Which paint do I use?

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Hey there got my weller wheels. Got 5 of the things in white and I want to refurbish them before tyres goes on. Just have to take out slight curbing which is easy enough.

I was just wondering what is the best sort of paint (rattlecan). I would normally just use halfords but I dont want to cheap out with my car.

My choices for paints I can think of is.
Plastidip but apparently that very hard to keep clean and doesnt give great finish.

Krylon Matt white paint. This is military grade paint. Very very strong used to use the stuff alot when I painted guns, but matt white paint on wheels is that a good idea with dirt and all? I could clear coat it to get over that issue but then I heard halfords clear coat is very bad and I dont know of any decent clear coat rattlecans.

Has anybody got any good manufactures or advise?

I have tried google but nowadays the second I mention wheels or paint it just comes up with plastidip for me.

Cheers for your help and advice guys/gals.

When ive done my rally steels i just clean up rust, the more the better. Then just a cheap filler primer, normally a white from Halfords and then Halfords wheel/heavy duty lacquer :) they look good about a year down the line and that's with a lot of abuse

Just my way of doing it :) lots of other people's ways on google too

OP
OP
mas12555

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Yeah I will filler in the wheels. Never really fillered on wheels before. Youtube will help me with that hopefully lol. I think I will buy krylon. I can get it for £6.70 a can in white as its hard to shift. They are sold for military use or sporting use, mostly paintball/airsoft. I would say its hard to get anything stronger from a rattlecan. Use that then use the best lacquer.

I heard hycote paint was really good may haft to look into it. I might steer clear of halfords paint this time to just see if I can get better results.

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/krylon-camouflage-paint--white

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I never used Krylon for my rifles way back when. The sand tore it off in a matter of days. Used some non branded paint in a white can... that stuff survived everything
I'd spray my wheels with it but the tan look doesn't go with silver

Hycote is the best around imo

OP
OP
mas12555

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
I never used Krylon for my rifles way back when. The sand tore it off in a matter of days. Used some non branded paint in a white can... that stuff survived everything
I'd spray my wheels with it but the tan look doesn't go with silver

Hycote is the best around imo
Problem I found with krylon is that I had to wait about an hour between coats and paint it on very thin otherwise anything takes it off. I also let the whole thing sit about about a week before even touching it.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Afghan sand storms take anything off anyway ;) it is technically sandblasting after all
Like I say these white tinned paints never came off

I usually use U-Pol power cans if I can get them, usually from RRD, Hycote as others have said and tbh I have never had a problem with Halfords paint, in fact I am in the process of using some on a project now.....pictures to follow during the week hopefully ;)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

Hycote paint is good, their white is very white though. Any paint as long as left to cure/bake for long enough should be fine.....Can use a hairdryer to bake if you have the patience :)