Whiteline woes

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Good evening micras peoples. Recently I lowered my car, using matt Humphris springs and an early style whiteline panhard rod, with the adjuster right up at the end that goes to the body. All was going well in he low life, until I started getting a distinct 'death knock' and a shudder at speeds over 50 coming from the rear of the car. The noise was apparent when rocking the top of the wheel back and forth while it was on the ground, so at first I checked the wheel bearing which was in fine working order. After a session of diagnosing said knocking noise, we found the panhard rod lock nut had loosened itself off, causing the axle to rock side to side by approximately 1mm. It was re-tightened to within and inch of its life, which we hoped would stop the problem entirely.

This was not the case, as it started up the other morning on the way to a car show. I was driving up there with friends, and while I went passed him he looked across to my car from his and seemed to indicate something was moving a lot. I slowed down to a safe speed and eventually caught back up to him at his house, where he explained the wheel was moving forward and backwards while the shuddering feeling was happening. We investigated this further, and noticed with the panhard nut loosened, the bushes in the arms have a huge amount of movement, causing the axle to rotate and twist, but with the panhard tight they've a lot less movement.

Long story short, has anyone had problems with the whiteline panhard rods loosening themselves and if so what was your way of fixing it

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

DEdgeMac

Buy & Sell Member
Dodgy locking nut mate, I'd remove the bar with it being threaded tbh.

You could try red thread locker to see if that helps though.

OP
OP
LiamC

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Dodgy locking nut mate, I'd remove the bar with it being threaded tbh.

You could try red thread locker to see if that helps though.
Thanks for the reply. Over lunch yesterday I loosened off the nut, and tried dripping some green loctight (industrial stuff with the activating spray) down into it but couldn't do anything major in the 20 minutes of lunch time I had spare

I'll remove it this weekend and get some thread lock into it properly

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app