Whining gearbox

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, and very new to Micras, this being my first and as with most old cars, it does have a few problems.

My biggest issue at the moment is the gearbox whine. It sounds like a mini...I know that most of them are 1.0 also, but surely the box shouldn't sound like this?

The car is a 1996 1.0, I think it's going to need replacing sooner rather than later. Can anybody tell me if these boxes are known for problems or failures please.

Found this on ebay, what do you think??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...s_SM?hash=item5ad3526aa7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Also, the gearstick sort of flops around al over the place and isn't very accurate any ideas?

pollyp

Club Member
check if the gearbox has enough oil by removing intake pipe to access the speedo cable going into the gearbox, unscrew the speedo cable, unscrew the 10mm bolt, remove the speedo pinion unit up out the gearbox then poke a stick down the hole to the very bottom and check how far up the gear oil level is against the haynes spec.

also sounds like the gear linkage bushes are worn too. is it difficult to get into 1st/2nd gear and does the stick rattle on the motorway?

I would change the gearbox oil first
I did mine today actually and its very quiet now - mines a 1275 1993 with 39k on it
Oil was quite clean but 15 odd years old

3 litres of EP80/90 GL4 = If you buy comma its about £3 per litre
(You can find local stockist on the comma website)
Dont go to halfords unless you want to pay £7 per litre :)

You will also need a length of tube and a small funnel as there isnt enough room to get the bottle by the gearbox (its MUCH easier with hose and a mini funnel)
Put the new bottles of oil in a HOT bowl of water and it will fill up quicker - obviously unopened :)

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
I had my box and clutch changed this morning for possibly the same reason. It's a really annoying noise isn't it! The problem in my case was worn diff bearings, and it's all sorted now :)

OP
OP
O
Thanks so much for all of your thoughts chaps, but it does need a new box, 1st can be troublesome and it whines like it's got straight cut gears. No use to me at all.

Tom, could I ask how much you paid for the new clutch and box to be fitted please and how much did you pay for a replacement box and where did you source it from??

Will the 1.3 box fit??

frank

Club Member
Thanks so much for all of your thoughts chaps, but it does need a new box, 1st can be troublesome and it whines like it's got straight cut gears. No use to me at all.

Tom, could I ask how much you paid for the new clutch and box to be fitted please and how much did you pay for a replacement box and where did you source it from??

Will the 1.3 box fit??

the pre98 1.0 g/box/clutch/shafts etc are different to the other k11,s btw ohms :eek:

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
I paid £270 for all parts and labour, but had to drive 360 miles to Leeds and back to get it done. Anywhere round here would be £550+. Saved me a lot of money driving up there!