• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

White smoke

I changed the oil on my new to me k10, suddenly it started blowing white smoke and running rough. Any ideas as to what it might be? Thanks in advance!

I used 10/40. But when I drove it a bit my coolant level also went down quickly. Makes me think it’s the intake manifold gasket. One spark plug was wet. The rest seemed fine. Will try to do a compression test next

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
White smoke is usually associated with coolant getting into the combustion chamber, so head gasket is sadly the likeliest culprit...........:(

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
The intake manifold on these also has coolant flow through, it that a possibility in this car?
Looking at the inlet manifold gasket, that is a strong possibility........:)
J5370Gh.jpg

My thought was if I have low compression it’s probably the head gasket as opposed to the intake manifold gasket. Would you agree? Any other way to diagnose?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
My thought was if I have low compression it’s probably the head gasket as opposed to the intake manifold gasket. Would you agree? Any other way to diagnose?
Low compression universally across all four cylinders would suggest a worn engine, while low compression on one, or two adjacent, cylinders, can point to head gasket failure, though badly seating valves on those cylinders would also give a low compression reading.................
Taking into account the findings of the above diagnosis, an inlet manifold gasket is less than a tenner and probably quite quick/easy to change and would eliminate the possibility of that being the cause...........