Windscreen wash

M

Melanie

I know this sounds like a really stupid question but does anyone know how much windscreen wash a 1.0 litre 2002 micra would hold?

I've had mine over a month now and I'm trying to use up the rubbish that the previous owner put in so that I can refill it with something that actually cleans the windows, but it seems to be a bottomless pit!! It doesn't matter how much I use, it just won't run out.

Also should there be some kind of dipstick or something in the lid of the screen wash holder? There are two grooves which look like they could hold something, and the bottle is a very long narrow one so it's impossible to see the bottom of it.

Thanks in advance

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Just hold it down permanently until theres nothing left. I know the K10 has a semi clear bottle so you can see how much remains, but not sure what the k11 is like.

I recommend halfords window stuff. They do a summer mix and a winter mix in different bottles, already mixed and ready to pour into your car :)

James

Chairman
I wouldn't suggest that really, you shouldn't really use the washer for more than 10 seconds let alone till its empty, the motor/impeller thingy doesn't like it.
As for where the bottle is stored, its right down in the bumper, in front of the front driverside wheel, so no chance of actually seeing the water level. I'll check the Haynes later and see what that says capacity-wise...
James.

OP
OP
M

Melanie

Thanks

I didn't think it would be healthy for the car if I held it down until it's empty. I could be there all day!!!

richmicratwista

Direct Detailing UK
yes dont hold it down or u will burn the motor out on it.

i never buy ready mixed screen wash prefer to just do it myself

its a lot cheaper 2

James

Chairman
It's actually not that much cheaper from my experience. Well from Halfords anyway, they seem to constantly have a Buy 1 Get 1 Free on their ready mixed screen wash, so £4.99 for 10 litres of screen wash doesn't seem that bad! (Or £5.99 if you want the premium stuff that has an "aromatherapy scent", It's actually quite pleasant :wasntme: )

S

squigbobble

Melanie said:
Also should there be some kind of dipstick or something in the lid of the screen wash holder? There are two grooves which look like they could hold something, and the bottle is a very long narrow one so it's impossible to see the bottom of it.
Yeah, there should be a clear flexible plastic tube. To use it u stick ur finger over the hole in the cap while is on and lift it out, it holds the fluid in the tube so u can see how much there is.

M

mankian

thing is with halfords stuff is, i dont know if i got really unlucky once, but i put some in the car and after a few weeks it went "off" so everytime i went to clean the windscreen it'd stink like some sort of eggy smell :S

so i empted the system then by holding the spray on - didnt harm my car but i DONT recommend it!

I just use plain water now, and get all the dead flies off with some fairy and a scourer :p

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
mankian said:
thing is with halfords stuff is, i dont know if i got really unlucky once, but i put some in the car and after a few weeks it went "off" so everytime i went to clean the windscreen it'd stink like some sort of eggy smell :S

so i empted the system then by holding the spray on - didnt harm my car but i DONT recommend it!

I just use plain water now, and get all the dead flies off with some fairy and a scourer :p

My mates did that in his Pug 306! Even took it back to the dealers to sort out until they realised what it was

Dont recommend tap water in the winter!! it will freeze and wont work when you want it to! Also, washing up liquid contains stuff which can fade paint so again not recommended!

OP
OP
M

Melanie

I tend to just steal what ever my boyfriend is using for his car, that way I don't have to pay for it!!

I just feel like I've been waiting for ever for the thing to empty. It goes on forever.

OP
OP
M

Melanie

Mine goes everywhere out of the front ones. I can't get any out of the back ones due to a blockage in the pipe which I am trying to sort out.

James

Chairman
My passenger side jet is crazy, the right one is ok, but the left one practically shoots over the whole car!

OP
OP
M

Melanie

Put abit of car shampoo and wax in it and you'll be able to wash your car as you drive!!