What would you do?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Right here's the story

I bought Dell Laptop on ebay, supposidly new and unused for about £450. Its a high spec, advertised with a leather bag, Cd's and the usual stuff.

When it arrived, i got a very much used laptop with cosmetic defects such as dirt and scratches. The laptop bag was missing. The O/S had been removed and Windows Professional installed, along with configuration done such as internet access, Office (probably pirate), other downloaded applications and updates. The leather case never arrived either

What really annoys me is the system is advertised as unused and its completely the opposite.

I've formatted the machine and said to the bloke i'd let the matter drop once the case arrives as i cant be arsed with the hassle.. the case arrived over a week later, and its an IBM case which the laptop doesnt even fit in!!

now the fuels back on the fire and im really furious the bloke sold the item with such a false description, and supplying such useless parts like the case when its no good for the Laptop.

I raised the dispute via paypal and he said i could send it back, but i really doubt i'd get either a full refund from paypal, or from him. If he's been very misleading and untrustworthy so far, what are the odd's i'd get my money back. His Ebay account has just been suspended for 'apparenently taking someone elses image', although that happens so often and i've never heard of people getting banned for it.

I can either forget the whole thing, flog the bag, or send the lot back for a refund which i probably wouldnt get and look for a more genuine condition laptop... but, what would you do in this situation. Should i keep the item and raise it with Paypal for partial compensation (if possible)? ...

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
Paypal will just say due to you recieving the item they will not refund you. Take it up with Ebay though, he will probably just get banned but I very much doubt you will get a refund.

Sounds like a wee detour roadtrip to me while en-route to the golf course ;)

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
TBH, ide have picked it up, then you know, sounds like a case of "if its to good to be true, it probably is", you should see it on the reall, hustle what they do to a lass with a laptop. ide chase it tho, try get your cash back.

Ems

Ex. Club Member
Don't send anythin back, he'll prob leg it with the laptop and your money. Just flog the bag and forget about it. Theres nothin to go on with this sort of thing these days so don't bother with the hassle.
Tbh with u it wouldn't suprise me if it's nicked. They obv thought it was new and unused, coz they're stupid and don't know how to use it. And if it is, u could lose the laptop and your money. They'd have a receipt if it was new, simple as.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
say you'll send it back, then get the guys address and we'll go kick some rear :)

i have loads of spare laptop bags if that what you're worried about.

the guy is a #### neither paypal or ebay are going to get your money back so take it into your own hands, i'd go see the guy with a bat :)

i really hate people who exploit other people, and i deal with them Muhahaha

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Its just very frustrating, i feel ripped off. If the true description was put on ebay, i wouldnt have bidded as much and i doubt anyone else would have either. I wouldnt be surprised if it was nicked, formatted to clear the previous owners ID and a false description to get it passed on asap. Oh well. Ive cleaned it up, just an arse i now need to fork out for a bag for it etc.

I received another item today described as good condition and it was crap!! Emailed the bloke straight away wanting to send it back, otherwise that'l end up in the bin. Not even good enough to resell. Cant say what, crimbo coming up n all that, just so frustrating people selling stuff as good etc when its pap.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
soz, the swear filter seems to ignore me lol

It wasn't to do with the swear filter, I think it was more to do with your aggressive response!

That's tough luck Arn, ebay is such a dodgy place sometimes!!!

Can't really do much in my oppinion mate.......although......surely this is a breach of the Trades Description Act?!?!?

Antony

Ex. Club Member
yes but youll only get done for it if your a trader..... otherwise its a private sale and theres nothing you can do about it....

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I just ranted about the case and the bloke replied with

The laptop case i've supplied was for my other laptop and I assumed it would fit inside. Obviously not. Will you accept £40 refund for the case (including return postage to me). That should be enough for you to buy a decent carry case. If so, i'll process the refund straight away so we can get this thing over and done with.

Which seems quite fair so i'l be doing that.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
I just ranted about the case and the bloke replied with

Which seems quite fair so i'l be doing that.

I'd take the £40 and flog the case on fleabay!!! He's sold you a laptop which was pants! What goes around, comes around!! Wouldn't bother returning it to him!!!

But that's me!!! Someone annoys me, I do the same back!!! That would make so much more sense if I could swear!!! Damn my poor sheppey vocabulary!!!

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
He wont refund me until he has the case, and its not in A1 condition either. Cracked handle and dirty, so i wouldnt get that much for it.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
He wont refund me until he has the case, and its not in A1 condition either. Cracked handle and dirty, so i wouldnt get that much for it.

so he wants the case back...then hell run off with £40?? :glare: :glare: :glare:

right then...lets stamp the foot of the micra comunity and go and kick his teeth somwhere not very pleasant...

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Lol. I just replied saying he should send the money back first, otherwise its an additional and unnecessary expense for me. Besides, i cant afford to send it back without the refund so we'l see what happens.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
howdya pay?....cos i allways pay by cheque...so they have to give me their address before i can send anything....so if it does go wrong..(and it has before) i can send in the heavies.....

