Why it's wrong and illegal to not insure your car properly

but your 22 mate. i thought you'd come 1 yr out of the "young and inexperienced drivers" pitfall. my last insurers tried it on too saying all insurers were doing the same. yeah right, compare the meerkat, thank you very muchly. (Y)

yeah i wish... i think it's cause my dad had a car stolen from outside our house a few years back :(

mmmm? cus when my car got stolen it went from a car park. so i have to declare this claim although it wasn't my fault. but i'm not sure if my mum and dads went up as the car was insured to their address. something else i didnt know karl. (Y)

i dont have to say anything to the insurance companies, i think it's just added to their out of date statistics

just went on compare the market...... £550 ttpf..... at the moment i'm paying around £1100 fc wtf

i dont have to say anything to the insurance companies, i think it's just added to their out of date statistics

just went on compare the market...... £550 ttpf..... at the moment i'm paying around £1100 fc wtf

i didnt think you had to tell them if it wasn't your fault but you do, crazy really. sometimes it doesn't change the price but some will see you as higher risk of claiming. if it was your dads car and you wernt insured on his policy then they dont need to know mate. try fully comp as sometimes it works out cheaper. and raising the excess too. £550 ftw mate. (Y)

Jeez Karl! I had an integra type r when I was 19 with one years no claim £1200! Then at 20 got my first skyline gtst £1500 now I insure 200sx scooby and the Micra monster for £900 I'm now 25 6 years no claims
Ps never get a scooby one because they're poo I have a very powerful one and I still prefere the Micra lol but if you ever have the dilemma impreza or gtst skyline choose the skyline one it's more tuneable two it's nicer more fun all round better car three because the impreza was £3000 @ 23 where as the gtst was £1200 mental

I've only had my licence for 2yrs and I only have 1 ncd due to chopping and changing insurance (if I stay with AA till october then I'll have 2ncd)

see it is confusing. i was with admiral and my 3 series was stolen and burnt out. they asked for a recent pic of the car. so i had a good one to send, it was spanking clean looking mint. they then phoned me saying the "body kit", alloys and leather interior were not declared. to which i told them like when insured it, it was an M// spec out of the factory. the bumpers skirts spoiler and leather came as standard. also when i told the guy it had 18" alloys but they were genuine Bmw ones he said i didnt need to declare them. now all of a sudden i'm being told i'm not insured. in the end they had to speak to Bmw and i was paid out. maybe a different insurer would not of wanted the picture? i dont know ?

Hehe this is what i mean mate, seems like your insurance company were trying everything to void your insurance...The nerve right?

As for me at the minute i'm paying 1.6k for my 1.0, im 18, but that quote was cheap as hell for fully comp (My friend pays like 3100 for his 1.2 clio i think it was, aint that rediculous? can't wait for first years of no claims!!)

well at the end of the day this is a brilliant debate! i must admit i never did declare my colour coded stuff does that count?????????????????

Hehe this is what i mean mate, seems like your insurance company were trying everything to void your insurance...The nerve right?

As for me at the minute i'm paying 1.6k for my 1.0, im 18, but that quote was cheap as hell for fully comp (My friend pays like 3100 for his 1.2 clio i think it was, aint that rediculous? can't wait for first years of no claims!!)

wowzas ! i'm paying 400 fully comp and insured to drive other cars. i was paying 1600 on my first car, nova gte. :p

well at the end of the day this is a brilliant debate! i must admit i never did declare my colour coded stuff does that count?????????????????

no idea mate, maybe you would be best to call them, thing is if you had an accident then its gonna cost them more to fix it with painted parts as it would to replace with black plastic parts so maybe yeah you should have to cover them. (Y)

haha i know this may sound silly but even a sticker on a car to be declared? i have ''if its not jap its crap'' on ma rear window, by sound of all the replys on here declare everything?

