Ex. Club Member
...any recommendations?

Ones of tried before and found they last a month or so:
- Turtle Wax Original
- Autoglym Super Resin Polish

Currently using:
- Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss
over a month now and water beading is still good / no spots

...and Meguiars detailing spray every other week... is that not like liquid wax then?

ta

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Ha, polish, lols. I just leave it dull.
It's not a polish as such but I use T-cut on the company car and that gets it really shiny.
I also hear good things about Mer products, I know their emulsion type glass cleaner is amazing.

curtis

Ex. Club Member
mer is great on plastic bits, like bumpers and trims, even rubber, its like back to black but sooooo much better!

Gunk: this is great for cleaning wheels, engine bays, and anywhere else really dirty cr*p is.

Turtle wax is good.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I use that red auto glym stuff on mine! Produces good results, as long as the car is washed properley before hand

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
T cut then Turtle wax works quite well. Dad just spent loads on some Auto Glym though and the results are stunning on all our cars.

Katie

Half Micra Half Primera
Autoglym Super Resin. Brilliant shine on my black primera, but it does leave a bit of a white chalky residue if you dont get it all off.

neilos

Ex. Club Member
Used to use Autoglym stuff, then found Meguiars stuff.

Now normally use either PoorBoys, Meguiars #21, #16, Pinnacle Souveran Wax, Chemical Guys stuff.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Which clay bar set Pete?
There are so many out there... ta

So whats best?
Clay bar then wax? OR
Wax and detail spray for touch ups?

Right now I'm thinking... clay bar... wax... and detailing spray...

Ps. Autoglym tyre dressing, interior shampoo and fast glass are pretty good

cheers peeps

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I use Turtlewax to wash, Autoglym super resin and some Autoglym liquid hard wax once or twice a year depending on how much the car it used, (not my daily driver). If anything needs cutting I use Farecla.

Wash with a shampoo not wash and wax..don't use a chamois to dry because you may as well be using wet and dry.

Use a drying cloth or silicon squeege...if you're going to clay the car don't worry about getting it too dry.

Claying the car has the same effect as using a paint cleaner only quicker..no need to paint clean after a clay.

Use a good quality polish..you could look at machine polishes, swirl removing polishes, etc.....but hand applied polishes to look at are AutoGlym, Poorboys and Meguiars... Polish not a polishing wax.

Wax the car to seal in the shine...poorboys blue wax, Meguiars Wax.

General rules...

Don't apply different stages of the clean with the same applicator.
Microfibre cloths are best for removing the residue...but don't scrub the residue off. If you have applied too much or it isn't dry enough it will gum up on the cloth and make it more difficult to remove.

Meguiars do a good 3 stage system .. cleaner, polish and wax. With the right applicators and cloths you can get a cracking shine.

Beyond that you're looking at machine application of polishes...ideal to get rid of all the spider webs in you paint surface.

A really shiny car is a labour of love..it could take you a full day to properly shine your motor..and the products will cost you a fortune...
but the satisfaction of knowing that you did it, has to be better than paying someone else to do it.

neilos

Ex. Club Member
Use a drying cloth or silicon squeege....

To be honest, I wouldn't use a silicon squeege. You only have to get the tiniest bit of grit under the blade, and as you drag the blade across the car to dry it, your gonna be inflicting the biggest scratch ever....o_O

If you peeps REALLY want to see how to clean a car properly and see what the results are, then take a look over on...

www.detailingworld.co.uk

I'm on there and it's a great informative site.

Depending on how you want your car to look, depends on how much you are willing to spend on cleaning products, it can be an expensive hobby....:blush: :blush: :down:

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Which clay bar set Pete?
There are so many out there... ta

So whats best?
Clay bar then wax? OR
Wax and detail spray for touch ups?

Right now I'm thinking... clay bar... wax... and detailing spray...

Ps. Autoglym tyre dressing, interior shampoo and fast glass are pretty good

cheers peeps

I originally just purchased the Merguairs Claybar Kit (inc Spray) but have just got a new bar from www.cleanandshiny.co.uk :)

I usually wash the car, claybar the car, rinse the car again then polish and finally wax.

I'm tempted to try Poor Boys stuff soon as I've heard its very good :)

neilos

Ex. Club Member
I originally just purchased the Merguairs Claybar Kit (inc Spray) but have just got a new bar from www.cleanandshiny.co.uk :)

I usually wash the car, claybar the car, rinse the car again then polish and finally wax.

I'm tempted to try Poor Boys stuff soon as I've heard its very good :)

Clean and Shiny are a good company. I've been down there twice now as they hold open days during the year. Good place to get your car cleaning bits from. And if you get the chance, check out the owners Golf's numberplate...:laugh:

Antony

Ex. Club Member
i havent ever cleaned my car... nor waxed or polished it in over 18 months... and two car shows..lol

i just use sm gunk on a cloth and whipe off most of the rough bits, like mud splatters.....

i dont seam to care what it looks like to be honest cos its not perfect. and its a rag it slag anyway..lol

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i havent ever cleaned my car... nor waxed or polished it in over 18 months... and two car shows..lol

i just use sm gunk on a cloth and whipe off most of the rough bits, like mud splatters.....

i dont seam to care what it looks like to be honest cos its not perfect. and its a rag it slag anyway..lol

i hope you clean your rotas tho? when i carnt be arsed to clean the car i just do the wheels :p

Antony

Ex. Club Member
oh yeah. theyre my babies. ive cleaned them hundreds of times, and i never ever park near a curb, theyre still like brand new. not a single mark on them and ive had them a year.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
thanks for all the replies... learning a lot.. ordered a sonus ultra fine clay bar...
how do I use it? just go over the panels bit by bit with a wet clay bar and shake off excess? or is there another way? cheers for the sites/links too.

Ok I found a comprehensive guide:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

Waiting on the order now... usu. takes me 3 hours to do inside and out but looks like an all Sunday job now...