where to find engine parts

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
i am planning to rebuild an engine but parts available from the local motor factors are very limited, i am assuming the rest i can only get from nissan.
i need:-
big end/main bearings
piston rings
big end bolts?
anything else??
basically all i have so far is engine gasket set and head bolts. i'd love some uprated valve springs, although im not sure how good standard ones are. i fancy a bit of an NA screamer, cams flyweel etc, but cant afford rods and pistons any time soon. if anyone can let me know where i could find parts or recommend anything ive missed, it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance, Tom.

frank

Club Member
tom

i doubt the stock valve springs would bounce with anything but the wildest cams ( the piper cam leaves only about 2.5mm before the stock spring is coilbound, which does,nt leave much room for stronger ones)
if the oil pressure is ok, i would be tempted to leave the shells in because they are sized and graded to very tight tollerences, but a glazebusting and new rings is well worth it imo

OP
OP
B

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
thanks Frank,il stick some plastigauge on the bearings and see what im dealing with, thought i might aswell do it all as engine will be out of the car and in bits and has unknown mileage (apparantly 75k) and never been heard running. i have a set of piper ultimates to go in which is why i asked bout valves.'glazebusting'?, is that just a cool name for a hone? and where could i find piston rings, just nissan i take it?

frank

Club Member
tom

my understanding of boreglazing is a soak/skin of carbon from the burnt fuel onto the bore (akin to case hardening), so at high milage the rings will polish the bore, instead of continue to wear into it
but yea honing :laugh:
i,m putting my piper inlet cam in on sunday, i,ll post some pics
on our kart engines, we get 10thou o/s rings and file the ends to suit the bore wear btw

frank

Club Member
tom

when i stripped my super s engine (132000mls) the crank was still mint, but it used to drink a bit of oil (tho not when i was on lpg for some reason ?)
and i only gave it 2 (cheap stuff) oil changes in 7 yrs !

OP
OP
B

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
my daily at the mo is a mk3 fiesta 1.1 and i took the rocker cover off to adjust clearances and i've never ssen anything like it! car probaby only ever had about 2 oil changes in its life! coke about 15-20mm thick EVERYWHERE apart from within range of moving parts. cleaned out, adjusted,flushed, and refilled and she was better but far from perfect. i have access to (free) quality oils so not to keep up regulare maintenance(on the micra) would be daft!

frank

Club Member
tom

ah the old kent engine
i used to pull the tappets on them down to 5 thou else they still sound like a frign sewing machine eh