what did you do to your micra today ?

Got the new micra jacked up after cleaning it yesterday
SHes clean tho im still going over the coil mounts and rear sill, take the under seal off and clean up, but of treatment and paint ,
Ad least then should get more years problem free , cause the rest is clean as , never welded, only things are a small rip in the driver's seat, two front tyres, and two dings ,
Even the stereo screen worked 90% haha

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_114319_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190224_114319_hdr.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20190224_114332_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190224_114332_hdr.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20190224_114349_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190224_114349_hdr.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20190224_114412_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190224_114412_hdr.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20190224_114424_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190224_114424_hdr.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 206
Diesel fuel on old faded flat paintwork/ bodywork is a well-known old kerbstone dealer trick followed up with Pledge or similar spray on furniture polish, to disguise the smell & brighten up rejuvenate all the surfaces quickly at marginal costs ready for selling on.

Got me out of the poo with a couple of my old leave off bangers to sell on about 40 years ago!

Happy lad,
Cleaned up.the sills, rust treated ,painted and waxoiled, brought the greys back with a heat gun and old engine oil , and went over the car ,,Ad least then it should be maintenance free for the foreseeable future , (just a few hours of work if that may add years on the car and less on your pocket )
Passed mot pretty much faultless, only minors were grease on some brake pipes , but they are clean , they were surprised at how clean it is
Since I wasn't keeping its up forsale now but was a bit of fun lol
It's been a while since driving a bone stock 1ltr , feels weird , use to the 1.3 POWER!! Haha

Attachments

• P270219_14.29[01].JPG
    P270219_14.29[01].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 214
  • P270219_14.21.JPG
    P270219_14.21.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 213
Get annoyed , This week it got a nail in the tyre, ran out of petrol (basically soon the gauge hit the bottom it ran out ,where normally it has 30so miles) left the lights on so bad a flat battery , and it's decided to 30mpg , but runs fine , mmmmn,
Oh and been like this for a while but takes a while for the pump to prime when on a angle or two start so it's under suspicion and the maf

Found out that with my N-CVT I can set off in DS mode which locks the lower ratios helping me get away from the people that floor it when I pull out, then slide into D with a smooth transition to normal drive once up to 40mph.

Massive quality of life improvement :)

Started on cleaning up and spraying the wheels, ready for the new wheel trims which are on order.

Didn't get every bit of rust off just did my best to get as much as I could off. These wheels are 17 years old, so I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but as I was putting trims on too, I just wanted the wheel to look better behind the trim.

As it turns out I am pretty pleased with the result. Once all wheels are done and on car with trims I will get some pics and update.
00000.jpg
000001.jpg
000003.jpg

Attachments

• 000004.jpg
    000004.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 000005.jpg
    000005.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 167
  • 000006.jpg
    000006.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 000007.jpg
    000007.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 170
Micra obsessed ?

THIS IS MY MICRA

There are many like it but this one is mine.

My Micra is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I master my life.

My Micra, without me is useless. Without my Micra, I am useless.

I must love my Micra true.

I must drive fasterr than anyone who is trying to pass me.

I must pass him before he passes me.

I will…

My Micra and I know that what counts in this life is not the endless repairs we do, the noise of our engines, nor the welding smoke we make.

We know that it is the endless Micra life’s work repairing that counts.

We will repair & repair…

My Micra is human, even as I, because it is my life.

Thus, I will learn it as a girlfriend or brother.

I will learn her weakness, her strength, her parts, her accessories, her eyes and her likes.

I will keep my Micra gf clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.

We will become part of each other.

We will…

Before God I swear this creed.

My Micra and myself are the love of my life.

We are the masters of our destiny.

We are the Micra saviour’s of my life.

So be it, until love is Micra and there is no love, but Micra love. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips for working on your car when you don't have access to a driveway or garage any more?

first 5 years I had it I had a driveway, then it was in an open air parking garage for a while all cars parked quite close together but fairly private. But now it's parked on the street, it has never been more neglected because it's such a pain to work on with people walking past all the time

Anyone have any tips for working on your car when you don't have access to a driveway or garage any more?

first 5 years I had it I had a driveway, then it was in an open air parking garage for a while all cars parked quite close together but fairly private. But now it's parked on the street, it has never been more neglected because it's such a pain to work on with people walking past all the time

I do mobile mechanics, I just get on and crack on but yes sometimes people can be annoying... Just make sure you keep an eye on your tools!

