Wiper Linkage

One of my wipers went down just before Christmas, drivers side too so pretty important, and I really should be looking at fixing it.

Did attempt it the day it happened. Basically the arm to the drivers side wiper has come off the ball joint at the central motor bit & was dry as a bone. Spent ages trying to get it back on, eventually packed it with some nice thick grease & ran it for a while to check it stayed put which it did.

Sod's law though & continuing my trail of misfortune, as soon as I got the scuttle panel back on & everything back together it just broke again once it had the weight of the wiper back on so I just adjusted the other wiper to wipe most of the screen & it's been like that for ages now...

Guessing the ball joint on the linkage is too far worn? Is it a case of just replacing the one arm or is the whole linkage system gonna need swapping out?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
the linkage comes as a complete set. around 120 quid if I remember rightly... Good old nissan.. or go to a scrap yard for the same thing to happen again

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I would just do the whole thing, usually the wear comes from the beaings on the links to the wiper arm.. bearing bear and movement then kills the ball and joint.

OP
OP
odd_ball
£120... Crikey! Have you had to do yours then? I think maybe I might have to go for a scrap yard job for now then buy q new unit ready for next winter...

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I kept mine from the last motor just in case. mine broke in pissing down weather.. so decided new would be see to the future.

OP
OP
odd_ball
Yeah, mine went going up a bendy hill in driving rain... Had to make rest of journey home witg my head out the window ... Lucky was only about 2 minutes from the house...

Are the ball joints greased or do they have a plastic cup on them? Noticed on mine there was a rubbery, plastic ring inside the end of the linkage arm which I assumed was some kind of grommet but looking at it now is it a cap that sits all the way around the joint & has worn down?

Just found these on ebay... Worth a punt do you think?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-MI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20cf008742

SirChris

Educated Bodger
well like I said its not the linkage which is the issue, its the spindles which go and ruin the rods. its your choice. I just paid 100 odd quid for a new set because I knew I could just use them on the next motor.

OP
OP
odd_ball
What I need to know is, the linkage arm, the cup on the end of it, does it have a plastic cup in it thats worn down or is it metal on metal?

If it's a cup in there I'll give those new arms a go... If it's metal on metal then the ball is gonna be worn too so I should maybe look at a whole new system?...

If that makes sense?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Yes but the wear is not from the ball and cup directly. The wear is from the spindle of which connects to the wiper arm. The play is located in these spindals which allow the the ball and cup to be pushed in all angles.

Micra turbo... init

OP
OP
odd_ball
So although the ball & cup have parted at the centre motor bit, it's the wiper end up the other side that causes it? So would those ebay arms be any good?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Those will be fine. But they will wear down just as fast. Replace the spindles which the rods attach to.

Micra turbo... init