whining noise from engine

djlee_dj

Ex. Club Member
when driving i can hear a slight whine/whistle from the engine ...as the revs grow it whistles more

please leave thoughts on what i could possibly be !

thanks

when sitting at idle it doesnt do it when revving !!!

thanks again :)

i got a kinda similar problem but its when i open the tb(throttle body) fully ie pedal to the floor it sounds like its got some weird tingling noise...only happens when i floor it n when its not picked up in the rev's

yip probably the box/clutch, my old super s did it and my now SR does it, and also my s inlaws T plate 30000 miler did it aswell, common problem i think if its the box and clutch, regards MTB.

hmmm could it be in the audio? i got a buzz that changed with the revs and fixed it with a suppressor

i have same problem i think :) noise goes when i put foot on the clutch gets worse as i accelerate, but dissapears in higher gears. someone told me it was my thrust/release bearing in the clutch

NiteSite said:
i have same problem i think :) noise goes when i put foot on the clutch gets worse as i accelerate, but dissapears in higher gears. someone told me it was my thrust/release bearing in the clutch

;) got it in one

not part of the clutch set. box rebuild or new box unfortunatly

ill upload a pic when i get home of the results if left unattented

That's what happened with my 4 speed K10 box. I went for pot luck and got a 5 speed from a scrappy for £40, I was lucky - it was fine. But just remember you don't know how good the box is until its fitted, and most scrappies don't do refunds.

James.

2nd hand one would cost you around £80 upwards, but remember you cant trust scrappy boxes as james said. Im not to sure about a new box though as i said in my reply, my s inlaws box was wheezing/whineing and her car only had 25000 when she got it, she got the oil changed etc but it was doing it at 30000 mile odds, nissan checked it out and found nothing wrong, they said it was just characteristic of the car, in other words most do it i think, well both of mine have and a few other micra owners i know do it aswell MTB.

MTB said:
2nd hand one would cost you around £80 upwards, .

WHAT??

were do you go for yours
i got full engine and box or less than that,.
you can buy a 1.2 rusted to shozi bodywor full car for less than that lol
and just take the engine out

my car makes the whining noise when i floor it in 2nd, but after 10mins or so of driving it doesnt make the noise. if u dont like the noise it makes turn ur music up so u cant hear it, simple lol

untill your central release bearing shears whilst you at 70 on the motorway locking up the gearbox jamming the gear grinding u to a hold.
personally i wouldnt like to be in this situation at 70. i was lucky i was at around 25 when it happend,. and i thought the bottom of the engine had dropped of. thats how hard it jammed up jerking the car forward whilst the wheels locked etc. most prob this happening at greater speed would most prob bend shear most of the engine part. causing not only to replace the box but the engine and if you were at such a speed having to replace your car. and if your ulucky NOT being able to replace the people that you have just killed because the car locked up and shot you sideways into oncomoing traffic or cars on ither side of you.

personally i think it stupid telling someone to do this when its quite obvious you dont know what is the problem. and dont kno what severaties can be caused by LEAVING problems when u first find them.

i dare to ask your opinion if i was to here my brakes grinding as metal hits metal.

o_O

i seriously shiver at the consequences.

please dont advise people to ignore problems. by turning up the stereo.

and as per the page on every response

IMPORTANT: - Please ensure your reply is constructive and adds to the discussion
- Pointless posts will be removed and may result in you losing posting privileges

Quickdraw, well the jap scrappys up here would probably charge you i would say a minimum of £80 for the 1.0/1.3 box, i know from experience as i have enquired for peeps and also at one point a box for my old super s, maybe the prices vary from area to area?, regards MTB:].

they must . i know though that they are alot cheaper up here as they are alot more accessable. especially with them being made up here.

:D

i dare to ask your opinion if i was to here my brakes grinding as metal hits metal.

IF THAT WAS AIMED AT ME...

its called a joke mate, and if ur brakes made that noise id serioulsy suggest u change ur pads before u start welding.

i have a ABC DIPLOMA, ABC CERTIFICATE, LEVEL 2 PROGRESSION AWARD IN MOTOR VEHICLE STUDIES

p.s iv found out the induction kit on my car makes the whilsling sound not my clutch as i replaced everything in there when i pt my new clutch on just before xmas, take my induction kit off it dont happen

Alternator bearings can also do this. I had one that sounded like a supercharger once.

Ed

hughes_16v said:

IF THAT WAS AIMED AT ME...

its called a joke mate, and if ur brakes made that noise id serioulsy suggest u change ur pads before u start welding.

i have a ABC DIPLOMA, ABC CERTIFICATE, LEVEL 2 PROGRESSION AWARD IN MOTOR VEHICLE STUDIES

p.s iv found out the induction kit on my car makes the whilsling sound not my clutch as i replaced everything in there when i pt my new clutch on just before xmas, take my induction kit off it dont happen

YES you may matey. it was not aimed at youRückleuchten VW T4ersonally. the thought of it was AIMED but the message wqas aimed at those that are NEW to the modding and maointanace. and to go give them an idea of what is happening.

you may know what your doing some most defiantly dont.

all i was saying is for safety reasons please please please do not (EVEN jokingly) (or at least note that it is a joke) of ignoring a problem with the car

Ed said:
Alternator bearings can also do this. I had one that sounded like a supercharger once.

Ed

thats the symtoms Ed

since i added more power in the ICE department

i had my suspucions about the alternator :)

Back