which one would you go for?

Which one would you have?

• Total voters

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Basically something fast ish but not too heavy on petrol. Which one would you have out of this list?fwn

I am leaning towards the Swift and civic 2.2 Diesel.

Robb

Site Supporter
Swift is the most lovable even though the front end of the sport looks like a baby sticking its tongue out, civic diesel is wise but boring (the type of boring that makes you wish you got a golf diesel), dont like the yaris or the colt, but thats just me, go with what you feel.

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
So it's pretty even at the moment, i need more votes! :wasntme:

the swifts new and old are amazing cars :D

i wouldnt even have considered the suzuki if i didnt sit in my friend's car the other day. Its very well built, not as tacky as my k12 :wasntme:

Swift is the most lovable even though the front end of the sport looks like a baby sticking its tongue out, civic diesel is wise but boring (the type of boring that makes you wish you got a golf diesel), dont like the yaris or the colt, but thats just me, go with what you feel.

I think type S gives a more aggresive stance and apparently its quicker than the 1.8 petrol version. Diesel will save me money in the long run but i dont know how long. :suspect:

dont get me wrong the the colts are pretty nippy but there granny cars imo

its very nippy, its possibly the quickest out of the 5. but a lot of reviews slated the company's reliability record. :sleepy:

I said Yaris, but that's because i love the Yaris T Sport :)

i had a yaris as my first car and i loved it to bits. i was hoping for a more hardcore version following the T-sport but this is a little soft :doh:a set of recaro seats would have made it a more attractive proposition!

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
for the money i wish to spend, i was hoping for something with 160bhp or less, do you think 120bhp is good enough?

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
gotta be the colt.....

its got ralliart stuff on it and its a turbo!!!

yea that's what i thought too, i actually had a test drive with the pre-facelift CZT before and quite liked it. But there are some horror reports on the mitsubishi forum about the cars' build quality such as rattles with dash, seats etc.

i know i am sort of ruling it out already. it has all the things i want under the hood, it would be great to see that combined with the swift sport! :wasntme:

colt is a good little car and fast my mate has one and by god the stuff you can buy for them is crazy he has his tuned to run about 200-220bhp by just doin a few mods and for the car itself as standard its a good price i would go for the colt but i am a niisan guy so i would take the 160 sr lol

Antony

Ex. Club Member
you have owned a micra and are bothered about build quality?..lol

its japanese..... its not going to go wrong!

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
you have owned a micra and are bothered about build quality?..lol

its japanese..... its not going to go wrong!

yea lol i know what you mean!

my k12 has actually has been remarkably reliable but i can just tell the build quality is rubbish the minute i shut the door, feel the dash and pull the handbrake. I hope you know what i mean like the feel of the cabin is not of upmarket feel. I am 27 now and i am through with cars that work but feels like it's going to fall apart any minute. I want something comfortable for my ageing body. lol

Out of all 5 i would say the civic has the best build quality. but the exterior is a bit of marmite situation :doh:

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
the civic deisel will probably have the highest resale value afer a few years aswell. although make sure a deisel is right for your needs, due to the cost of buying the deisel version and the higher price of the deisel itself, you may never save any money. compared to the petrol version. i saw fith gear and also read an article on autotrader or pistonheads that said depending on the car and what type of driving you do, the petrol versions work out cheaper to run.

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
colt is a good little car and fast my mate has one and by god the stuff you can buy for them is crazy he has his tuned to run about 200-220bhp by just doin a few mods and for the car itself as standard its a good price i would go for the colt but i am a niisan guy so i would take the 160 sr lol

Yea i have seen some nicely modded colt out there, but i'll probably keep mine standard if i do get one. i have learned that keeping the car standard will better for the resale value! :blush:

the civic deisel will probably have the highest resale value afer a few years aswell. although make sure a deisel is right for your needs, due to the cost of buying the deisel version and the higher price of the deisel itself, you may never save any money. compared to the petrol version. i saw fith gear and also read an article on autotrader or pistonheads that said depending on the car and what type of driving you do, the petrol versions work out cheaper to run.

I do around 12k a year so i probably dont need a diesel the more i think of it. I drove a new VW passat diesel the other day and my god how noisy are those engines!! forget sound proofing, i needed ear plugs! o_O

Lol iv seen millions more grannies driving micras, the k11s have got to be the OAPs favorite car :p

true! lol

Suzuki swift has no spare wheel and it's slow...over 8 secs to 60 .It has to be the Honda 1.8.

8 seconds to 60 is not bad for a car with 125bhp. the civic does it quicker by 0.1 second. :laugh:

but to be honest after a night of thinking, i am leaning towards a black civic 1.8 type S GT with pananoramic roof, sat sav and bluetooth etc etc. :love:

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Colt! Turbo and Ralliart does it for me lol!

that is quite a combination isn't it :wasntme: but dont forget the turbo in it is tiny, you won't get a kick in the back or lag to notice it even being there!

civic 1.8 defonately in white would look unreal even in standard trim

i agree, it's a shame they don't have it in white.

the swift sport now comes in pearl white though. :suspect:

alexm

Club Member (Trial)
Swift Sport in black ;) lowerd with white alloys, black mud flaps. de badged at the boot with twin exhaust out the middle of the bumper! also tinted rear windows! .. thats what i saw the other day and it was beautiful! loved it ! :D

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
So a bit of update on this issue.

I had a little spare time this afternoon so i went for a test drive in the new Yaris 1.8 and Auris 2.2 180SR. I know the Auris isn't even on the poll list but i had to try it out to see what the fuss is all about performance diesels.

