Whirring noise

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
Well not posted in this section before but needs must!
Ive just bought a 04 k12 998cc and it has a loud whirring noise not sure from where but it seems the nearside. When you go faster it gets louder and faster also. When you coast the noise is still there until you come down to about 20mph and then it dissipates. The faster you go the louder it gets and when you coast at speed it stays loud until you stat slowing down any ideas? gearbox, bearing, while im here is there a way to check level in gearbox and where is the fill.grr

wheel bearing ken ? jack the offside up and run it up to about 70, and if there,s no whirring, it wont be the g/box eh :grinning:

cheers frank i will give it a go in the morning will do both sides just to be sure it seems as if its the nearside and it gets very loud the faster you go. do you have to replace the whole hub or can the bearing be done

the nearside may not whirr without any weight on it ken, but you should be able to feel the vibration through the leg with your hand tho eh
and its all clio running gear i believe, so dunno lol :grinning:

In other words there crap? think it might end up on eBay lol. I will see this morning if I can source the noise, it is-int the engine as ive ran that up to 3000 rpm standing still and it is sweet so it has to be drive train im going to have a search for workshop manual online pdf will see you laters

Frank I ran car jacked up on drivers side but vibration was very very scary I only got up to 30mph and had to abandon it. I have never had one shake as much as that so im off to mates mot station this morning to use four poster so I can get it up and give it a good looking at......any further ideas before i go as I cant get on ramp till 11 o'clock...:down:

had it down on four poster offending wheel is the nearside back just waiting for a lift back down to use press as i don't have a vice anymore (thanx to rob for breaking it) so all should be well once i get it back and fitted up. out of interest anyone know the torque settings for rear hub nut:p

I currently have the same problem. Sounds like a fighter plane above 40mph! Had same problem a few months back with o/s/r bearing, and had that fixed, but this time I can't work out which wheel it's coming from. Garage suggestion is just to leave it until it gets bad enough to detect by jacking up and spinning wheels, as I did with last one. Annoying though - and noisy. Bah.

not the best solution but good advice, and i know were your coming from plus its darn disorientating as you cant tell in the cabin from which wheel its originating, there not hard to do I remember having a renault 5 gt and had to do those as well always the rear. Out of curiosity how much is the garage charging for changing one..

Various extortionate quotes up to £130, but £70 was the cost of the replacement at my local garage.

Got noisy enough to detect which wheel it was earlier this week. Turned out to be the same bearing as was fixed last time (strange but true), so repaired FOC.

Back