Yesterday I recieved my set of Blox extended lugs (m12 1.25) for some Rota Flashbacks I fitted, which ive been prepping the last couple of days:cool:
Made the jump from 13s to 15s and the difference aint all that bad, apart from the light scrubbing at full lock which was easily solved by plugging back the wheel arch spats that were a tad loose.
D0010856-F857-44F0-8432-5774F65FC687.JPG

The 60mm lugs sorted the proper low reach when compared to the standard wheel nuts on thread.

IMG_0165.JPG

Thinking of doing a 30/35mm drop to finish the fitment off.
Ideas welcome(y)

What did you do to your micra today? Swore at it a whole bunch.

piddly little rusty screws attached to maintenance items, supposedly a rubber seal for a moisture-free environment then how has it still managed to weld itself in there well enough that with half a can of wd-40 on it it still strips both the cross and the flat on the screwhead. Been lodged 6 elbows deep in the enginebay through a field of things to cut my arms on, who designed this heap of sh*t. I've been to the dentist today so I've had my face half feeling like it's melting through novocaine and half hurting like I don't know what, not been able to eat all day. I live far too close now to too many nosey-b*stards too who think me fixing my car is a spectator sport and since there's no driveway they can crowd round, or these stay-at-home-mum's sat in the garden screaming their heads off at their kids (louder than the kids themselves) through slurred speech because the sun's out and they've had too many cocktail-in-a-can's even though it's only 2pm. The tennis elbow they all suffer - from continually patting themselves on the back - is thoroughly undeserved. I'd swap this for that in an instant.

any bolt under 8mm is useless, all screws are completely and utterly useless unless they're sunk into wood. What in the seven hells would compel someone to put so many teenie-tiny fixings in such stupid hard to reach places for things that need to be changed frequently? And to get those same things on a bench would require taking half the car apart. Not had a good day today. Considered buying a nissan leaf.

That better , got some JDM lights , one reverse was painted red and had a little crack so put then in the oven at 100deg for 10mins or so, and pealed them open sat there with a toothbrush cleaning them out and cleaned , repaired the insides , wired the bodged holders used a plug off a UK spec light and now all good to go, still not perfect but good for what they are ,
And put a red bulb in the driver's side reverse as a fog , (doesn't come up on the pics)
IMG_20190513_015323291.jpeg
IMG_20190513_142655502.jpeg
IMG_20190513_180102275.jpeg
IMG_20190513_181819712.jpeg
IMG_20190513_165521359.jpeg
IMG_20190513_170856432.jpeg
IMG_20190513_165516622.jpeg
IMG_20190513_182529045.jpeg
IMG_20190513_182611725.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I'm jealous of those places in America you see on car hoarding shows where there's an expanse of land and it barely rains. Imagine being able to own enough land to park 30 cars just baking out in the sun rust-free since the 60's

Just a shame about everything else that goes on in that country lol

Yesterday was stripping down the celebration , to do the wings , and finish the welding (still needs doing)
Fitted some march lights to the other yellow one and the 35coils on the rear , (what a git to get the old ones out , they are like new ) and started on the headlights but was ill so packed up , heat isn't doing me well
IMG_20190515_150412137_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20190515_165257458_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20190516_121928145_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20190516_143429908_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

What is it with people.
I know underseal has a point but when its filling the drain holes in the sills it sucks when you poke holes through it lol

Nice sunny day so I thought I'd have a proper look at the sills as parts are bubbling and found this...... not super bad but more annoying than anything.

Time to go get some gas for the mig, or do I just tig it

Looking online sills are like 16 quid a side
20190519_124335.jpeg
20190519_124433.jpeg
20190519_124405.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Last edited:
I have a question you might be able to answer since you've taken these apart. I have some condensation inside my headlights, the car hasn't been moving in a while so they've not been used. When the lights are on and the bulb gets hot, did you see any holes to let the evaporated water out of? I'm hoping if I just leave them on for an hour it should all evaporate and come out on it's own. If not, any tips for drying out the inside?

