Where's the vaccuum thingy!?

O

Oboema

Ok guys, Here's a tech question.
Now i dont know if i'm supposed to post this here, if not: feel free to delete. I'm becoming a member at the end of the month, gotta wait for that pay check. If this aint the place, ill post it again then..:)
Now i was wondering where the vaccuum thingy underneath the distributorcap, to adjust the timing (earlier)......damn, don't know the english word. Dutch word is onstekings vervroeger..:laugh:

Anyway, it's not where the manual says it should be. My question is: Is this it:
PICT2245b.jpg

(red arrow). And if so, how can i check it...by sucking on tube 1 or 2? o_O

Thanks in advance!

Edit: P.S. it's a '91 1.2

Well, that would make more sense. But the where is the vaccuum thing. Does anyone know what the english word is?
This is, as mentioned, a 1991 version, and it has a catalic converter. Now i know that they changed some stuff when the converter came, could it be that it's just not there in this version?

i'm afraid i can't help you there, as i'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. i'd wait for Slim, Ed or Raptor etc etc to help!

I'll be your help! :D lol
Oke, the ignition advance retard thingy (as call it in english :p) is.... :

vervroeger.jpg

Hey... fwn wait! It's not there! :laugh:
Or is that a vacuum hose going over there? Hmm, not quite sure. It should be on there somewhere.

Otherwise it is becuase you have a micra from 91. And that one has all the enviromental bits and stuff on. And has a very primitive ECC. So the electronic ignition is managed in another way, probably including advancing the ignition.
Not like the older ones with the vacuum advancer on the ignition/distributor.

Leuk om hier nog een nederlander te zien :) Hopelijk heeft dit je een beetje geholpen! :D

^^ Sorry, couldnt resist myself :p

Lol!!

Yes! Thanx for that...advance retard, should have known....:laugh: Atleast i was right about the thingy part!
Indeed, it's not there.....o_O Cuz thats not the vaccuum hose.....it's...something else. It connects a unit on the airfilter housing to THIS metal pipe.
PICT2245c.jpg

Ah well....then I don't have to test it, do I. :laugh:

Next step then: *runs to the "brazan" and gets a new dist. cap and rotor.....

U know, finding out what is wrong with ur car, was as easy as finding out what's wrong with a broken computer. Ah well, it's all a matter of experience i guess. :)

*offtopic* Bedankt, help me zeker.....weer een stapje verder. Zijn er veel nederlanders hier? *ontopic*

*offtopic* geen idee :) *ontopic*

Yeah, fixing a car is pretty much like fixing a computer :)
Using logic you try to eliminate everything what could be the problem. Hopefully leaving one part that is the problem :p

A computer is more easy though. You take out all of it's parts, so it runs are bare as possible. And then if that works ok you just keep on adding a part at a time until you get the crash/error.
Bit time consuming to do that with an engine :laugh:

Hehe....indeed. And expensive, cuz if i did that, i'd have to pay someone to put the engine back together again properly, cuz i'd screw it up. ;)

Aight guys, problem solved. Changed the rotor + dist. cap, and she runs great again.
Thanx for all your help!

Uhm....2 be honnest.....lol

There is a smaaaall little other problem. If i may.....lol I know I'm asking alot.
My choke isn't working as it should. When pump the gaspedal before start, the valve closes, as it should. Then after i start, and using the gas pedal, it goes to half closed right away, and then to fully open. Before becoming warm. Any thoughts? Maybe a broken temp. sensor?

You having troubles starting when its cold or just starting and running in general?

Because you can asjust the auto choke a bit, but it might have the effect that the car is not running well anymore at all.
It's pretty sensitive. Pretty difficult to explain, I can have a look after the weekend if I can find a good picture and explaination in dutch.

Dont know what book you have, should be in there I guess :)
But its quite important to remember at what "position" the autochoke thing was when you started, so you can always change it back again...

Uhm....only when it's cold. After 10 mins. or so, it runs fine. The thing is, when i start it, it runs with high revs, for a sec, like i explained. If i turn the engine off, when its still cold, and then on again.....the choke wont come on at all, even after pressing the gas pedal.

I don't think it needs adjusting, because one day it was fine, the next it wasn't. I have the P.H. Olving book. It's not bad, but not as good a sthe Haynes one I suspect. But if you can make a pic if you find the time, would be cool. :)
Does the choke work via an air temperature sensor?

Ah yeah, thats the same book I use as well. Also have a CD with some info on it.
Already figured you must have that book because it's pretty good available in the Netherlands :D

Anyway, the auto choke is managed with a heating spiral. Whatever it's called in english :D
But when you start the engine the thing heats up and controls something inside the carb.You can turn the thing clockwise or anti clockwise to make it last longer or shorter.
When you hold your hand on it you can even burn your fingers on it lol :laugh:
But when you have already started the engine and then turned it off again I guess it could get mixed up a bit. Because then the timing isnt right anymore. It's made for start and drive. Not exact science at all hehe
When you turn the key a bit so electrics come on, but dont start yet and wait for a few mins the autochoke wont work anymore as well.

But the idea is indeed when you start the engine it should run higher revs ofcourse.
Dont know exactly how my car reacts when I start engine, turn it off and start again.

Does the engine stall? Or when you start and drive away normally does it give any problems? Because thats what it's all about :)
When the engine stalls the minute you come to the traffic lights it needs adjustment ofcourse. Otherwise I wouldnt worry about it really.
If the engine does stall and needs about 10 mins to warm up and run ok it needs changing obviously! :p

There not a lot of info in the book about how to change it, only a picture with which I can give some info of how to do it. More or less a trial and error thing how I got the hang of it.

edit: after the weekend I can have full piccies + explaination lol :D

That's great man, you're a big help!! Yea, i does need adjusting, because it ussually stalls during the first minutes at trafficlights. Strange thing is: sometimes it decides to stay on after all.....but mostly it doesn't, lol. Wich is why i thought it might be some kind of electrical problem.

anyway, thanks again for all your help mate! :cool:

Back