I've insured my car with 'exterior decorative changes' this covers me for everything I do with colour coding, stickers, bonnet scoops etc etc. So yeah, I have insured my stickers, you should do the same, it would suck if they didn't pay out because of a sticker.

does a sticker increase the value of the car? does it make the car more appealing to car thiefs? in the event of a repair will it cost the insurance more to fix? i'm guessing no but being covered for decorative items, i;e scoops seems fair. scoops will cost more to replace than a stock bumper but i cant see them putting the same like for like sticker on if your rear screen was smashed.

does a sticker increase the value of the car? does it make the car more appealing to car thiefs? in the event of a repair will it cost the insurance more to fix? i'm guessing no but being covered for decorative items, i;e scoops seems fair. scoops will cost more to replace than a stock bumper but i cant see them putting the same like for like sticker on if your rear screen was smashed.

bumper * i meant bonnet lol

I'm pretty sure the insurance companies see anything that wasn't on the car when it rolled out of the factory as a mod, even something as small as a sticker it's ridiculous i know but thats insurance for you :glare:

haha iv declared all my other mods eg alloys, air filter, stereo, exhaust etc best tell the insurance company bout a 3 inch sticker :p none of other mods has affected ma premium so sticker shouldnt do anythin thanks for letting know :)

I'm pretty sure the insurance companies see anything that wasn't on the car when it rolled out of the factory as a mod, even something as small as a sticker it's ridiculous i know but thats insurance for you :glare:

It's worse that that, you have to pay more to insure modifications but if you read the small print they won't repair mods, they will just replace with standard parts in the event of a claim.

Think of all those people driving round with their National Trust Membership stickers, hope they declared them.

In all seriousness, I am assuming that even factory fitted / optional extras fitted to a new car need to be declared.

Where do you stand though, if you bought a car second hand and it has factory fitted / optional extra(s) on it. You genuinely aren't aware that there is anything non-standard on the car as the change is so subtle and you haven't changed anything yourself? I am guessing that ignorance is no defence or would they look at whether it was reasonable for you to notice, like massive alloys or a huge exhaust for example?

And say for example you buy a second hand 1.0 Micra that has 1.3 cams in it (using a modification example from earlier in this thread). The seller doesn't mention these, maybe they were fitted by a previous owner to him/her and you know nothing about cars and wouldn't even think about taking an engine apart, how would you know? Is that just tough? Is it up to you to prove to the insurance company that you did not know they were there, you didn't have them fitted and could not reasonably have been expected to know that they were there?

My Micra is completely standard although it doesn't look it compared to other Micras - it is a K12 Active Luxury, so comes with all the internal and external kit and looks pretty sporty as standard. Therefore the only modification I am considering doing is suspension. Eibach springs for example, which I shouldn't imagine would increase my premiums by much a year (32, 3 years no claims).

Just to clarify and in light of my point above, I would always declare all mods, including mods not fitted by me. If I thought something wasn't stock, I would check it out and if it turned out not to be stock or if I was fairly certain that it wasn't stock, I would declare / discuss it with Ins Co.

a good point made about the cams, which was my first point all along. same with an almera air box on a k11. looks virtually stock. unfortunatly i dont have an answer only my opinion, to which my opinion got me into trouble. although if your kit was factory fitted then thats how it rolled out of the factory, then they are not modifications. and in the event of an accident or theft, i'd expect the insurance to pay out for these factory extras. i would take a few pics of the car in a good condition. that way you have proof of how the car looked before the accident/theft. worked with my bmw. (Y)

Factory fitted kits I'm pretty sure don't need to be declared due to when the insurance company put the reg in the factory spec including optional extras should be on the system as they'll be registered with the car, although it won't hurt to ask just to be on the safe side
Also the cam question I worked in a garage where insurance companies would send cars for us to strip to find any modifications which does include measuring cams whether they look standard or not, stripping ecus to find chips and look for any other things, and being from the boy racer background in my younger days I was very good at it lol

Coming from the classic car insurance (for my mini) i tell them about everything (from adjustable suspension to alloy doorhandles and factory fitted bodykits) and the majority of the time they say ok cool no extra charge but it does mean if i ever needed to claim there would be proof of me telling them from the phonecall (however the insurance for the mini does require six photos of the car, interior and engine as well).

