Which trolley jack to buy?

It's that time again when I have to prepare the micra for the MOT. I am looking for a good trolley jack that won't break after using it a few times. I bought one from aldi for £10 that went down by itself. My uncle had a halfords one that leaked. It seems that trolley jacks are mostly crap. Is there one out there that will work long term?

pollyp

Club Member
my 2ton halfords trolley jack has served me well over the yrs but as with any machinery just like owning a car,
with regards to the engineering & manufacturing quality of the product to start from, u get what u pay for.
and then another big influence of the tools reliability is upto the users ie, how it's been used/abused/overstressed, how long, storage condition, maintenance.
take care of ur tools/vehicles and they'll last as long as they're designed for, till it becomes uneconomical for the owner to sustain.

I had e Seally one, lasted years but lent it to someone, never saw it again. For all I know it's still going!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had a Halfords 2 ton trolley jack for about 10 years now ..... It leaks if you store it on its side, but then I bought a cheap bottle of jack oil and top it up every year or so ..... works fine still....... its never let itself down ... although when it gets low on oil it will only jack up a limited height.
Far as I am concerned its only got to lift the car so i can get the axle stands underneath ..... seen a few people squashed chancing a trolley jack that`s let go ....

If you can get to Costco get the Arcan alloy Jack. Although, they have changed the design since last year, £89 incl vat is a very good price And quality jack.

Simular Q hd been posted on a non-micra forum I'm on and I found this on Halfords for £50:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-5-piece-lifting-kit

Halfords 5 Piece Lifting Kit Extra Info
  • 2 Tonne Trolley Jack with Short Wheel Base has a lifting range of 14cm to 34cm. Made with a durable welded construction
  • 2 x 2 Tonne Axle Stands have a combined weight capacity of 2 Tonne
  • Padded Car Creeper allows for comfort whilst carrying out under car maintenance
  • Wheel Wrench with 17/19mm socket allows for a wheel change
  • 2 x Wheel Chocks allow the vehicle to secured in place

OP
OP
davidxzy
Simular Q hd been posted on a non-micra forum I'm on and I found this on Halfords for £50:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-5-piece-lifting-kit

Halfords 5 Piece Lifting Kit Extra Info
  • 2 Tonne Trolley Jack with Short Wheel Base has a lifting range of 14cm to 34cm. Made with a durable welded construction
  • 2 x 2 Tonne Axle Stands have a combined weight capacity of 2 Tonne
  • Padded Car Creeper allows for comfort whilst carrying out under car maintenance
  • Wheel Wrench with 17/19mm socket allows for a wheel change
  • 2 x Wheel Chocks allow the vehicle to secured in place

OP
OP
davidxzy
I didn't buy a trolly jack but I will bookmark this thread. I managed to drive the car up on some wooden blocks and that gave me enough room to paint the axle and sills. At first, I tried jacking the car up a with scissor jack but then noticed the sill starting to compress under the weight, so maybe it's rusty inside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidxzy
Well, I was hoping to upload some pictures of my new trolley jack, Kunzer WK 1032, that I ordered from Ama$on but instead they sent out a sofa bed. The delivery man didn't even take it out of the van as it was obviously the wrong thing. I requested a refund via the website. I hope I get my money back.

andy

Ex. Club Member
they look a good strong well built jack, bit over priced for my liken, the jacks from sgs are cheaper and give a higher lift.

OP
OP
davidxzy
they look a good strong well built jack, bit over priced for my liken, the jacks from sgs are cheaper and give a higher lift.

There are a few very bad reviews of sgs online. I'm still looking around for one. I'm not buying one with those geared gizmos for releasing the lowering valve. A few people have said the teeth can break off. I prefer a simple screw that you turn to open and close.

After piddling around with Halfrauds trolley jacks for a couple of years I finally bit the bullet and bought a Draper 3 ton.

It's basically an industrial one, not a hobby one, but I can jack anything up, and get the car high enough to plop straight onto ramps.

£100, but worth every penny, awesome bit of kit.

Chris.

andy

Ex. Club Member
After piddling around with Halfrauds trolley jacks for a couple of years I finally bit the bullet and bought a Draper 3 ton.

It's basically an industrial one, not a hobby one, but I can jack anything up, and get the car high enough to plop straight onto ramps.

£100, but worth every penny, awesome bit of kit.

Chris.
do they have the piston lift? as i think that's the type there after.

Not entirely sure what a piston lift is; do you meant he hand crank? If so then yes. Heres the one i bought.....

http://tinyurl.com/pmebqng

1c16c1258d52afa56e8583488f339095.jpg

OP
OP
davidxzy
I've still not bought a new jack yet, but I fixed my old jack. It was going down by itself. I totally stripped the whole thing down and discovered two small identical gouge marks on the piston seal. I took the seal off, washed and dried it. I put araldite on the gouge marks until it was beginning to set. Then I reasemmbled hydraulic part and left the araldite to dry for a couple of weeks. I got some Xtech 5w30 oil from a JCB operator and put that into the jack, filled it up to the hole where the rubber stopper goes in. I'm pleased with the results.

DSC00026_Dx_O.jpg

DSC00027_Dx_O.jpg

That halfords kit is good value for money. Might actually go buy one myself! I've killed a couple of those in the past trying to lift too much, theyre really better suited to small / medium sized vehicles.

The Clarke jack is really good quality, I think I looked at the same model.

Axle stands are a must though, especially if you intend to work under your car once it's in the air.

Chris.