Whats causing that noise?

Hey guys, whilst getting my tyres fitted the other day i asked the mechanic to check the play in the left front bearings as iv been getting a strange intermittent steering wobble and a bit of noise from that area. he had a fiddle for a minute and then told me my bearing was shot, as i am sceptical at best about the 'Advice' of our local mechanics, i just spent an hour in the pouring rain checking them myself. low and behold there is no play whatsoever. the bloody mechanic was wobbling the unsecured brake disk!!!! although this is a small relief, i now have some troubleshooting to do. i have checked the track rod ends and ball joints and can feel no play at all thus am running out of options. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this as my MOT is soon approaching and id like a clean pass?

iv already checked the bearing n there fine mate, just dunno what else the problematic noise could be as ive checked the ball joints n track rod ends n there all fine also.

balljoint wear will rarely show when jacked up tho, best checked by rocking the top of the wheel when down (like the mot guy does ;))

Thats what I thought but they were balanced when I had the rear tyres done. Got them to put old fronts on the back and the new tyres on the front + balance all four

I think the tracking is ok, gotta check everything over on monday so il check the steering wrack clamps too. What about spiggot rings? Fitted new ones when i put the wheels on. Maybe a posibility the front left one is damaged or not quite seated right?

Il give everything a good check monday just to be sure. Will post anything I find for prosterity. Post anything you can think of checkin in the mean time n il have a look at them too

Had the car on stands today checking what the problem could be, found no play In bearings. Ball joint is in good nick and checked steering rack as @h701 suggested, no problems there. Checked the outer cv joint aswell but all was ok. Aft er r spinning the wheels I noticed the grinding is coming from the gear box. Seems to be excessively play in the inner cv joints. Im assuming any vibration in the driveline would cause the steering wobble, thus the inner bearing being the cause of the problem?

Had the car on stands today checking what the problem could be, found no play In bearings. Ball joint is in good nick and checked steering rack as @h701 suggested, no problems there. Checked the outer cv joint aswell but all was ok. Aft er r spinning the wheels I noticed the grinding is coming from the gear box. Seems to be excessively play in the inner cv joints. Im assuming any vibration in the driveline would cause the steering wobble, thus the inner bearing being the cause of the problem?
worn inner c/v,s can cause weird wobbles and shakes, pretty rare tho

I had an inner tie rod ball joint go, that made a fair bit of vibration... might be worth investigating, I though mine was a wheel weight or something until MOT man said otherwise

Other things are checking gearbox ? And brake disc making sure they all balanced and not catching my guesses only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double checked everything I could think of today with my brother to give a hand, inner cv joint is fine, I thought the drive shaft cup had a little to much play in it but my bro recons its fine. Does anyone know how much play the cup should have on an auto box? Checked the spigot rings and adjusted them a little as they werent quite sat right but still massive wobbles. My bro recons the wheel is out of balance but im unsure, id have thought a garage would get something as simple as that right.

Back