see it is confusing. i was with admiral and my 3 series was stolen and burnt out. they asked for a recent pic of the car. so i had a good one to send, it was spanking clean looking mint. they then phoned me saying the "body kit", alloys and leather interior were not declared. to which i told them like when insured it, it was an M// spec out of the factory. the bumpers skirts spoiler and leather came as standard. also when i told the guy it had 18" alloys but they were genuine Bmw ones he said i didnt need to declare them. now all of a sudden i'm being told i'm not insured. in the end they had to speak to Bmw and i was paid out. maybe a different insurer would not of wanted the picture? i dont know ?

thats the reason they need the mods declared. I had this arguement with insurance company. You are not legal on the road without insurance. and your insurance is void if mods are not declared therefore you're driving without insurance. On your case its because of the bodylkit and the alloy wheels that your car stood out & was stolen. the mods attract thieves. the mods under the bonnet are the performance mods. each cars are rated based on their power/age/price. so if you add an air filter or ECU thats changed the power then you've increased power therefore need to pay the ap.

Example: getting a 1.0 litre micra & adding a few mods to increase from 58 to 65BHP will cost you more than a 1.4 micra with 85BHP. Hence me getting the 1.4 micra.

If you a moddifying the car then on their books you are already a boy racer. wanting the car to perform faster than standard. To their mind a person doesnt need an induction kit to do their daily shopping at tesco. Or OZ alloy wheels to drop off their kids to schools.

so if someone has mods its better to declare it. because accidents can happen at any point. and then its very bad when an insurance company tells you you're insurance is void because you didnt declaire everything.

hope this clarifies a few things :)

a good point made about the cams, which was my first point all along. same with an almera air box on a k11. looks virtually stock. unfortunatly i dont have an answer only my opinion, to which my opinion got me into trouble. although if your kit was factory fitted then thats how it rolled out of the factory, then they are not modifications. and in the event of an accident or theft, i'd expect the insurance to pay out for these factory extras. i would take a few pics of the car in a good condition. that way you have proof of how the car looked before the accident/theft. worked with my bmw. (Y)

In 2004 I had crashed my motor that I declared everything on & they offered £3.5k for it. I advised i paid double insurance for the mods (flip paint, alloys, exhaust, ITG filter). the claims department tried to argue the extra is paid as its twice as likely to stolen with mods. I said I paid to cover those mods they have to pay for it. Ithreatened with FSA & they they ended up paing another £3.5k for mods & half of my £600 excess back as I put in a valid complaint.

my GX had all the mods declared, i was hit by a motorcycle and it was entirely his fault, but i was almost taken to court because the insurance company took my car and decided there were mods i hadn't declared, it took 6 months to battle for my car back, when i did get it back it had been damaged in storage. i only won because they had a copy of the telephone recording that i made when i called them saying about the mods. insurance companies will actually lie to get out of paying, they will do anything and if you give them something then you are shafted.

sure you might get away with a cam change or what ever, but is it worth it? minimal extra money, or none at all, and when the worst happens they pay out.

i hate to make judgements here, but for someone who is 28, and with a kid on the way, you do seem to have quite a childish attitude to things. you must be able to see that this is not some kind of game, and you are not "sticking it to the man" by disobeying the law, cars are dangerous things, people die in them every day, and you have to respect the fact that your license is not a right, and you are lucky you are allowed to mod your car at all, you can return the kindness by following the rules. if everyone did this, insurance might be cheaper and police more lenient.

here in sweden the national speed limit is 45mph, you are not allowed to do any performance modifications. adding a turbo to a non turbo'd car can get you in jail, and the police will take your car and your licence if you speed, no 3 points, you loose it all in one go. so think about the freedoms you have with your car and what you are asked for in return, its a pretty good deal

This is the only piece of advice you need with regard to the subject. If there was some way of enforcing every law in this country, 99% of the population would have a criminal record, and you would be living in a hellish Orwellian nightmare (cliche i know).

