Which Induction kit????

hi i have a basic k and n replacement panel filter for my k11 but want abit more power and sound so i am thinking about getting a induction kit,
problem is i dont know what im better of getting?
please comment on all different kits
i want to know bout ones that look the part, ones that sound the part, ones that perform the part and the one that just takes the biscuit!
remember to leave information such as the make and model, the price, where it can be found and if anyone got pics then bring it on

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
You could do an olly special (tho other people have done the same)

What you do is buy a 90 degree aluminium intercooler pipe, ram it on the TB and stick a cone filter on the end.

I'll have pics up at some point.

the whole thing cost under £15, there's a few members use/have used drainpipe, I'd change it for an aluminium pipe and Samco bends, but I'm so tight that I make a ducks A-hole look porous.

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
these prices are not from ebay.....so you may find them cheaper on there

K&N 57i Induction Kit Nissan Micra K11
£60 - 70
sounds good
"Unlike other factory intake filters that restrict incoming airflow, the K&N induction kits drastically reduces intake restriction while smoothing and straightening airflow. This allows your engine to inhale larger quantities of air, enhancing usable power and torque throughout the engines RPM range. If your engine is turbocharged or supercharged, the power gains can be phenomenal."
http://www.potn.co.uk/watermark1~POTN~images/kandn/imkandninductionkit-425x425.jpg

green cotton
around £70
sound good
"Direct Induction kits are as used by top rally teams such as Peugeot and Citroen direct from France from Europes biggest cotton air filter manufacturer"
http://www.potn.co.uk/watermark1~POTN~images/green/imgreeninductionkit-425x425.jpg

pipercross
£70 - 80
sound really good
"Pipercross Induction kits have a uniquely designed Air Filter Inlet, made from a spun aluminium base incorporating a full raidius air inlet bell mouth, allowing air to smoothly pass into the engine inlet - maximising power output"
http://www.potn.co.uk/watermark1~POTN~images/pipercross/im_pipercross and cleaning kit-425x425.jpg

universal cone filter (halfords / motorworld)
£10 - 30
sound good

best setup is with a cold air feed and NOT postioned on the throttle body

napster

frank

Club Member
sonic

that bend ? i honestly ca,nt remember ! 30 ft garage full of car tat going back 20 odd yrs , lost track of whats what !!

OP
OP
pap29
im amazed by the drainpipe :wow:
but anyway ive seen inductions like Retepetsir avatar and they look nice but what do they sound like and performance and how much we talking?

so are people telling me that what ive got at the moment is the best way to do it but i need to get a better cool air feed? est way to go about cool air feed?

Demarest

Ex. Club Member
hmm. i might have to try the drain pipe idea, looks good.
at the moment i just have a K&N cone bolted directly on top of the throttle body, sounds beasty !!

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
hmm. i might have to try the drain pipe idea, looks good.
at the moment i just have a K&N cone bolted directly on top of the throttle body, sounds beasty !!

may sound "beasty" mate but you may missing out on some power......main cause heat. but then maybe not!!

ive tryed all sorts of different positions (hey, stop the rude thoughts right now :grinning: lol) for my induction kit!

the drain pipe was good!!! but ive changed it back now!

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
IMG_3102_smallMedium.jpg

:)

Edit: The previous owner (Dan - MicraCharge) tuned this intake setup for the best power and torque gains. It takes advantage of the 2nd and 4th harmonic to increase torque lower down in the rev range (it peaks between 2000 and 3000rpm, as proven on a dyno run).

Putting a filter straight on top of the TB is pointless, and this setup gave the best gains.

Hope that helps!

Demarest

Ex. Club Member
may sound "beasty" mate but you may missing out on some power......main cause heat. but then maybe not!!

ive tryed all sorts of different positions (hey, stop the rude thoughts right now :grinning: lol) for my induction kit!

the drain pipe was good!!! but ive changed it back now!

yea i suppose but its just like fitting a huge big bore exhaust sacrifice some power for some Loud Noise !!!

