Where to buy spray paint for Micra

paints4u.com used them a few times without problems for a large area like a bonnet doing it with rattle cans will look wrong imho and wont be a thick enuff coat even with 7-8 cans while you spending 60-100 quid on paint scotch bright, degreaser etc plus your time............

you mite as well do it properly and get it booked in at a bodyshop what will cost you £100-150 its worth it esp if it a met or a pearl colour, unless you have a decent spraygun/compressor and space

remember if its a met/pearl colour there will be 4-6 shades and 4-5 colour varations for 1 paint code best thing todo is get it colour matched by a local paint supplier

no piantshop would take the chance of spraying the bonnet only imo fwn (they would blend the wings too)
and rattlecans are fine for bumpers and stuff, but not for the likes of a bonnet :eek:

yep i missed that bit out blending is all part of the job anyway £90-100 per panel is about the going rate plus a bit on top for the hassle

I would stay well clear of halfords paint match is crap ive tried them a few times and its always the wrong shade, I would say £150 to get it done is worth the money you may still have to supply half a litre of the correct paint and flashing over wing tops is no extra bother if you fit bonnet and take whole car along

I would stay well clear of halfords paint match is crap ive tried them a few times and its always the wrong shade, I would say £150 to get it done is worth the money you may still have to supply half a litre of the correct paint and flashing over wing tops is no extra bother if you fit bonnet and take whole car along
How much?!! GEEZUS!
i would rather take my time with some well matched paint from an actual paint place but halfords isn't that bad for standard paints. just the mixing is terrible.
and body shops can do one. if you take your time you can save loads! (Y)

i must admit even at a body shop matching colours and getting a good finish isnt great it will always need a good flat and polish preferably from a mop! even though i do this stuff at work im reluctant to do it at home with a can as its not the same!

The general price for painting a panel is £100 to £150 so where the GEEZUS comes from I dont know considering the work involved and Halfords have to be the last place on earth to get paint from, Its never a match unless your painting whole car then it wont matter

Forgot to mention you wont ever get a bonnet to look correct using rattle cans but if that is the way your going to go here is a tip. Fill a jug with boiling water out of kettle and stand rattle can in there for 3 or 4 minutes this expands the gas thus given you a better spray as the paint comes out under a higher pressure it also heats the paint and stops it sinking.

The amount of time you will spend on doing it yourself, and with needing good weather (if youre doing it outside) or a well ventillated, large room, you would be better off taking it to a local body shop. If you do it yourself make sure you know what youre letting yourself in for, there can be no wind or dust, plus the bonnet needs to be absolutely clean. Then it needs to be keyed and primed, before being keyed and sprayed. and with spray cans, it will not be very desireable.

For example, in order for an even coat without flaw you would need to spray (in a sweeping motion) before the bonnet and stop after the bonnet (if you get me :doh:) and repeat this several times which would mean alot of cans, and constantly spraying an aerosol will exponentially lower the temperature of the can and alter the consistency of the spray which will dramatically increase the amount of time you spend doing it, and the quality of the finish. and after that you need to seal the paint with something which again adds cost, time and needs skill. remember you will also need to spray over the edge and onto the inside to prevent rusting.

And thats not mentioning the colour matching. And the removal of paint beforehand. And the polishing/buffing after. Its an epic job pal, but if you attempt it post some pics and definately let me know how it goes!

The amount of time you will spend on doing it yourself, and with needing good weather (if youre doing it outside) or a well ventillated, large room, you would be better off taking it to a local body shop. If you do it yourself make sure you know what youre letting yourself in for, there can be no wind or dust, plus the bonnet needs to be absolutely clean. Then it needs to be keyed and primed, before being keyed and sprayed. and with spray cans, it will not be very desireable.

For example, in order for an even coat without flaw you would need to spray (in a sweeping motion) before the bonnet and stop after the bonnet (if you get me :doh:) and repeat this several times which would mean alot of cans, and constantly spraying an aerosol will exponentially lower the temperature of the can and alter the consistency of the spray which will dramatically increase the amount of time you spend doing it, and the quality of the finish. and after that you need to seal the paint with something which again adds cost, time and needs skill. remember you will also need to spray over the edge and onto the inside to prevent rusting.

And thats not mentioning the colour matching. And the removal of paint beforehand. And the polishing/buffing after. Its an epic job pal, but if you attempt it post some pics and definately let me know how it goes!

Could not have put it better myself but you live and learn...........you just cant beat a tank full of compressed air and a gun in hand....not to mention some good old spirit wipe tag rags ect.(Y)

Back