Which parts for a turbo convertion?

what parts needed for a turbo conversion, it will be running on low boost, such as manifold?, oil reservoir? brakes? boost controller? thanks

Have a search, fair bit of info to at least get you started.

I have turbo
manifold
intercooler
spare CG13DE
spare G/B (don't know code :S )

so far.

Need:
pipework (all boost piping)
dump pipe
fuel rail and injectors (SR)
oil feed/return (pickup from oil pressure switch and return to the top of the sump)
water feed/return (convert banjo and pipe fittings to BSPT and braided lines)
management
new clutch and flywheel, flywheel bolts,gearbox bolts (not supplied with spare motor & g/b)
intake pipe + filter
recirc/BOV (optional)

I have turbo
manifold
intercooler
spare CG13DE

so far.

Need:
dump pipe
oil feed/return (pickup from oil pressure switch and return to the top of the sump)
management
new clutch and flywheel, flywheel bolts,gearbox bolts (not supplied with spare motor & g/b)
intake pipe + filter
recirc/BOV (optional)
Half of the stuff you named us not Evan related to it the other half in not necessary :(

OP
OP
Ishy

I have turbo
manifold
intercooler
spare CG13DE

so far.

Need:
dump pipe
management
intake pipe + filter
recirc/BOV (optional)

thanks for the advice much appreciated!

All you really need to run okish is turbo manifold, turbo with internal wastegate, turbo down pipe. Some sort of larger injectors or fpr to I deprive more fuel, sort out oil feed and return. Piping goo g to the throttle body and some sort management to sort out the filling.

No need for some clutch and flywheel bolts , SR fuel rails, intercooler, bov, or spare engine

OP
OP
Ishy
All you really need to run okish is turbo manifold, turbo with internal wastegate, turbo down pipe. Some sort of larger injectors or fpr to I deprive more fuel, sort out oil feed and return. Piping goo g to the throttle body and some sort management to sort out the filling.

No need for some clutch and flywheel bolts , SR fuel rails, intercooler, bov, or spare engine
thanks again mckensiecz my plan is to turbo the car to have more fun with it, also for those who think its just a micra, i'll be waving in my rear view mirror :p

;) OK so I oultlined exactly what I have, sure you don't NEED all of them but given Frank's budget build and advice, stock motor gone, stock clutch slips etc...

I was really only mentioning clutch etc because I need them personally on my spare engine/gb combo, but at the end of the day you are splitting hairs over whats required and whats not.

Bare minimum, look at frank's build.

For me:
turbo
manifold
intercooler
dump pipe
injectors
intake pipe + filter
So I haven't omitted that much after all compared to the original list ;)

camoxodka

car half done :)
i agree with mckenziecz it is just extra cash were you do not need it :)
but what about bov is that not needed because i though that take of the presserue and they are really popular when you a doing a turbo conversion. :)

And the question for today is.....

If '1/2 of the stuff us not evan related' and 'the other 1/2 in not necessary', does that mean none of it is needed for a turbo conversion? o_O

clearly an over exaggeration, but someone obviously didnt get it.

i agree with mckenziecz it is just extra cash were you do not need it :)
but what about bov is that not needed because i though that take of the presserue and they are really popular when you a doing a turbo conversion. :)
popular doesn't mean necessary

pollyp

Club Member
it all depends on how much boost you intend to run, how u use it and how reliable/safe u want it.

for very low & briefly used boost, the absolute bare essential is:
custom manifold
turbo with +ve pressure actuated WG
oil feed (theres a feed from the front of the engine head beside the manifold)
oil drain to sump
custom downpipe
preferably air filter
intake piping from compressor to TB

next essential when possible is invest in a wideband to monitor the AFR are safe (14.7afr from idle to cruise load, below 12afr at full load)

more boost pressure = hotter air inlet temp = closer to detonation
on WOT boost for long periods = hotter air inlet temp = closer to detonation

to reduce detonation you can increase fuel octane, reduce compression ratio, reduce intake temps with a cooler or only use boost very briefly to prevent heatup

there's 2 strategies of cooling btw. one is to "heatsink" where the air/air cooler rappidly transfers the inlet heat out to ambient airflow fast as possible (ideal if ur on boost constantly like on track). other way is "heatsoak" where either a densely walled cooler or a air/water cooler soaks up the inlet heat to a point and then gradually dispurses it to ambient air during off boost period (such as daily driving or drag strips).

as boost increases, the airflow & fueling begins to run beyond the stock ecu mapping and afr becomes dangerous so alterations to the sensor readings & fueling are required (either ecu daughterboards, dedicated ecu or franks methods :p)

further increasing boost begins to max out the MAF, injectors, fuel regulator, fuel pump so they would need upgrading

dump/recirc valves are preferable at high boost to prevent boost surge from damaging the turbo shaft and turbo seals and aids boost response during upshift

some turbo's have waterjackets which helps with heatsoak when turning the engine off. its not an essential, just means after heavy use u should cruise few mins off-boost to cool down the system before turning off (which is what happens in normal driving anyway).

note this is only advice from my knowledge and is not an absolute guide ;)