what does NCVT mean?

P

Pink moon

Ok, I have a '93 one point automatic Nissan Micra and it does not start. Recently "NCVT" just appears when I start the car. Has this happened to anyone before or do any of you know what the problem may be? I know nothing about cars!!

Many thanks!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
it means the rubber band in your car has gone lol :)

basically the NCVT is to do with the type of transmittion and if it is flashing it up on the dash then there is probably a problem with the auto gearbox...

do you mean that the engine doesn't start or does it just not go anywhere?

Pete

Site Supporter
I really hope for your sake that nothing is wrong with your gearbox, but yes NCVT relates to the Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT) that the K11 used, much like a scooter it relys on the two variable pullys with a Vshaped belt between to change the ratio i.e. the gear.

It's been used in cars for ages, since the old DAF automatics, but not usually used as they tend to rely on unreliable eltrostatic clutches. More traditional autobox's as used in the K10 are much better.

Pete

Site Supporter
I know how it works, I re-built the CVT on my ped back in the day, with lightened rollers so the rev's were higher before it changed position. :p

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
I know how it works, I re-built the CVT on my ped back in the day, with lightened rollers so the rev's were higher before it changed position. :p

ah well you see i steer clear of anything with a rubber band in it lol :p:p

Pete

Site Supporter
CVT works well where the power is low enough to work from a simple centrifugal clutch, but where you start getting hi-tech it's a recipe for disaster.

OooOoOo Ive had every bit and bob off my ped :D 6 gram rollers in her...when it was 50cc did 62mph...But blew it up :( now ive put a 100cc in it :laugh: Cruzin with the big boys.

Soorrryy....its nothing to do with NCVT but anythin to do with peds...am there :D

Pete

Site Supporter
cvt's are exactly the most rewarding drives, the engine revs to a certain point and that's it, the car catches up with the engine.

Almost as if your accelarating without actually accelarating because there is no direct link between the engine revs and the speed. If you get what I mean.