Why has nobody else done this before?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
Firstly I'm an engineer, and I can't really figure out why this hasn't been done.

Take a look online and there are some poor attempts at this job, but nothing like what I'm thinking of.

Here goes.

Brake fluid cooling radiator or cooling fins for the reservoir.

Think about it.

Usually the first thing to go on a track day is the brakes, I know I've done it.

And what happens? Well heat transfers from the calipers to the hydraulic fluid in the pipes and radiates through back to the fluid reservoir.

When they get too hot, the fluid begins to boil and the water content of the fluid turns into steam, which is compressible...... And you don't want that in the braking system.

Now I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "but brake fluid doesn't flow like coolant or power steering fluid"
And you'd be correct, however, during the pressing of the pedal, movement is created inside the pipes. This is how the calipers actuate.

This movement on a race track would generate enough movement to push the fluid through a coiled pipe or even a small cooler.

But don't forget fluid motion and thermodynamics. Hot fluid will displace cold fluid in the pipes generating a flow all of its own...

I'm still in utter shock nobody has done this before and all they're counting on to keep their brakes cool is a duct and vented discs.

So riddle me this, why?

My thoughts and happy to be corrected (also an engineer since we're pointing this out :p):

Your cooling coil will massively flex under load which will make your pedal feel horrible; Essentially just like brake fade I guess, admittedly you can overcome this by having a larger wall thickness but that means loosing the cooling effect which was the purpose of the coil in the first place.

I agree with the fluid movement in theory, but in practice in such a low volume closed system as your brake lines I don't to a degree. There is almost no movement, yes your pedal stoke pushes the fluid but the hot fluid in the calipers doesn't make its why to your reservoir. The fluid just dissipates its heat within itself and your fluid temp raises as one rather than circulatory system imo.

Lastly which I think is probably the main reason why its not been done before; there are a lot of easier ways to cool your brakes. And in properly designed race/rally/fast cars they have been engineered in from the beginning. Things as simple as larger vented discs, huge donkey **** hose pointing directly at the brakes, water jackets/water cooled calipers or even total loss water systems. I am all for innovation however!

Also cooling fins on the reservoir are semi-pointless as that itself gets no cool fresh air just sat in stagnant warm air in the engine bay.

Well it has to a point at least.

Plenty of people have used a brake fluid re-circulation system to allow brake fluid into the caliper one side and out of the other. The opinions on it are very varied though in terms of effectiveness and mainly focus on building in additional risks of failure into a fairly critical system. e.g. if you leave it out, it costs you nothing and doesn't create any additional risks.

I've never encountered boiled fluid in any of the cars I've tracked but they all have good ducting, fluid and pads suited for the job...

And there's the problem.
The reservoir sees no cooling air, but it should.

When your brake fluid boils, the entire system is boiling, including in some cases, popping the cap off the reservoir itself and bubbling up through the system.

Pedal feel is utterly subjective and can be altered.
Having a cooler in the system would be no different to having extra lines, if the system is full of fluid, the action of pressing the pedal will relate directly to the movement of the pistons in the calipers.... No matter what the length of pipe. To a certain point anyway.

It just seems that all of this "ducting" and "caliper cooling " is great but, if the fluid traveling through the system is hot, no matter what you do to the outside of the caliper, it's going to be heating up from the inside.

All it would need would be a box with a coil of brake pipe inside. The pipe would have cooling veins and the box would have a steady stream of cool air or even, water. Thus removing the latent heat held within the fluid.

I am bewildered.. Lol

No matter what the length of pipe.

Well no. The longer the pipe the greater the compliance. And coiling drastically increases the length of pipe used.

However saying that I am in no way disagreeing with you, I think you could get something like that to work, as Low says its already been done apparently. It's just, in my opinion there are far easier and more reliable/proven ways to never have the issue.

Never boiled fluid personally
1.5" air ducts to the caliper.
Constant air turbulence from the wheel, with wing vent to let heat escape
And all has gone well

Back