Wing Mirrors

Jus wondering how much hastle it is to but on new wing mirrors like M3, DTM, with there been no base plates already made? how much would it cost to get a set put on? cheers

kristian

One Way Mule
Get some and flush them onto the standard baseplates... This is what I did..

This is some M3 style with indicators and sidelights..

Unpainted and with the lights removed tho at the time of pic//

dscn24243px.jpg

kristian

One Way Mule
Not really, Although it depends on how confident you are in your abilities..

If your good with fibreglass and filler... This wont be difficult...

kristian

One Way Mule
Well I would have to do some ore mirrors... Somebody wanna sponsor me? Ill do them some mirrors.. if they provide all the materials + a tenner

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
I've seen Kristians and he has done a really good job (next he'll be fibreglassing a whole car!)

Obviously anyone could do with time and effort but Kris seems to know what he's doing!

Kristian - Is the car coming tomorrow?

K

K11_Dave

Sorry for being so short earlier (no offence Titch), had a search meself but couldn't find it :doh: though have written about them before

I doubt you will be able to find a direct fit baseplate for fitting your non-standard mirrors on to your Micra. There's 2 ways you can sort out the baseplates - firstly is to get some universal ones. The second way is to use yours, chop the mirror part off and use a belt sander to get the face flat (well, that's what I think i'd do next time)

There is a lot of chopping and fiddling involved. Mine were Fiesta baseplates - had to cut a load off the edges to get them to almost fit ok. I drilled a few holes in the metal behind the plate before putting the baseplate on. I used metal self tappers from the outside to hold it in place, then while holding the mirror in place with gaffa tape, used some normal self tapping wood screws which went through (from the inside) the holes in the metal, through the baseplate and into the mirror.

Looked a bit pants so finished off with bit of filler to hide the nasty job I made of it

Miror001.jpg

Miror003.jpg

Mirrors.jpg

A couple of us have had problems with the DTM mirrors though. Ideally, you should be sat inside while someone else moves the mirror around until you can see behind you properly. You can then hold it there while they sellotape it into place before bonding it. I didn't and can only see properly with one of them because there is so little movement in the glass itself

Good luck with it buddy :wasntme: