Whats everyones opinion on puntos?!

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
My dad has just brought an 03 reg fiat punto with 13000 on the clock is brand spanking new pretty much, has has given me the option of selling the micra so that i have the punto or if i keep the micra then he will have the punto for himself...really dont know what to do fwn

cant bring myself to sell the micra but the punto is soooo much better!!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I nearly got a GT a year or so ago but decided against it when i heard they were unreliable

They dont look bad though but that doesnt mean much if it breaks down all the time.

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
my mates work at kwik fit and the amount of puntos that roll in with exhaust systems fallen off is like WOW!

considering its so new its got faults that fiat know about but continued selling anyway because it looks nice and sells well.

fraz_micra_88

Ex. Club Member
mate i had a punto and after 2 months the head gasket went on it and so did something in the gear box, it was a 52 plate?? i would stay away from it, but if you like it then go for it

Pete

Site Supporter
My driving instructor had one and didn't have a problem with it. But it's the luck of the draw. Fiats are known for their unreliability (have I just made up a word?) but they are also fairly easy to fix and parts are cheap, so it's a bit of a trade off. I'd only buy an italian car if it had a huge great engine, and I had a spare car to use when it was in the garage being fixed.

OP
OP
G

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
hmm bad reviews all round really, thanks guys, there isnt too much of a problem with the micra at all, think they just wanted me to upgrade my car while i still could, i have driven the punto and it does seem soo much better, might let dad drive it for a while, see how he gets on with it, if he has problems then i wont touch it! lol

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
my mate had a punto did nothing but over heat and get air lock in the cooling system no mater how amny times it went back to fiat steer clear mate the k11 is a much better car in so many ways!

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
My mates got a "HGT" :) i really like his car.
for a 1.8 its very rapid. he took it to a drag strip and he beat a turbo crx del sol :) and a rover MG ZR. its also as quick as a saxo VTS

napster

Ian

Ex. Club Member
My mates got a "HGT" :) i really like his car.
for a 1.8 its very rapid. he took it to a drag strip and he beat a turbo crx del sol :) and a rover MG ZR. its also as quick as a saxo VTS

napster

really? on paper they dont look too fast really, that turbo CRX must have a bad running day or traction problems because you would expect it to be putting out close to 200bhp.

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
Utter garbage! Wouldnt get it! You will spend more on repairing it! Honestly they are very unreliable! Cant take alloys- the gearbox packs in, They like to blow head gaskets! My missus had one, nothing but bother!

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
Didn't it occur to you that comapred to a micra most people on a micra forum would prefer a micra?

Lol, my opinion on Punto's is...

:k11motors :k12cop: :k12red: :k12yellow :k12white: :k10: :k11green: :k11yellow :k10camper

cant bring myself to sell the micra but the punto is soooo much better!!

Dude my sister had a 1.6 Honda civic, loved it!

My mum has a 1.6 Colt which I drive often, but i'd rather the Micra anyday.

The only thing i hate is when people say why a Micra, nothing to do with anything now, but i'd rather a micra then most other hachbacks out, I dont even like the civic hatchback, I actully prefer the look of some Micra's, but the Coupe...Dont start me on that, I cant ever put that one down...lolol

Didn't it occur to you that comapred to a micra most people on a micra forum would prefer a micra?

This is an oddity that I've noticed of this club, people are really into Micras, but some only see it as a step "up" the ladder to a civic, golf, gti, gsi, or whatever, there are some of us that are quite happy with our rides, personally my car is something I cant see me ever getting sick of, I'm sure that there are plenty of members that feel the same way about their Micras.

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
This is an oddity that I've noticed of this club, people are really into Micras, but some only see it as a step "up" the ladder to a civic, golf, gti, gsi, or whatever, there are some of us that are quite happy with our rides, personally my car is something I cant see me ever getting sick of, I'm sure that there are plenty of members that feel the same way about their Micras.

Yes, I totally agree, how ever much I dream of owning a civic...

Lets be honest, would i be happy with one...yes and no, I wont be able to share muc with you guys, who most of you i really like, great bunch of people, and secondly more car based, How many modified civics do you see compared to Micra's... Thats why i think the Micra is better, I eather get two coments... "Woah! thats nice, very different", "Why a Micra"... well like a say why not?

Cheers Darren, my question exactly, why not a Micra ? In my opinion, anyone can buy a fast 'hot hatch' (god I despise that analogy) off the peg, but few people can appreciate a well put together shopping trolley that can keep up with (or at least surprise) the mainstream srtdgti's that are out there.

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
Cheers Darren, my question exactly, why not a Micra ? In my opinion, anyone can buy a fast 'hot hatch' (god I despise that analogy) off the peg, but few people can appreciate a well put together shopping trolley that can keep up with (or at least surprise) the mainstream srtdgti's that are out there.

Yep, Im seriously thinking when i have the cash to buy the 1.3 SR and stick everything over...:D

I doubt they are that expencive now, about £800 for a decent one? I paid £1600 for mine :S

Demarest

Ex. Club Member
Yes, I totally agree, how ever much I dream of owning a civic...

Lets be honest, would i be happy with one...yes and no, I wont be able to share muc with you guys, who most of you i really like, great bunch of people, and secondly more car based, How many modified civics do you see compared to Micra's... Thats why i think the Micra is better, I eather get two coments... "Woah! thats nice, very different", "Why a Micra"... well like a say why not?

I went from Civic to Micra :k11motors

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
really? on paper they dont look too fast really, that turbo CRX must have a bad running day or traction problems because you would expect it to be putting out close to 200bhp.

well whats even more funnier is i spoke to my mate last night and he just had his punto re-mapped to around 148bhp (estimate by company) :)

the crx yes was having a poor day, after every race he was under his bonnet adjusting parts for the next race. ive got it all on video to, which makes it sweet.

napster

Thew puntos they just released here have some very impressive little diesel engines. Very quick if you master the gearbox and figure out how to drive a diesel! Booyeh for ridin' the torque.

In saying that I wouldnt be seen dead in one after I saw one in the flesh. What a faggoty looking car.

I'd sooner be seen in a Renault Meganne (turbo version :p)

Drove my sisters new toyota echo today. I think you guys call it a yaris, its a 2004 build.

Nice enough little car. Interior plastics were cheap and nasty, not a real step up from the k11 at all which suprised me. Steering was light and vauge, no better than the micra's power steering. Suspension was skittish, didnt like sudden changes.I felt cramped in the cabin, the 1.3L engine wasnt willing to rev at all and didnt sound like it liked to rev at all. VEry skittish under braking too. Cornering was quite scarey.

Overall i was suprised at how good the k11 really is... even today its still a very dynamically sound little car.

Unreliabel

I can only speak of my experience of a '97 Punto I owned. Despite looking after it, it was unreliabel. Once Puntos reach highish mileage like 75k miles, they seem to go wrong. Head Gasket, gear boxes, heater Matrex (all experienced by me).
It's a pity because they look great and are very roomy, not to mention a nippy engine. Be wary of pushing Puntos backwards. A mechanic told me that that gears can be damaged. Get your Dad to join www.fiatforum.com

When you campare a Japanese car to an italian car, the jap car has quality.

Saying that, my Micra has had the rear brakes replaces- a common problem I believe with Micras. I hope my Micra fares better than the Punto in reliability.