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member

and the laptop YOu recived was in what condition?.........................

i think im with ollie on this one mate!

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Lol.

He's agreed to send £40 in cash by special delivery. His paypal account is nackered until i close the dispute, and although im in a position to ask for more, i just wanna get the whole thing out the way and move on.

Im sure if i could be bothered, i'd possibly get more, but then again he could say get lost and i wouldnt get anything at all, so seems ok to me.

NeX

Club Member
so he wants the case back...then hell run off with £40?? :glare: :glare: :glare:

right then...lets stamp the foot of the micra comunity and go and kick his teeth somwhere not very pleasant...

YEA!! see i'm not the only one who thinks we should do some shaftin'! make an example of him :devil:

Asraf

Deactivated Account
Lol.

He's agreed to send £40 in cash by special delivery. His paypal account is nackered until i close the dispute, and although im in a position to ask for more, i just wanna get the whole thing out the way and move on.

Im sure if i could be bothered, i'd possibly get more, but then again he could say get lost and i wouldnt get anything at all, so seems ok to me.
Dont post him the case back - put it in the bin
Say that he diddnt send you the cash, even though you have it in your pocket.
Justice.

NeX

Club Member
did you ask him why he lied about the computer? what made him think it was unused?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I did question why it was listed as new but he never seemed to answer that point. After three or four times of asking, i gave up as i knew he wouldnt bother replying to it.

Also, im a nice person and really dont have it in me to bin it or whatever. I know people would, i know others might do worse. If you've heard about that famous NTL complaint then you know what im on about!! i just wanna get some money back.

The laptop isnt all bad after i've cleaned it up. Still got a few marks that wont shift, but i think the spec isnt bad!

• DELL LATITUDE D510
  • PENTIUM M 1.73ghz CPU
  • 60gb 54rpm HDD
  • 1.5gb PC2-4200 DDR533 MEMORY
  • DVD-RW - DUAL LAYER
  • 15.1 TFT SCREEN
  • Wireless Network / modem / 10-100 Lan
Apparently only 4 months old, although havent checked that with Dell yet.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
oh man sorry to hear that arnold, i recently had to go through dispute with ebay and paypal too so here goes.

do not send anything back even if the seller ask for it back or willing to give refund, always check with paypal and ebay before taking further action.

open up a dispute on item doesnt match description which you have done already, wait for about 60 days as far as i can remember and send all the documentations all the way to Ebay germany and hopefully you will get your money back and plus the laptop as top! hehe

howdya pay?....cos i allways pay by cheque...so they have to give me their address before i can send anything....so if it does go wrong..(and it has before) i can send in the heavies.....

as i have learnt cheque is the most risky way to pay through ebay! cheque can be payable to anyone's name and they can still cash it (blind bank cashier dont give a poo), address can be false so nothing you can do about it. they could just put someone else's address on ebay and collect it there.

M

m1ck97

I did question why it was listed as new but he never seemed to answer that point. After three or four times of asking, i gave up as i knew he wouldnt bother replying to it.

Also, im a nice person and really dont have it in me to bin it or whatever. I know people would, i know others might do worse. If you've heard about that famous NTL complaint then you know what im on about!! i just wanna get some money back.

The laptop isnt all bad after i've cleaned it up. Still got a few marks that wont shift, but i think the spec isnt bad!

• DELL LATITUDE D510
  • PENTIUM M 1.73ghz CPU
  • 60gb 54rpm HDD
  • 1.5gb PC2-4200 DDR533 MEMORY
  • DVD-RW - DUAL LAYER
  • 15.1 TFT SCREEN
  • Wireless Network / modem / 10-100 Lan
Apparently only 4 months old, although havent checked that with Dell yet.

We use these at work. There ok laptops. Not a bad spec. However you could have got a better deal for the price you payed. I got my friend a nice laptop from comet for £500. It was on offer bear in mind, had the duel core processor, 1 gb ram, 120gb hard drive, 15' widescreen. Free upgrade to Vista. Veery nice.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah i know, if the real description was listed, it wouldnt have gone for as much as i'd paid. I certainly wouldnt have bidded as much.

I'l go to comet etc in future thats for sure!

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
oh man sorry to hear that arnold, i recently had to go through dispute with ebay and paypal too so here goes.

do not send anything back even if the seller ask for it back or willing to give refund, always check with paypal and ebay before taking further action.

open up a dispute on item doesnt match description which you have done already, wait for about 60 days as far as i can remember and send all the documentations all the way to Ebay germany and hopefully you will get your money back and plus the laptop as top! hehe

as i have learnt cheque is the most risky way to pay through ebay! cheque can be payable to anyone's name and they can still cash it (blind bank cashier dont give a poo), address can be false so nothing you can do about it. they could just put someone else's address on ebay and collect it there.

pre-dating a cheque is the most pointless thing to do after even writting the damn thing! if I were to pay over £100 or so, ide pick it up if possible. glad to hear its sorted(ish) arnold!