My policy automatically covers me for certain mechanical mods so im not going to lose any sleep over having a sticker on my boot lol.

exactly ROBB
spot on,as ALMOST everyone speeds ,even if it half a mile above speed limit
keeping DOG in car travelling un restrained-------oh but thats ok,,says law

@ nismo. my bmw was not modified, it was factory fitted when new. the only mod was the 18" wheels which were bmw and when i tried to declare them the guy on the phone said it didnt matter as they were bmw wheels.

so my point again is, factory fitted items are not modifications that you need to declare, yet admiral screwed me over and made me pay for these mods on my next car (a £200 k10)

my GX had all the mods declared, i was hit by a motorcycle and it was entirely his fault, but i was almost taken to court because the insurance company took my car and decided there were mods i hadn't declared, it took 6 months to battle for my car back, when i did get it back it had been damaged in storage. i only won because they had a copy of the telephone recording that i made when i called them saying about the mods. insurance companies will actually lie to get out of paying, they will do anything and if you give them something then you are shafted.

sure you might get away with a cam change or what ever, but is it worth it? minimal extra money, or none at all, and when the worst happens they pay out.

i hate to make judgements here, but for someone who is 28, and with a kid on the way, you do seem to have quite a childish attitude to things. you must be able to see that this is not some kind of game, and you are not "sticking it to the man" by disobeying the law, cars are dangerous things, people die in them every day, and you have to respect the fact that your license is not a right, and you are lucky you are allowed to mod your car at all, you can return the kindness by following the rules. if everyone did this, insurance might be cheaper and police more lenient.

here in sweden the national speed limit is 45mph, you are not allowed to do any performance modifications. adding a turbo to a non turbo'd car can get you in jail, and the police will take your car and your licence if you speed, no 3 points, you loose it all in one go. so think about the freedoms you have with your car and what you are asked for in return, its a pretty good deal

i hope you've read the whole thread nex and not just parts of it. fwn

Very interesting thread declare or not? insurance fraud or not? I wonder how many members or under 25s are driving there own car but in parents name and only named as a 2nd driver when in fact there parents never drive the car, is also is wrong...insurance company's are now slowly closing this loophole as well

Very interesting thread declare or not? insurance fraud or not? I wonder how many members or under 25s are driving there own car but in parents name and only named as a 2nd driver when in fact there parents never drive the car, is also is wrong...insurance company's are now slowly closing this loophole as well

good point mate, also another issue i'm not fully aware of. i've always had my own insurance so never really thought about it. are they breaking the law? would their insurance be void? i get more confused by insurance every time someone posts new. :p

There breaking the law as there just supposed to be an occasional driver, its foolish as they dont generate any no claims so when they do finally get insurance in there name its still high.

i hope you've read the whole thread nex and not just parts of it. fwn

nope i got about half way down the first page, but i have read it all now and i am glad to see that you phoned your insurance company and sorry if i said anything offensive.

i had this same talk with my gf today, she is learning to drive and says that 5mph over the limit could be the difference between life and death if you hit someone. where as i said, the average speedo is out by about 5mph so it doesn't matter speeding a little bit. but she is right, it doesn't matter how unlikely it is that the insurance company knows the difference between 1.0 and 1.3 cams, or that on that open straight road with no cars, a small child jumps out, its about how much you will regret it when it does happen and that you only have yourself to blame.

the micra sports club is a special community and despite what stupid things we "might" do in private (and we all do) we are honest, considerate and sensible. i don't know of another forum like it.

i get more confused by insurance every time someone posts new. :p
thats exactly what they want, there is so much hearsay about insurance, and legal mods it is almost impossible to find out what is true. i wanted to know what i could legally do to my car. i ended up phoning VOSA, and they said i had to pay for a rule book with all the laws in it. they say ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but it is when you have to pay to know the law.

no its cool nex, i just assumed you hadn't read the whole thread as alot of members will read the title and first post then jump to page 2, then call me a ****. but its cool, i've learned my lesson.

yeah most speedos read about 4-5mph more than your doing. but she is totally right. i think i'd die if i ever hurt anyone. i've never had an accident in my 8 years of driving, and thats because i choose not to speed/use phone/eat etc. but i know there is a massive chance of an accident because of other road users. it makes no difference to engine size as every car is capable of 75+ mph, but i think pottering around in a stock 998cc takes away the right foot urges you get with higher performance cars. my moto is low and slow. (Y)

but i think pottering around in a stock 998cc takes away the right foot urges you get with higher performance cars. my moto is low and slow. (Y)

Hmm, on private road, my stock 998cc doesn't even break a sweat getting to 90 that fast, i hate how much grunt the 1.0 has got :S.

