Which bearing pullers for diff and mainshaft (and races)?

SteveG

Intake n exhaust almost done, suspension next :)
I'm plodding away at a snail's pace with the gearbox bearing replacement and managed to get the input shaft bearings out/off, and the diff bearing outer races, but I have a 3 size set of 3-arm bearing pullers which are too fat-fingered to pull the tapered bearings off (as there's only a tiny bit of room there).

So, for the tapered bearings I'm guessing I need something more like this?
US0529D.jpg

Also, the mainshaft bearing races look like I'd need a 2-arm outward facing puller for the one deep in the gearbox cover, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the other mainshaft race, maybe use the same 2-arm outward puller if it can fit around the oil channel plastic thing?

Found this for £237 ex vat, lol:
09450000.jpg

It looks like there are some promising looking sets for a sane price of maybe £30-40, containing both:

HTGPBS-SET-4.jpg

Still unsure if the arms would grab under the mainshaft outer races... urgh...

If anyone has any tips, advice, pointers, successful experiences with any of the above or other types of bearing puller, please let me know!

i do a lot of bearing changes on gang mowers etc steve, and i always weld a washer into the outer race, then when its cooled down/shrunk, they pretty much fall out :)

ah yeah I saw a few people do welds to pull... unfortunately I can't weld, although I could have bought a welder and paid for a welding course with the amount spent on welding for MOTs over the years, lol

I got this set of splaying end bearing pullers:

s-l1600.jpg

The middle one down on the left made short work of getting the layshaft bearing races out. Just a few hammer slides did it. I think the splayed end things are key in getting a grip on the back of the races. I had to smash up the oil feed thing that sits under one of the races, a replacement one is supplied with the bearing kit I got.

A bearing puller kit like the one in the first post allowed me to pull off both bearings from the diff (I used an old imperial socket roughly 20mm to be able to push on the diff shaft), and one end of the layshaft.

So, I've just got one bearing left, the one on the layshaft that's surrounded by a gear...

Back