Wheel help

I have purchased a set of minilite wheels 4x101.6 et -7 centre bore 65.1, i have tried them on the car (k11) on the front and they will need hubcentric spacer adapters, however these poke out around 3 cm, and a further 20mm from the new spacers, i am going to using wheel arches to cover this and will have coilovers, and a rear adjustable panhard rod and camber bolts. But does anyone know how this is going to drive? will it be safe? and will the hubs be ok having that much space away from the wheel ie its not going to be too much strain?? I know what i want in my head but its hard to get out in words ( been wracking my head with this since i bought these dam wheels ) any help would be appreciated, Graeme

frank

Club Member
mine veered all over the place when i fitted these very offset wheels on the front graeme, try a google on "scrub radius" :)

scruc.JPG

OP
OP
Makrakin
Why do you need spacers?

When i first tried the wheels on they scrubbed ever so slightly against the caliper, the hub centre of the wheels is 65.1 opposed to 59.1 so i would need a spacer with a spigot for the wheels to sit nicley, also i would have had to use wobble nuts which ive heard are not safe but i dont know hear soo many views on these.

When i first tried the wheels on they scrubbed ever so slightly against the caliper, the hub centre of the wheels is 65.1 opposed to 59.1 so i would need a spacer with a spigot for the wheels to sit nicley, also i would have had to use wobble nuts which ive heard are not safe but i dont know hear soo many views on these.
Give the caliper a 'shave' and wobble nuts are absolutely fine :D

The wheel shouldn't have scrubbed the calliper if you're using stock k11 brakes. Especially with such a low offset.

You don't need hub-centric spacers, you only need spigot rings 65.1-59.1.

As for wobble bolts there's nothing wrong with them as long as you torque them up properly, when I was running 101.6 wheels I used stock nuts (through laziness)

OP
OP
Makrakin
The wheel shouldn't have scrubbed the calliper if you're using stock k11 brakes. Especially with such a low offset.

You don't need hub-centric spacers, you only need spigot rings 65.1-59.1.

As for wobble bolts there's nothing wrong with them as long as you torque them up properly, when I was running 101.6 wheels I used stock nuts (through laziness)

I think i might give the wobble nuts a go then, the spacers are pretty pricey, it only touched the caliper and no more i could prob just give them a shave like you say, how do you reckon this will drive though with a full coilover setup?

I've just fitted 195x45x15s on mine, definitely getting a hum from my bearings. I though it was big tyre noise, but it isn't, so, I think I will be going back to 165x65x14" again.
Pity, they look real nice.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Tbh I've not heard it so couldn't say. The usual hum from larger wheels is a result of air displacement. Are they close to the arches? And inner wings?

Tbh I've not heard it so couldn't say. The usual hum from larger wheels is a result of air displacement. Are they close to the arches? And inner wings?
Yes they are close, I thought it was big tyre noise but became undecided as to a bearing noise as well.
Anyways, I do not like the change in the driving dynamics that the bigger wheels and tyres have created, so, going back to 14"s with a slightly larger tyre than before, probably 165/170x70x14s - if you can get that size, I think that will work quite well.
I have a buyer for the alloys and tyres already, the tyre fitter!!! he tried to buy them of me before he fitted them.

Interesting 701, she came with 14" wheels, which I assume were the standard fit.....yes/no ???? My missus's micra has 14" so I took that as the standard fit.
If I went down to the 13"s and larger tyres how would that effect the handling ? I have been known to push on occasionally, and with the old set up the handling was excellent, don't want to start drifting or rolling in the bends. You know Cornwall, try to find a straight bit of road, all hills, corners and dopey buggers.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
14 will be standard fit. A 13 will accelerate faster than 14. Though if you want better handling use a lower profile tyre on the 14
To stop roll you'll have to stiffen the suspension up :)

OK bud, thanks for that. Put a bit more pressure into them today...from 30 up to 34, seems to have helped a bit. I'm going to persevere a bit longer before I change or not. Thanks again for your advice.