Whoa! Strange crunching noise from the engine when revving....

Hi guys - haven't been on for a while since I had the CV joint issue. That's all fixed now. No biggie.

Noted a weird thing a few weeks back though. When changing gears and pulling off/re-applying throttle the gearbox feels like its making a knocking noise or something isn't re-engaging smoothly. I figure that is probably an engine or gearbox mount. We're going to have a look at that at the garage on Monday.

So the real problem (which I don't think is related to the last one) is a noise coming from the engine. Starting up with the handbrake on in neutral, the engine idles perhaps rougher than I would expect. That said, the bonnet being open and trying to listen for roughness probably makes it sound worse. When applying throttle through the revs, at some point it makes a crunching sound similar to a badly engaged gear. Now this is in neutral, mind.

Oil is at a good level when cold. Coolant a little low but within range. Just been in for a fluid change, new filters. No cheese under the filler cap.

Just going to go back out to check the engine with my wife (a screwdriver is a better stethoscope but hey, use what you've got) to see if it's torquing out of placement excessively....

OP
OP
Prostheta
Couldn't replicate the issue. Engine is relatively cold only having been brought from the car park to the front of our house and started a couple of times for less than a minute for these tests. Hmph. I wouldn't like to imagine if it is something critical like rod bearings since we can nary afford minor repairs, never mind an engine rebuild....