what fluids for the Pao ?

Just a quick question. do these engines run happily on unleaded or do they need an additive or head work to run ok on modern unleaded ? and whats the best oil ? 15w 40 ?

Hi feeenix 14 . Unleaded is fine in your pao as with any car built since the early eighties . I use 5w30 semi synthetic in mine .

luvvly jubbly cheers Fabster, just cleaned the tank out and the sludge that came out was un flipping believable, so need to get it painted and some fresh unleaded in there and see if it will crank into life

Make sure to change your filter and then after a few hundred more change it again as there is bound to be some residue left behind .

Hi all, Back in January of this year, when I received my PAO, I wondered the same thing. Here in the U.S. 10% or more ethanol is required in 87 octane fuel. The 91 octane fuel being termed as recreational fuel is not required to contain any ethanol. Being that our PAO's are now 25 years old and carbureted, the ethanol will damage the gaskets and seals. I had a similar problem with an old 1971 SAAB 96 that I had last year. I just replaced the whole carb and ran the 91 octane. It's only a few pennies more per gallon, but our cars get 40 plus mpg.
I was also looking for reference to the oil in the Haynes manual. It said that 5W-30 oil is fine, and here's another kicker, it requires only a tad less than 3 U.S. quarts with filter. I guess there are a lot of advantages to collecting vintage economy cars.

Take care,
Mark

It's been recommended to me to use Lucas semi synthetic, and yes at 3 liters it's pretty "green". Also I had been told to use the highest octane as in Japan they don't have the lower octane and our cars were made for the domestic market there. (I have no idea if that is true).
My car is a standard version and came from the factory without any air conditioning equipment, traveling between 80 and 100 kph on near perfect conditions I got close to 65 mpg.

Back