The first thing i noticed about the Auris was how big it was. It has good road presence and the minute i stepped inside, it felt like a 7 seater. Everything seemed to be fine until i turned the ignition. All those talks of refined or quiet new diesel engines is frankly false.

It was still far too noisy, the noise was constantly filtered into the cabin despite Toyota doing their best to install extra insulation. When i put the foot down it produce this unpleasant try-to-be-sporty sound, when i asked why the salesperson said it was cos the car needs to warm up. fwn

With a bit of open road next to the M6 motorway, i booted the car testing its 180 horses. There was nothing at 1000RPM, nothing yet at 2000RPM then 3000RPM bang both of our necks pulled back ferociously before i had to shift up which made the little orange arrow in the rev meter dropped under 3000RPM and the whole process starts again. It was very difficult to predict and master when this will happen especially with someone like me who is used to constant power throughout the rev range. :suspect:

At the end of the Auris test drive, the friendly salesperson asked whether i liked it, i handed the keys back and said ''can I drive the Yaris now?'':down:

I jumped straight into this 08 plate limited edition (not in production anymore) black yaris 1.8SR, I gently shut the door and the whole door, glass, plastic cover, everything stuck to the door shook. :down: That's usually the first indication whether something has been well built or not.

Since my first car was the first generation Yaris 1.0 and it was simply bulletproof i had a lot of expectation with this one. The keyless start button is pretty neat, but other then that there was nothing that impressed me. So i was thinking to myself maybe the engine could earn some kudos for the little likable Yaris.

We drove back on the open road again, i was in full flow in second and third. Like last time i waited something to happen, expecting something spectacular to wow me. By the time i waited for that i was already in fifth and it ran out of steam. :down: There are cars out there which makes you smile the minute you get in, or the minute you drive or the minute it hits certain speed but i have been more excited in my 1.4 micra.

You know after you've test drove a powerful car, you would instantly feel how underpower your current car is? Well i didn't get that feeling as my car felt the same as the Yaris if not quicker, could it be weight? :suspect:

Walking around the forecourt desperate for a miracle (suffering from impulse buying) lies a black beauty, one that has been underrated and neglected for so long i swear she was asking me to take her home! :blush: Her name is Corolla T-sport! It's black on 05 plate which means it's the face-lifted version with nicer bodykit and interior, with 29k on the clock, guess how much it was.....................£7000! (Y)

The salesperson saw the smile on my face, he quickly throw in the facts. 40k major service done, full MOT, 1 years warranty, fully valet, new original T sport mats, 14 days peace of mind return blah blah blah.

The initial cost of the vehicle is within my budget, but i think maintaining the car will definitely out weigh all of the cars in the poll. £210 tax, extra insurance, servicing the tuned engine and there is the claimed 34mpg fuel economy. I must point out that most of the T sport owners could only manage under 30mpg under normal driving.

So what do you think?

(i will probably forget about this whole impulse feeling tomorrow morning:glare:)

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Nope, I tried the Celica T-sport years ago and loved the engine! I thought this will more or less the same, or probably quicker and more agile.

I dont know any of these cars intimately, but my world is a thinking driver, light, sticky and tomes of torque....

is yaris the lightest?

and with a 1.8 petrol?

some blinding tyres & suspension modded-on.....may be even a Wizards nitrous oxide kit.....and some ongoing practice with your local RoADAR group = bags and bags of safe FUN......with a bit of sleeper thrown in HAHAHAHHA

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
yea they have changed the front to look like its bigger brother. It's a little pocket rocket and it felt much quicker than the Yaris in the test drive. It is true Yaris is carrying the celica's engine but it has been detuned and it took a lot of fun out of it. And because of all the safety features and sound insulation it made the car so much heavier and hampered the responsiveness.

I am sorry guys but i have sort of moved away from the options in this poll and looking for something else. The test drives were very useful and it told me none of the cars here suits me or completely satisfy me.

i am hunting down a facelift honda civic type r, this should happen within 2 weeks time. and unfortunately that means my micra will be transferred to my girlfriend's ownership.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Civic 1.8, but you might as well get a type r, not that much diff on petrol as long as you stay away from the v-tec

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Yea i have joined the type r forum and the guys there were saying the CTR has about 130bhp before VTEC kicks in, if i can resist the urge it's actually quite good on mpg. but i heard it can clean out the tank doing only 100 miles if VTECed all the way! :O

something i want to ask you guys though, with the money i have i can only afford an example with at least 40k on the clock. do you think this is too old? i am scared that it might have been thrashed for the full 40k like there was no tomorrow.

Some guy on the forum offered me a CTR with 301bhp with NOS, i said no straightaway!

Ian

Ex. Club Member
long as its serviced it can be ok. They do have problems with big ends though sometimes. keep an ear open!

OP
OP
tse_adam

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
I know ze germans and japs make the best cars but since ze german cars are all almost always overpriced and certainly not as good or well built as they once were, i'll stick with jap.

I have always liked these CTRs. Given all of the excellent reviews from literally everyone, i have to get one myself.

I have contacted a few sellers in the past week, to my shock most of them are in the 18-23 age group! Lucky sods! i wonder where these youngsters get their money from, not to mention insurance for them must be sky high!

Ian

Ex. Club Member
id rather have the jap car tbh. These PD VAG motor's are a tad over rated imo, some people go on about them being the fastest thing ever. Turbo petrol nails them all day long ;D