Its good to see people here declaring and that, i'm still running my micra stock, (Minus the slightly modified stock induction) but now the old ones back on, fuel economy is what im focusing on haha.

no its cool nex, i just assumed you hadn't read the whole thread as alot of members will read the title and first post then jump to page 2, then call me a ****. but its cool, i've learned my lesson.

yeah most speedos read about 4-5mph more than your doing. but she is totally right. i think i'd die if i ever hurt anyone. i've never had an accident in my 8 years of driving, and thats because i choose not to speed/use phone/eat etc. but i know there is a massive chance of an accident because of other road users. it makes no difference to engine size as every car is capable of 75+ mph, but i think pottering around in a stock 998cc takes away the right foot urges you get with higher performance cars. my moto is low and slow. (Y)

(Y)(Y) awesome :)

great work with no accidents, i have had enough accidents, 90% were not my fault or i wasn't even driving, even a crash in a public double decker bus!! cars fold up like paper, i have seen it happen and these things are just not toys,

but yea, i had a 2.0 turbo mondo for work, did about 1000 miles a week, and it was so easy to put my foot down, putting it in 6 gear and setting the cruise control to 100mph was so tempting with 5 hours of driving.

(Y)(Y) awesome :)

great work with no accidents, i have had enough accidents, 90% were not my fault or i wasn't even driving, even a crash in a public double decker bus!! cars fold up like paper, i have seen it happen and these things are just not toys,

but yea, i had a 2.0 turbo mondo for work, did about 1000 miles a week, and it was so easy to put my foot down, putting it in 6 gear and setting the cruise control to 100mph was so tempting with 5 hours of driving.

thanks man, i just dont loon around or take risks, and i think thats because i rode motorbikes before i got my car licence. i believe when you learn to ride, so much is drilled into you about being aware and looking further than the car infront. you have to be on your guard and treat every bend like an accident black spot. i think i'd be good driving pursuit for the police. :p

Hmm, on private road, my stock 998cc doesn't even break a sweat getting to 90 that fast, i hate how much grunt the 1.0 has got :S.

Its good to see people here declaring and that, i'm still running my micra stock, (Minus the slightly modified stock induction) but now the old ones back on, fuel economy is what im focusing on haha.

fuel economy, second that. (Y)

@ nismo. my bmw was not modified, it was factory fitted when new. the only mod was the 18" wheels which were bmw and when i tried to declare them the guy on the phone said it didnt matter as they were bmw wheels.

so my point again is, factory fitted items are not modifications that you need to declare, yet admiral screwed me over and made me pay for these mods on my next car (a £200 k10)

anything to get extra money from you as they know you have to pay the extra or drive without insurance. With your car being a K10 mate cant you get a classic car insurance? alot of people are getting their Lexus soarer & old skylines insured under classic insurance & paying 1/4 of normal price. I remember my friend insuring with Liverpool & Victorie & they didnt care about cosmetics mods. I think they stopped that now.

anything to get extra money from you as they know you have to pay the extra or drive without insurance. With your car being a K10 mate cant you get a classic car insurance? alot of people are getting their Lexus soarer & old skylines insured under classic insurance & paying 1/4 of normal price. I remember my friend insuring with Liverpool & Victorie & they didnt care about cosmetics mods. I think they stopped that now.

yeah they sure screwed me over. i dont own the k10 anymore, i got it as a runner till the insurance paid out. how old does the car have to be to get classic insurance?

Back