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
yea i suppose but its just like fitting a huge big bore exhaust sacrifice some power for some Loud Noise !!!

true, but isnt "back pressure" a tiny insignificances compared to the denisty of the air entering the engine and combustion process ect?

Demarest

Ex. Club Member
Not necessarily! If you fit the right size you can see some gains :)
As long as it isnt too big? o_O

true, but isnt "back pressure" a tiny insignificances compared to the denisty of the air entering the engine and combustion process ect?

Even with the K&N Cone bolted directly onto the the TB i have noticed a little more tourque and BHP, car seems more willing than before. :grinning:, but yea your right, it would be better if more cold air got to the filter

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I cut a hole in my airpan and noticed... nothing, at all.
So next I'm trying a £7 max power filter and see how that goes. But noise is a big thing, more important than a few extra BHP, so as long as my induction roar can be heard over my exhaust I'm happy.

Stani1029

Club Member
You could have a bonnet vent directly above the throttle body, and cut a hole in the top of your air box which works as i have done this!

OP
OP
pap29
so the really secret to all the best inductions and airfilters is to got the best posible air to them, aka- Cold air and lots of it. BUT what is the best way to do this on the micra????

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
so the really secret to all the best inductions and airfilters is to got the best posible air to them, aka- Cold air and lots of it. BUT what is the best way to do this on the micra????

best way......:

pre-Facelift micra:
1. make the grill an "open mouth grill" to let more air into the engine bay and feed a cold air pipe from this grill around the drivers side headlight. around the left hand side of the engine. and wrap it round so it points to induction kit on TB!

2. feed a pipe from the bottom bumper grill around the drivers side headlight. around the left hand side of the engine. and wrap it round so it points to induction kit on TB!

3. bonnet vent positined just above TB

facelift:

1. cut out bonnet slats so they are open and fit cold air feed behind. then take it around the drivers side headlight. around the left hand side of the engine. and wrap it round so it points to induction kit on TB!

2. cut out bonnet slats so they are open and fit cold air feed behind. then stick it to the bonnet in direction of TB! then when you close it, it will sit just above the engine!! although will probably conduct heat!!!

there are other places! (like to the right) stand back and look inside your engine bay! if you have the cold air feed pipe when you look its even better and more practical as then you "see" an idea of where it may go....and then can actually try it!!

hope that helps

OP
OP
pap29
this is all great stuff thanks
the feedback as been rreally good for giving me idea's and learning more.

what if you have a standard air box like me with a k & N panel? what would be best to use for the cold air feed pipe? ways to secure pipe?

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Get some induction hose for a stupidly expensive price, or if you wanna be cool like me vandalise your hoover and use the pipe off that. Secure with cable ties.

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
what if you have a standard air box like me with a k & N panel? what would be best to use for the cold air feed pipe? ways to secure pipe?

couple of ways!

1. keep standard air feed pipe there and add a new one from front grill round drivers headlight and cut into the airbox on top and secure in this way

2. get two tubes of cold air feed foil and add both, one from front grill round drivers headlight and cut into the airbox on top and secure in this way the other using orignal hole but across engine bay!!

3. have a look your self for ideas mate? try new things out! experiement! some havent been tryed some have. some people say its a good idea others disagree? trial and error! ive said before ive had tryed differnt layouts for my induction kit till i was happy!

hope this helps again!

naps

Another Option

I think Nissan got it right with the airbox, panel filter and the intake tubing routed down behind the headlight. The amount of incoming cool air is restricted, however, by the diameter of the tubing and opening in the airbox.

The airbox of an Almera fits the throttle perfectly and has a 70mm intake opening and a filter that's about 50% larger than the Micra's. It is longer than the Micra's and the carbon canister gets in the way of a perfect fit. The canister can be dropped about three inches, however, with a little work on the mounting bracket. Also, a bit of fettling on the airbox bracket and hose from the cam cover and a new flex induction hose will be needed but should be easy to sort out.

Curious about the resonator. What exactly is it there for, other than to reduce the induction noise? Can someone clue me in on this?

