up window much the same as intermittent however, when i use the normal to fast speeds when i turn off the wipers on the stalk the same thing happens. do you rekon its because when i move the stalk upwards past intermittent. i dont want to waste money on a new relay if its not the relay and vice versa with motor.

i very much appreciate all your help guys on this.

regards me

what year's ur micra? the black intermittent wiper control relay box on my prefacelift is right next to the motor motor. the box just simply trips the motor to move every few secs (like how you single wipe. essentially a lazymans single wipe helper) but it's the rotating contact track in the wiper motor gear which dictates where the motor starts/stops.

As polly says its the contact track inside the motor that starts & stops the motor.
Assuming your car is the facelift model 1998 on; the relay box below the bonnet is as follows:
1: A/C Relay (Brown)
2: Idle Speed Control (ISC) Relay (Black)
3: Wiper Motor Relay (Black)
4: Starter Motor Inhibitor Switch Relay-Auto Trans (Blue)
5: Engine Control (EC) Relay (Blue)
6: Engine Coolant Blower Motor Relay (Radiator Fans) (Blue)

OP
OP
K
As polly says its the contact track inside the motor that starts & stops the motor.
Assuming your car is the facelift model 1998 on; the relay box below the bonnet is as follows:
1: A/C Relay (Brown)
2: Idle Speed Control (ISC) Relay (Black)
3: Wiper Motor Relay (Black)
4: Starter Motor Inhibitor Switch Relay-Auto Trans (Blue)
5: Engine Control (EC) Relay (Blue)
6: Engine Coolant Blower Motor Relay (Radiator Fans) (Blue)

hi

thatnks k11micra and pollyp for your help! in the relay box i only have numbers 1,3,5 & 6 as above in your description. my car is a t reg 1.3 inspiration new face lift model. in a previous post regarding the speaker problem k11micra or pollyp i left my blaupunkt number for the code. i am going to check contact track inside the motor but could you tell me what im looking for ie a broken link or something. im assuming that the black part is the motor so is it easy enough to tell by looking at it or should i take a photo of it and post?

kind regards me

pollyp

Club Member
its prob just dirt or grease obstructing the track. grind off or drill the head of the rivet holding the wiper motor cover and open to reveal the wiper gear. take out the gear, degrease the track and contact fingers preferably with electronic cleaning solution like isoprophyl alchohol. regrease pivot n links, reassemble. on mine i bonded the cover back on with gasket sealant.

when refitting,
leave off the motor arm for now,
plug the motor in,
flip the single wipe to reset the motor to its start/finish point,
refit motor arm making sure its pointing flat parallel to the wiper linkage so that the wipers are resting at their lowest point.

OP
OP
K
hi

i removed the black plastic that covers the window wiper arms i looked at that part that comes out of the motor that attaches to these arms and it looks like its sitting horizontal. when i tried the intermittent setting i can see that it take about 3 or 4 times for it to reset to normal.

when you talk about the wiper gear is that the plate where the electrical plug is attached/covered? it looks like small rivet heads that covers when looking face on. when i remove this plate will anything fallout? can i chisel off the rivet heads rather than drill them?

does this have to be done while attached to the bodywork?

does any1 have a photo of this being done?

regards

OP
OP
K
does anyone know if the motor can be removed without taking the window wipers and plastic coverings etc... if they do have to be removed, is it a screw or bolt that keeps the rod and motor attached?

regards me

You should be able to chisel the rivets off to remove the plate with the electrical connector on.
The plate has the contacts that need cleaning/bending
Under the plate is the disk that tells the motor where to park. The cut-out is the park position. Not sure the pic is from a Micra but same principle.

W202%20Wiper%20MotorDSCN2365.jpg

OP
OP
K
thanks twister for the image.....all is now sorted bended the contacts upwards and is working perfect. just need to glue it together now :)

thanks guys for your help!!!!!!

superls

K10 Tuner
mine did this, exactly the same problem, i narrowed my problem down to a dry jount in the control box, check out my blog for details.

so it doesn't park correctly when it stops? check the position angle of the wiper crank arm at the motor. it should rest horizontal and parallel with the linkage connected to it.

Ok so after a thorough read at this post i think you have the answer to my Intermittent problem polly.
You see i have the same problem this chap had but my K11 Micra is a Pre Face-lift model, so i thinks it must be the square black box adjacent to the wiper motor.
Thing is i wonder if i can go to the scrapyard and snip the wires off an old micra and re-wire using connectors or crimps style and that hopefully solver the relay problem?
The only other thing about it is my micra doesn't have a rear wiper, so would it matter if i took the black relay fuse off an old micra (Pre-facelift) and swapped it over if the old micra has a rear wiper? i.
I know the problem is with my front wipers but the two pre-facelift models i saw today at the scrapyard were rear window wiper ones..and they were automatic gearboxes.
Hmm i dont want to confuse things but i basically just need to swap that black relay box over and that will solve the intermittent problem?

pollyp

Club Member
doesn't matter if it has a rear wiper system cos the front wiper system runs seperately to it

long as the front wiper relay unit has the same part # and plug type u just unplug from scrapcar n plug into ur car

doesn't matter if it has a rear wiper system cos the front wiper system runs seperately to it

long as the front wiper relay unit has the same part # and plug type u just unplug from scrapcar n plug into ur car
Well i changed the relay box for the wipers and it still stops halfway up the windscreen on Intermittent. I Despair :(

pollyp

Club Member
Well i changed the relay box for the wipers and it still stops halfway up the windscreen on Intermittent. I Despair :(

if the arm travels within the normal stroke (bottom of screen to upright) and it consistantly stops in the middle during "intermit" and after turning wipers off, then the wiper motor arm is attached to the shaft at the wrong angle.

when fitting the motor you have to make sure the motor arm is at its resting position (plug it in, turn wiper on/off and let it cycle 360deg till it fully stops before turning power off) and pointing horizontally to the RH resting.

if the arm travels within the normal stroke (bottom of screen to upright) and it consistantly stops in the middle during "intermit" and after turning wipers off, then the wiper motor arm is attached to the shaft at the wrong angle.

when fitting the motor you have to make sure the motor arm is at its resting position (plug it in, turn wiper on/off and let it cycle 360deg till it fully stops before turning power off) and pointing horizontally to the RH resting.
Hi Polly,
I still have the problem with the wiper but here's a quick question for you if you can help me please :)
My Micra is a K11 E With NO rear wiper. I wonder if i can take a wiper Stalk/switch from a K11 E WITH rear wiper funtion and it will still work on my car? (with the exception on no rear wiper available, and assuming the Plug/pins are the same fitting)
P.S sorry for pestering you on this subject .
I think a new Stalk/Switch will solve the problem. If it doesn't i will have to sacrifice my wallet to an Auto electrician.
Peace :)

pollyp

Club Member
i dunno if the wiper wiring between the two are similar but why not try unplugging the stork and manually connect the relevent terminal pins to recreate a working stork in intermit mode to see if the issue improves before buying a stork unnessecerily?

dsc07857yt.jpg