Last edited:
What is it with people.
I know underseal has a point but when its filling the drain holes in the sills it sucks when you poke holes through it lol

Nice sunny day so I thought I'd have a proper look at the sills as parts are bubbling and found this...... not super bad but more annoying than anything.

Time to go get some gas for the mig, or do I just tig it

Looking online sills are like 16 quid a side View attachment 63644View attachment 63645View attachment 63646

The undersealing contributed to it that bad? I've been wanting to get mine sealed. It's difficult to stop the rot on the bottom of a car especially in a wet/snowy country, p*sses me off that they don't protect all that bare metal on the bottom better from the factory - wants a ton of paint on components and a sump-guard that's big enough for the whole underbody to save it from going full flintstone's car

Although saying that your's isn't so bad, just a shame about the paint how it's started to creep upwards

The undersealing contributed to it that bad? I've been wanting to get mine sealed. It's difficult to stop the rot on the bottom of a car especially in a wet/snowy country, p*sses me off that they don't protect all that bare metal on the bottom better from the factory - wants a ton of paint on components and a sump-guard that's big enough for the whole underbody to save it from going full flintstone's car

Although saying that your's isn't so bad, just a shame about the paint how it's started to creep upwards
I don't know if it has or hasn't (I'm presuming there are drainage gaps in the seam at the bottom as it was slathered with seal) as most of the sill is fine and it just seems to be the last foot or so in front of the rear wheels.

I think my plan will be to chop out the rot and give the sills a coating inside with something to inhibit the rust

It is a shame about it creeping up but hopefully with it being a basic red I can spray it in and it wont look too bad

Worries me a bit that the old guy was really nice and genuine but it has nearly a year mot on it so hopefully that's the only hidden nastys

At least sills and front x member seem to be the main bad points on cars getting on a bit compared to other brands

Don t underseal trust me , it will.kill it, same as underseal or waxoil ect over the original underseal won't stop rust,
Underseal absorbs water and can peak or hide rust till it's too late,
Take it back and waxoil , it's better ,

I have a question you might be able to answer since you've taken these apart. I have some condensation inside my headlights, the car hasn't been moving in a while so they've not been used. When the lights are on and the bulb gets hot, did you see any holes to let the evaporated water out of? I'm hoping if I just leave them on for an hour it should all evaporate and come out on it's own. If not, any tips for drying out the inside?
Really want to have a hot day and take the side light out or such or could take the lights off and put them in the oven at low temp ,
Do they have the boots fitted around the headlight bulbs, that seems to be the vent

Here is a micra that was undersealed
Can see how it held water.And hid the rust ,put it this way it was a clean car before , even the rear vents were good (hadn't been understated ) which always are.rotten, but everything that was undersealed was rusty and rough ,
IMG_20181021_165803_hdr.jpg
IMG_20181021_165603_hdr.jpg
IMG_20181021_165649_hdr.jpg

Can see how it held water.And hid the rust ,put it this way it was a clean car before , even the rear vents were good (hadn't been understated ) which always are.rotten, but everything that was undersealed was rusty and rough ,
View attachment 63647View attachment 63648View attachment 63649
so you think wirebrush, maybe one of those liquids that turn surface rust back into metal, leave it to work, and then waxoil to protect

That's the way to go?

so you think wirebrush, maybe one of those liquids that turn surface rust back into metal, leave it to work, and then waxoil to protect

That's the way to go?
View attachment 63647View attachment 63648View attachment 63649

The channels, box sections, & floorpans tend to rot from the inside outwards & as you say the under seal carelessly applied tends to block the drain hole slots & retains moisture accelerating the oxidising corrosion process hidden unseen.

The channels, box sections & floorpans tend to rot from the inside outwards & the under seal carelessly applied tends to block the drain hole slots & retains moisture accelerating the oxidising corrosion process hidden unseen.