Wheres the Mileage held

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titch

Micra K11ng
Hi
Since i've had my car the mileage has gone through the roof. For it only being 4 years old, its @ 64,000 ish :wow:
So was wondering is the mileage held in the ECU? If so, if i got another ECU from a diffrent Micra, would it change it?
Cheers - Titch

Its a tad illegal to edit the mileage on a car titch and its store in the actual display if i remember correctly.

Mike

mike said:
Its a tad illegal to edit the mileage on a car titch and its store in the actual display if i remember correctly.

Mike
Not unless you tell the next person you sell it to, or explain that you had new dials fitted. For example, my K10 has done 103k, but with these Super S dials, it says 16k :)

Yea, i thought it was illegal, but just want to find one with about 10000 off of it. Still looking for the facelift dash with the rev counter on it tho, so if i find on i'll test it then.
Titch

Why would you want to remove 10K What benefit would this have to you? To sell it as such would be illegal, however as james said let somone know that the milage is not complete and that is ok. But I dont see why you would want to change it if its just becasue it reads too much?

i have to agree with Ed on this one Titch, you have even me confused, in fairness it doesnt take much but still why?

like everyone has said its a bit dodgy when it comes to the legal side of it.......

i think on the facelift dashes with the electrical mileometer its in the ecu, as a pose to the older dials where the numbers are on a spindle and obviously kept in the dials

The point of the odometer is to record how many miles the car has done, for servicing reasons and to work out the value. If you change it, you need to tell anyone you sell the car to and state it in the advert... good luck selling a car when you tell them that it's been clocked. If your reasoning is you want to sell it for more, then that's pretty out of order.

If anything, driving that many miles in 4 years, you should increase the miles, if you want it to represent the actual condition of the car. What's your reasoning for wanting to knock 10,000 miles off it? That's a hell of a lot really...

Sorry - really bad day at uni, and friend got knocked down by a drunk driver :(

I'll edit my post.

Imo it was just a silly thing to ask, i.e. why would you want to do it?

im sorry but why has everyone jumped on his back for asking about the mileage storage!!

ED, James you of all people are trying to enforce that you should not quetion WHY a person would want to do this..
for example qustioning someones price isf they trying to sell something.

for all any one knows they have not got a clue why he has asked were the mileage is stored. for all you know he may have an engine that is 10, 000 miles less than his own. but wants to keep his own dials. this would NOT be illegal at all.
if the documents were logged correctly like any engine conversion should be then NOBODY has the rights to question why he has asked !!!

so i ask. if you do NOT have a constructive comment to the question asked then please do not make such highhorsed, abrupt comments.

for one. if engine conversion was on the table (which i know for a fact is the reasons for this) then i would want to know the mileage of the engine NOT the car!!

titch. the mileage is stored in the dash mate!!!
90% sure of this.
thyis would be backed up by the fact the ALL renault digital dials are stored in there dash and since yours is the later model and would have been instigated by renault then this will be the case!

wayne :kungfu:

Retepetsir said:

I'll edit my post.

Don't worry about it man, just seemed a bit much thats all. Sorry to hear about your mate? He okay??

Cheers Wayne. Yea this is why i was looking to get some of the miles off, so thanks Quickdraw. Will let you know how i get on.

Titch said:
Retepetsir said:

I'll edit my post.

Don't worry about it man, just seemed a bit much thats all. Sorry to hear about your mate? He okay??

Cheers Wayne. Yea this is why i was looking to get some of the miles off, so thanks Quickdraw. Will let you know how i get on.

Leg broken into 5 pieces, broken arm and cracked ribs atm..... not good.

sounds nasty that does pete. did the driver mount the pavement?

In the real worl d you can alter the mileage, but make sure you do it in a way that doesnt look dodgy on MOT certificates or service invoices

Slim said:
In the real worl d you can alter the mileage, but make sure you do it in a way that doesnt look dodgy on MOT certificates or service invoices

cheers mate, yea i'll need to watch that, not trying to do anything dodgy.

RE: RE: Wheres the Mileage held

quickdraw said:
for all any one knows they have not got a clue why he has asked were the mileage is stored. for all you know he may have an engine that is 10, 000 miles less than his own. but wants to keep his own dials. this would NOT be illegal at all.

It makes no difference legally - the odometer represents the car, not the engine. Why not just remember to do things 10,000 miles later than you would do anyway?

The first post clearly suggested to anyone who didn't know anything more (all of us) that it was being done just to make Titch feel happier with his car, nothing to do with an engine conversion.

Andrew said:
The first post clearly suggested to anyone who didn't know anything more (all of us) that it was being done just to make Titch feel happier with his car, nothing to do with an engine conversion.

Agreed. Sorry should of made it a bit more clear. :)

Slim said:
sounds nasty that does pete. did the driver mount the pavement?

Yep - but he was caught by the police two hours later thank god.

You going with a new engine then Titch?

yes he is going with another engine!!

Andrew said:
quickdraw said:

It makes no difference legally - the odometer represents the car, not the engine. Why not just remember to do things 10,000 miles later than you would do anyway?

look !! not to carry on stupid debate. all i was saying IS.. NOBODY is here to question WHY he is doing so... were here to help. not critisize and shoot people down.

IS this not what the site was about?
IS this not what made the site so friendly, and good to be apart of?
IS this what has stopped happeneing and people started being so bitchy!!
ALOT of people need to start to chill out a bit, and just plainly HELP people instead of jumping on their backs etc!!

Okay this has got way out of hand, I believe Titch's question has been answered and people have taken this way off topic.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back