Wiper Relay on 94. Does or Dont It?

The front wipers have stopped on my 1994 Micra. There wasnt an intermittant wipe setting on the stalk, only slow or fast wipe. Suddenly last week and then stopped and started coupke of time till now -nothing just when i need them. I was caught out last night in heavy rain and in the dark with tight oncoming traffic it was an scary experience i dont intend to repeat again.
So just trying to check out a couple of things before i let the local mechanic have a look

I have the Haynes manual and im looking at the diagrams to see which components are involved. I seems to show a relay that is shared with the rear wiper (relay no 85 in main fusebox No5) but i cant find it. there are some square black units to right of fuse box under ignition but seem inaccessable. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Does this model have a wiper relay?
Is the relay only on models that had the intermittant setting or do they all have relay.

Worked out how to get the wiper stalk out.
washer and rear wiper work fine from same stalk
Can anyone help with instructions on how best to test if working?

Whats the best way to test motor without zapping it?

pictures of under the bonnet attached

thanks for any help with this
P1250906.JPG
P1250909.JPG
P1250912.JPG
P1250916.JPG

frank

Club Member
the intermittent ones have an extra black box near the wiper motor, and i would use a meter on the motor wires personally :)

thanks frank. turns out my version is 2 speed non intermittent therefore no relay.
got hold of the k11 workshop manual from this site which was great help testing the wiring and motor. the problem turns out to be the switch which i carefully dismantled and cleaned up the tracks, increased the tension on the contact springs and retested. failed the continuity tests but when i put back on car it started working again.
i couldnt find a two speed stalk so checked the wiring schematic to see if three speed stalk would match wiring pins. then i realise that there is an error in the workshop manual wiring diagram for the non intermittent RHD model. the pins for 18 and 4a are shown in opposite pin position instead of 16 and 17. so checking low and high speed had me checking wrong pins.
with the correct info now realise 2 and 3 speed stalks are interchangable.
ive made up a toggle switch on wires lg/r and blk which will give me a low speed emergency bypass switch
so far so good

thanks frank. turns out my version is 2 speed non intermittent therefore no relay.
got hold of the k11 workshop manual from this site which was great help testing the wiring and motor. the problem turns out to be the switch which i carefully dismantled and cleaned up the tracks, increased the tension on the contact springs and retested. failed the continuity tests but when i put back on car it started working again.
i couldnt find a two speed stalk so checked the wiring schematic to see if three speed stalk would match wiring pins. then i realise that there is an error in the workshop manual wiring diagram for the non intermittent RHD model. the pins for 18 and 4a are shown in opposite pin position instead of 16 and 17. so checking low and high speed had me checking wrong pins.
with the correct info now realise 2 and 3 speed stalks are interchangable.
ive made up a toggle switch on wires lg/r and blk which will give me a low speed emergency bypass switch
so far so good

Hey, I'm after the same thing, iv currently got the 2 speed stalk, but tried to swap the 3 speed stalk over and it doesn't work, how did you go about this? and did you change the whole unit including the indicator stalk or just the one? thanks

I have a two speed stalk I took out of mine, you will have to solder on the connector that connects to the rear wipe function. My looms have been updated to use relay and intermittent function. Took 2 weeks to find the right on on the bay

I have left enough wire to enable a solder joint. The dinlow I bought my switch from never had the connector and cut loom, to the point I almost couldnt use it...

Attachments

• 1391865220729.jpg
    1391865220729.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 645
Also when searching on the bay, the small black 3 pin connector isnt any good to you, you will need the large white and yellow plug/connector.