Who has uprated cams in their k11?

Who can tell me whether they make a world of a difference in comparison to the cg13 stock cams and what the exact difference is (have all the necessary mods for the cams)?

What is the difference between the 773 rally cams and the tomei ones?

Help appreciated

Micka.

you need to raise the compression ratio as well, ideally micka (to get decent gains)
and i think the spec of the 773,s and tomei,s are pretty much the same (256deg 8.5mm lift) :)

Thing is though you arnt going to get the best from the cams anyways without some decient management, personaly a would have ECU work done first if you are wanting bhp increase as you will get more from it than cams then move onto cams ect ect

Thing is though you arnt going to get the best from the cams anyways without some decient management, personaly a would have ECU work done first if you are wanting bhp increase as you will get more from it than cams then move onto cams ect ect

Better off putting the cams in first before the map though surely?

Well yes that would be true lads but no doubt the cams would be brought then that would be it 9 times out of 10 people don't bother to follow on with a half decent re-map meaning you pay the money for cams not get the full potential

so my view is, if it's not going to done right, spend the money on somthing that will give you a decint gain

773 NME Cams

773 Rally cam Spec Nissan Micra

Inlet Open 26 BTDC Close 58 ABDC

Exhaust Open 58 BBDC Close 26 ATDC

Duration

V/L
9.09mm
9.04mm

V/C
0.210mm
0.254mm

F/L

LATDC
1.70mm
1.65mm

Rocker Ratio = 1.00 : 1

Overlap = 52 Deg

Timing = Valve timing figures, measured in crank degrees

Duration = Total duration, measured in crank degrees at end of ramp

VL = Valve lift measure in mm

FL = Valve full lift measured in crank degrees ATDC inlet, BTDC exhaust.

LATDC = Valve lift at top dead centre measured in mm

Not what I'd call wild ;) Been running a set in my supers for around a year now. Previously had a set of NME 254's in there. As micra69 said, it's not worth fitting cams unless you are prepared to re-map the ecu. My car was somewhat the guinea pig for Ed at Fusion to work on for re-map testing the ecus.......he's a whizz at re-mapping any Nissan ecu ;) The gains are worth while in all respects and if I remember correctly we gained around 10hp over the standard map with plenty of torque to boot on my car. The other main benefit is the car passed the MOT, which a standard k11 will not do and will require considerable faffing to get it through, (maybe different for Frank on his diy LPG). In addition cam upgrades require GA16 injectors to be fitted, as even with 254's you'll be fully open on the injectors which is NOT safe.

I would recommend anyone not opting for ecu upgrades to forget cams........it's the best part of £550 for a fair bit of pain, which you'll probably end up selling on later if you're not careful. If you're serious drop Ed at Fusion a PM, he'll be able to give you sound advice and costings on ecu upgrades :) Would be really nice to see more properly mapped k11's kicking about, as they really do fly when well setup :D

Not what I'd call wild ;) Been running a set in my supers for around a year now. Previously had a set of NME 254's in there. As micra69 said, it's not worth fitting cams unless you are prepared to re-map the ecu. My car was somewhat the guinea pig for Ed at Fusion to work on for re-map testing the ecus.......he's a whizz at re-mapping any Nissan ecu ;) The gains are worth while in all respects and if I remember correctly we gained around 10hp over the standard map with plenty of torque to boot on my car. The other main benefit is the car passed the MOT, which a standard k11 will not do and will require considerable faffing to get it through, (maybe different for Frank on his diy LPG). In addition cam upgrades require GA16 injectors to be fitted, as even with 254's you'll be fully open on the injectors which is NOT safe.

I would recommend anyone not opting for ecu upgrades to forget cams........it's the best part of £550 for a fair bit of pain, which you'll probably end up selling on later if you're not careful. If you're serious drop Ed at Fusion a PM, he'll be able to give you sound advice and costings on ecu upgrades :) Would be really nice to see more properly mapped k11's kicking about, as they really do fly when well setup :D

Everybody has a different story on this. I have the NME 254 in mine and it gave me a 8bhp gain which adds it up to 100 bhp with a Janspeed exhaust and CAI. To pass MOT i had to put in a Apexi fuel controller and give it 10% less fuel so that story is someway correct but has also to do with removing the first cat when the Janspeed came in.

The K11 map is HIDEOUS with almost any mods. Even a Janspeed exhaust throws it right out of the window.

People who dont really understand how this all works never appreciate the difference it makes, but the ECU is the single most important part of the car, and so its critical that it knows what is going on to ensure everything is working correctly.

Its not a black science, in fact from my point of view its very simple, but a typical Micra owner is not willing to shell out £400 odd to get it done properly. Which is odd when most people would spend that easily on ice/wheels or something.

The K11 map is HIDEOUS with almost any mods. Even a Janspeed exhaust throws it right out of the window.

People who dont really understand how this all works never appreciate the difference it makes, but the ECU is the single most important part of the car, and so its critical that it knows what is going on to ensure everything is working correctly.

Its not a black science, in fact from my point of view its very simple, but a typical Micra owner is not willing to shell out £400 odd to get it done properly. Which is odd when most people would spend that easily on ice/wheels or something.

Because of the MOT problem i had since i put in the Janspeed exhaust i tried to get it done over here in Holland but nobody seems to be able to do it otherwise i would have done it long time because i know there is more power to gain if i do a ECU overhaul so it has nothing to do with the money Ed but over here they don't know how to do it and to come over to England to do it is not an option really. Don't you spend any vacation in Holland:p

Because of the MOT problem i had since i put in the Janspeed exhaust i tried to get it done over here in Holland but nobody seems to be able to do it otherwise i would have done it long time because i know there is more power to gain if i do a ECU overhaul so it has nothing to do with the money Ed but over here they don't know how to do it and to come over to England to do it is not an option really. Don't you spend any vacation in Holland:p

Fair point, I cannot work on a car I cant touch (well not easily anyway!)

Frank, thats more luck than anything, it will still be far from optimised. The ECU will have the wrong AFM calibration map and be wrong for the injectors. You would make gains if it was setup properly.

Frank, thats more luck than anything, it will still be far from optimised. The ECU will have the wrong AFM calibration map and be wrong for the injectors. You would make gains if it was setup properly.

i dont doubt that gains can be made from a remap ed, but whenever you,re running in closed loop, it will run at stoich whatever wont it surely ?

There is only a certain margin where the ECU will run closed loop. If after a few attempts it fails it seems as though closed loop is ignored. It doesn't throw up an error to this either it simply doesn't work, I suspect yours is running open loop and lean.

Are you aware your MOT emissions test was a NON CAT test? With that in mind its no surprise that you passed that since its very easy to do.

However the lambda reading would have been off (not tested on your test) so had it had a proper cat test it would have failed.

Getting the lambda between 0.97-1.03 and having HC below 0.3% on a K11 Micra with no cat is quite difficult.

"Its not a black science, in fact from my point of view its very simple, but a typical Micra owner is not willing to shell out £400 odd to get it done properly. Which is odd when most people would spend that easily on ice/wheels or something."

totaly agree with you on this ED! Havin owned micrad from a young age I was always spending money on the wrong things for the micras and never having some form of management unlit nearly 2 years ago every micra I have owned has had some form of management it makes the world of.
For me the ECU on any car is my first priority before lowering and wheels ect ect because let's face it they don't make the car perform.

Back