Whats up with my computer!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Every second or so, the onboard PC speaker will beep. Now i know its nothing stupid like something's leaning on a key in the keyboard etc. Has anyone got any ideas what the issue could be? I've had to pull the speaker out, its become so irritating.

According to windows, everything is installed fine and running as it should. There's no errors in the event logs either.

It effects all the Dj and recording work i do as every second or so, the music skips slightly.

Is my motherboard nackered or something? Its a Gigabite one and its only 18 months old or so. I havent come across this before so im a bit stumpt!

Also any other suggestions of things to check would be great. I dont usually get baffled by stuff like this, and being my own computer makes it even more annoying. Im considering reformatting it as i have a laptop i can use temporarily, but cba to do that before ive looked at the alternatives.

The motherboard is http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...&ProductID=1759&ProductName=GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G

Cheers
Arnold.

Bring up task manager and watch the cpu usage, with the beep youll probably see a process doing something. That may be a clue as to whats going on.

Have you got active monitoring for the board? If so are the temps, voltages and fan speeds OK? Also it's not a SMART warning is it?

unfortunatly i dont have the tools or utilities to check things like that while the machine is booted up, unless you can get third party utilities to perform the same job? I can check things like that in the bios, but tbh, i cant remember off the top of my head if the problem still occurs pre-boot, or if its just while using windows! thats another thing for me to check later on though.

I'l also check if Smart is available & enabled. If it is, where can i view the warnings it's coming out with? as i said, the event viewer doesnt display any problems.

Cheers

Almost every motherboard these days is able to do this. Goto the makers website and get their utilities. If it can show it in bios it can show it in windows.

I've checked out there site but they dont seem to offer the software for that. only things like chipset, onboard audio, LAN and bios updates! :(

I just read on another forum that gigabite ones beep when they're overheating, or clogged with dust, so i'l have a goocy at that too :)

check the pc health status in bios make sure its not reporting a slow fan/etc also make sure your keyboard isnt knackered and is reporting that a key is stuck down. also if its affecting your dj software try upgrading/re-installing your sound drivers... and yeah dust it aswell :p

thats where id start looking!

I replaced the sound card thinking that may help anyway, but being a system board based complaint (the onboard speaker beep) it would be effecting everything system wide. Audio is the easiest way of telling there is a fault because the problem is audiable, (warning & recording symptoms). I'l check what people have said above, bios stats etc and see where that leaves me.

The system is quite restricted inside, cables, fans, cathodes etc so i may just rip it all out and give it a clean up.

I'l look into that pete, cheers

Well, the temperature / smart issue is correct. The CPU is currently at 72 degrees! the warning kicks in at 60. What is the ideal running temperature for a CPU? Its a P4, 3.2, 800Mhz. The standard fan which came with the processor is running at 2500rpm, and i dont think i can change this.

I've turned off Smart, disabled the warnings and raised the failure temperature to 90 as a temporary measure.

Cheers
Arnold

wow 72 degrees

mine cuts out at 60,make sure all your IDE leads etc are not cluttering the inside of the case restricting air flow around the case, the cpu fan will be ok because as stock they are more than powerful enough to cool.

Blimey that was one hot chip!

You might want to consider taking the fan assembly off, cleaning off any old thermal paste and refreshing it with new paste.

As you say, giving it a good clean inside would be an idea, especially the CPU, case and power supply fans. You can get little hoovers and cans of air to do this, see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vacuum-Cleane...364QQihZ011QQcategoryZ179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Compressed-ai...ryZ47779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not recommending those items, just ideas.

If you're running PATA disks (and I'm guessing from your CPU spec that you're probably more up-to-date than that, but anyway), you could consider getting round cables rather than ribbon.

HTH, sorry if teaching to suck eggs in any way.

Any advice welcome.

I am running round cables for the IDE's and Floppy, and have Sata drives in there aswell. Its well vented, or so i thought! I've got a fan on the back, side and roof.. two suck in cold air and it all comes out the top.

its recently moved under a desk and i guess there's less air down there than where it used to be. I may rip out the cathodes too. The excess wiring and heat generated wont help im sure! The ambient temp used to be 25 but its up to 48 now, so yeah i guess its environment is the main issue here.

My mate told me to get a Zalman heatsink and Fan which im considering, as it currently has stock fan and heatsink which came with the processor.

Still runs extremely fast, quicker than anything i've used before, but i'm a bit concerned the components may have a shorter life expectancy due to the heat.

I'm running my AMD 2500+ on stock fans and heatsinks! I've never had an issue with heat, so I don't think the heatsink and fan require upgrading, unless you're planning on some serious overclocking?

Na, its just what my mate advised. I didnt think stock parts would be an issue.

Its only been since i moved bedrooms that the warning issue has occurred so environment issues i think is the prob. My old room was freezing and this one's like a sauna sometimes.

Ems, the cathodes wont make much diff compared to heat the processor gives off, but they'l make the ambient temp higher than it needs to be. They look pretty cool tho!!

They do look cool :) Don't forget to build me a purple one :D

Oooooooh, it's the brick dust thats in it!! LOL

If the P4 gets too hot it'll just throttle back its speed, which makes the pc sluggish (you should notice if this is happening). If thats 73 degrees C then thats rather on the toasty side! Ideally get it between 50 and 60 full load.

Oh, and I've thought of another cause....

Too

much

p*rn

;)

Lmao!! i dont do that! :p

yeah its 72C, and nope, not noticing any sluggish ness at the moment. Running really sweet! Its quite a high spec, fast FSB, 2GB Dual Memory etc etc so although its probably slowed down, im still not using enough resources to notice!!

Hmm Arnold I thought you were a computer techie! In any case rip the cover off and hoover it out power it up and check all the fans are ok. CPU should be 40-50deg at most.

I am a techie!! LOL, but the machine's got a bit neglected recently!! I just wasnt aware what the beeping was related to but im more the wiser now! ;)

She probably needs a good clean out though so i'l get round to that at some point.

No do it sooner rather than later before damage happens. You wouldnt drive around without a rad on your car now would you!! :)

LOL! probably :p

I dont use the machine that much, got that infamous laptop now so PC's having a break :)

lol, the beeping was a bomb Arnie...The FISH planted it but he didnt wire it up correctly haha, like ED said take everything out hooover, get ems to polish it while u sit back have a Bud, once its clean test it out of the case on antistatic mats, monitor the temp and if its high again then you know its either cpu - fan - mobo then i would Re-assemble it and go from there !

Ive had computers in the past were the case was shorting out on the mobo and generting lots of heat.

Cheers paddy mate. I'l give the old girl a good clean... the PC i mean ;)

Just dont have much spare time atm

^ Yup, remove the speaker = problem solved :D

But anyway, clean it up replace the thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu, airflow doesnt appear to be a problem. Try swapping it round so you have top and back blowing in and side blowing out. Unplug everything that isnt needed (spare cd drives, hard drives, lighting, and see if problem still occurs.

Your the only techie i know that has the internal speaker wired up :D.

See the third line of my first post! I have ripped it out lol!

But as the thread says, it didnt fix the problem as the glitch was still being recognised in the audio applications during recording and playback!

Back