S

Attachments

• SNB10253_1.jpg
    SNB10253_1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 422
  • SNB10254_1.jpg
    SNB10254_1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 401
  • SNB10256_1.jpg
    SNB10256_1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 438
  • SNB10257_1.jpg
    SNB10257_1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 389
  • SNB10227_1.jpg
    SNB10227_1.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 495
  • SNB10225_1.jpg
    SNB10225_1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 787
Thanks, should have phrased that differently. As in, does it serve any other function? Really should disconnect it, plug up the hole and see what it sounds like just to satisfy my curiosity.

Also, incidentally, any opinions on the waffle-like grid inside the top of the airbox? Does it serve any useful purpose other than to strengthen it?

S

Attachments

• SNB10255_1.jpg
    SNB10255_1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 406

frank

Club Member
soixantaine

the resonator helps to iron out the pulses generated in the inlet tract when the valves snap open and shut (many high performance 2 strokes have them, because of their wild timing) i think.
my car had better low/mid range when i grafted it to my drainpipe!

GT88

Ex. Club Member
the bets would be the st air box with a k&n panl filter for low and mid and for high you want a ram like my kit.
but i would think about making the eng run better then anything else. cams pistons ex.

the eng is a air pump if you can pump the air in why have a big air intake.
Greig

can anybody tell me if the fuel system will compensate for the additional air-flow provided by a free flow induction and what the optimum diameter/length would be for a good trade-off between air velocity/quantity?

frank

Club Member
floz

yes the ecu controls the injectors, depending on the signals from the lamda in a closed loop.
i would say stock dia plus 50% would be plenty big enough

Thanks Frank, just wanted to know if id be running to lean.

I'm i right in thinking the length of the induction pipe dictates the pulse harmonics, e.g Short=increased high rpm power, long= low-mid power
hence a lot of the "off the shelf" Induction kits not producing power increase across the hole rpm range, just shifting it around.

frank

Club Member
floz

i have found that a big bore induction will help the topend but at the expense of low/midrange, thats why i had to graft the resonator back on to my drainpipe (which helps with the harmonics i think)
i would say length is less relevant (unlike a 2 stroke expansion chamber, where the reverse cone reflects the pulses and length is crutial)

The resonator has been designed for noise reduction i know this much so i'm sure this will have no preformance advantage as sound is air moving in waves and to reduce this would reduce the air moving into the throttle body would be negative. I think the reason for for your midrange drop is the drainpipe is just to wide to get any air velocity at lower rpm. But more than plenty at higher rpm.
Anyways sorry to blab on but i have to vent my thoughts somewhere!

frank

Club Member
floz

i agree 100% with the velocity drop/big bore.
i always understood the resonator disturbed the pulses like the one fitted to my kawazaki kx crosser .
because its a sealed tube any pulses are bounced back into the air flow breaking them up !
we,ll have to do a google search eh

floz

did some googling and it looks like youre right !
but in my defence check this out.
http://www.eindiancompanies.com/images/resonator.htm

Interesting link Frank, my nephews old 2 stroke Yamaha trial bike had a boost bottle attatched to the inlet tract, not being sure what it did we took it off and blocked up the hole, it gained more power at high revs but suffered a lot on small throttle openings.

frank

Club Member
sonic

yes, looks like it has a torque effect when fitted AFTER the carburettor but a noise reduction BEFORE the throttle body, i should,ve known better ? :blush:
the increase in torque that mine gained when i grafted the tube to my drainpipe was probably because i left 3 inches of the old induction pipe on, and shoved it in the drainpipe eh

Ah well the point in the forum is learning from others, maybe you should add an expansion chamber to your exhaust manifold?:laugh:

Micky taking aside i think its great you guys with home made induction kits are
giving the kids a better option that getting robbed blind by Halfords for a shiny air filter on a rubber hose(Y)

I think for serious N/A tuners consider my old mans bm has a 3.8ltr block and i d be shocked if the diameter of the pipe from the air box was more that 80mil and that feeds 6 throttle bodies!

Happy days