what is JDM?

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i thought that jdm was parts that came as standard on imported cars oposse to the uk version i.e the cup holders on the nissan march and not on the micra thus making it jdm, as the uk spec doesnt have them?

iam i right lol?

you get some people say that JDM is another term to jap style. iam right saying there wrong arnt i?

sorry but i would like to clear things up on this matter as iam a little confused :p

cheers
dan

japanese domestic market.....

so anything that is unavailable anywhere but jap-land is JDM.... as in the vauxhall brand is UKDM.........
etc

i know it stands for japanese domestic market lol so out of intrest is micra jas right saying his exhaust is JDM? as iam a bit unshure lol, its not that iam trying to get at jas its the fact iam just a little confused on who is right (not in a bad as in whos better than who lol) no offence micra jas.

right. if you can buy it outside japan, its not JDM..... however, if you buy from japan and import it, it is still JDM, but would have to be only available in the japanese specific cars, shops or tuners....

so although my wheels are a replica of a spoon sport wheel. because they are a replica and arent the real deal, plus the fact that they werent sourced from japan, they arent JDM..... however..... there is a part on my car, (not saying which bit) that is only available from japan, and that is not available to any other country, unless imported for your car........

thats jdm...

if someone has a japanese market manifold on their car then it could be classed as jdm, but only if you cant buy it from anywhere other than japan...

I dont think its that strict..

There is a JDM look/style.. and JDM parts..

You could say that the exhaust is JDM style, which would be a correct statement but its not really.. exhausts like that are usually just called JAP style..

You could say that the exhaust is JDM style, which would be a correct statement but its not really.. exhausts like that are usually just called JAP style..

that what i was thinking lol. as ive said i thought JDM was just parts that you can get on standard jap spec cars opposse to the uk spec ones.

right there is alot of crap about all this which winds me up when i hear "JDM Style"

JDM bits are bits that come on japanese cars from factory as standard like amber indicators, trim paterns only available in japan as a option, alloy ect or the march cup holders ect this jdm style of black rims subtle body kits is american crap stuff like HKS exhausts ect aren't JDM there aftermarket bits you dont get them on cars out of factory.. its like a japanese person putting a HKS made Peco big bore copy on there dihatsu and saying its UKDM init.. if they baught a set of uk spec micra alloys for there march that would be ukdm parts..

right there is alot of crap about all this which winds me up when i hear "JDM Style"

JDM bits are bits that come on japanese cars from factory as standard like amber indicators, trim paterns only available in japan as a option, alloy ect or the march cup holders ect this jdm style of black rims subtle body kits is american crap stuff like HKS exhausts ect aren't JDM there aftermarket bits you dont get them on cars out of factory.. its like a japanese person putting a HKS made Peco big bore copy on there dihatsu and saying its UKDM init.. if they baught a set of uk spec micra alloys for there march that would be ukdm parts..

this is my understanding of jdm.

JDM refers to anything on the Japanese market, a Japanese import car could be refered to as JDM as it is a vehicle deignated to the Japanese market. likewise anything I have imported from Japan I would refer to as JDM as it was sold on the Japanese domestic market. I have been involved with this sort of thing for ages, I think most peoples interpretation of JDM would as outlined above, anything destined or sourced from the Japanese Domestic Market. There isn't any rule to what is JDM, infact it is phrase that relates almost exclusively to the Automotive industry.

magazines like fastcar/redline/maxpower caused the confusion with the term' jdm' i was led to believe, if its available in japan its JDM. someone should do a wikipedia definition and put in on 'all da krooz sitez innit'

Back