what engine oil?

G

GKY

Hi, I just bought a 2001 1.0S Vibe wih 22k miles yesterday.

The car manual suggested using 5W-30 engine oil for better fuel consumption & 10W-30 oil for the UK, etc. I check the history & the dealer used Magnatec 10W-40 for the first oil change & Castrol SLX 0W-30 for the second oild change, ... which oil is better for engine longevity?

Many thanks,

GKY

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
the 0W-30 will be fully synthetic for better lubrication and 'enthusiastic' driving apparently. I recently serviced mine with 10W-40 this is partly synthetic.

If you head into your local Hellfrauds and look at the oils they should have a small laminated book, Look for your model and it will tell you what oils are what for your car and what's best to use. Then go buy it somewhere else that's cheaper ;)

OP
OP
G

GKY

Many thanks. I shall buy some oil & filter & do it during the weekend.

GKY

OP
OP
G

GKY

hughes_16v said:
when you buy that filter, dont buy a cheap one with a japanese name, they melt

:suspect: Will the ones supplied by Halford OK then? The local Nissan dealer folded some months ago & the nearnest one is about an hour drive away, ...

GKY

S

squigbobble

GKY said:
:suspect: Will the ones supplied by Halford OK then? The local Nissan dealer folded some months ago & the nearnest one is about an hour drive away, ...

GKY
Try a motor factors near u, they're in the Yellow Pages. They're probably the place that garages get some of their bits from anyway, I got a pair of drums from one myself. Unlike Halfords, when u ask them if they sock drums for a '96 Micra they won't ask "Are they on the front or the back?" as Mr. Work-Experience did... I had to try really hard not to laugh at him and make some sarcastic comment about it being 2005 not 1955.

OP
OP
G

GKY

Many thanks.

I have a good look in the engine compartment, ... I think the only way that I can access the engine oil filter is to jack the car up & reach it underneath fwn why Nissan makes it so complicated?

hughes_16v said:
when you buy that filter, dont buy a cheap one with a japanese name, they melt

which one is that? Which are the best filters then? I heard it's Nipon - that not right??

edit - I wanna buy my next filter lot off eBay - are there any anyone recommend/don't recommend?

stokefan said:
which one is that? Which are the best filters then? I heard it's Nipon - that not right??

edit - I wanna buy my next filter lot off eBay - are there any anyone recommend/don't recommend?

god knows which one but it was cheap. coopers are good as well, also never had no problems with halfords either

C

ChrisB

hughes_16v said:
yeah halfords are fine

They're just twice as expensive:

set of 4 bosch plugs from halfords = £19.99 inc VAT
same bosch plugs from motor factors place = £8.98 inc VAT

Plus, they guy in the motor factors place knew what he was talking about and they had everything I wanted in stock.