what did you do to your micra today ?

Well done, that’s a lot of work to save an early K10 with point’s ignition? :)

I prematurely & with hindsight 10 years ago mistakenly sold on my last K10, a 1989 1.2 GS with 160K miles, mostly because I was too Idle to get a rusty door post plus a box section welded under the rear passenger seat. :rolleyes:
Thanks. I had never intended on doing this much to it, I just wanted to drive it. But it was clear the HG was on its way out. Points/dizzy cap, rotor n leads.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
All very mundane I'm afraid. Yet another front side light bulb blew last night so I took the opportunity to change both sides from the old fashioned tungsten filament ones to these brilliant white LED ones....
4AF9z53.jpg

Also started doing turbo stuff. Ran into a small snag with radiator clearance so having to revisit that Tuesday when a new rad turns up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Tore the wishbone bush hitting a pot hole and threaded both rear fixings so had to cut holes in the floor to nut them up from above.
e350e5144d57abec8fca0e75ffb8fbe3.jpg
7427c87fa8ed7bfc1d7916621f256c75.jpg
a19fa1cfe802e4a5b02a4669fb5cefdd.jpg

Perfect excuse for an upgrade to polybushes

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

Also started doing turbo stuff. Ran into a small snag with radiator clearance so having to revisit that Tuesday when a new rad turns up!!!

a6dcbafcb2eb45d52d13a6c8e9ed67c0.jpg

There is a turbo on my engine. Hope it survives combe without an intercooler

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Was just about to tackle the rear suspension on the parts car, and I was faced with this. The other side is worse, it's completely snapped off. Think I'll have to cut the nuts.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Was just about to tackle the rear suspension on the parts car, and I was faced with this. The other side is worse, it's completely snapped off. Think I'll have to cut the nuts.

1521216124643.jpg

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Yeah just cut the nuts thats what I did.

Had the same idea. Good to hear you didn't melt a piston today, are you adding in an ic into the mix in the future?

1521229108653.jpg

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Absolutely it's only because I ran out of time to do hood pins and remount the new rad properly I didn't!

Makes sense, at least it survived. Would be cool to see any performance differences or intake temperature with and without an intercooler

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Had a spare few hours today so I started removing the thermostat and rad from the parts car
1521480614149.jpg

But I noticed my tools were getting a bit clicky and stiff, so took them apart to regrease. Upon reassembly, I realised something was a bit wrong
1521480814776.jpg

Pretty sure I've got a leaking front crank seal as the source of my leak. Noticed it after the shake down before the trackday so it must've been on it's way out and increased crankcase pressures must've just sent it on its merry way! Worse things happen at sea!

Pretty sure I've got a leaking front crank seal as the source of my leak. Noticed it after the shake down before the trackday so it must've been on it's way out and increased crankcase pressures must've just sent it on its merry way! Worse things happen at sea!

Noob question when the crank seal leaks does it leak engine oil or gear oil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Micra Sports Club mobile app

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Shiny newness View attachment 56626

Tried a quick test fit of my bushes, it seems the new front ones for nismo arb just don't want to fit. There's about a 2mm gap in the ends where as the old bushes fit fine.
1522505871608.jpg

They also don't want to fit at all in the brackets. Is this just what new solid bushes are like. Haven't found anything of help online

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Tried a quick test fit of my bushes, it seems the new front ones for nismo arb just don't want to fit. There's about a 2mm gap in the ends where as the old bushes fit fine.View attachment 56629
They also don't want to fit at all in the brackets. Is this just what new solid bushes are like. Haven't found anything of help online

Can't edit last post for some reason but this massive step can't be right
1522507049962.jpg

Can't edit last post for some reason but this massive step can't be rightView attachment 56630

Hmm they don't look 100% right to me. Mine only sat a few mm out of the clamp when not bolted to the car. Obviously the clamp when bolting in squishes the bush slightly. Looks like it's slightly the wrong diameter, if you can't send back I'd just grind the bush down a little bit and open the hole with a round file.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Hmm they don't look 100% right to me. Mine only sat a few mm out of the clamp when not bolted to the car. Obviously the clamp when bolting in squishes the bush slightly. Looks like it's slightly the wrong diameter, if you can't send back I'd just grind the bush down a little bit and open the hole with a round file.

The pair that came with it (originals from Jap land I think) fit the bracket fine and only sit about 2 mm proud of the blanket. These new ones are way more and I don't think there is any room for squishing these ones. I'll fire an email to strongflex and see what they say about them being too long.

In terms of the diameter, I was going off this post https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/the-beast.53963/ which was the previous owner of my parts car where it said 25mm. Admittedly I never measured it and only took his word for it so it might well be a bit wrong.

By the way is anyone else having serious issues with the app recently. Not able to post pictures in edit posts, images only being attachments now instead of separate images, taking about 4 trys to post each picture or threads just not showing up unless you go looking for them individually? Just wondering

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Although they don't look 100% right, I am sure mine were like that. I just lubed them up (copper slip), and fitted them and they bedded in fine with no issues on the rally car.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Although they don't look 100% right, I am sure mine were like that. I just lubed them up (copper slip), and fitted them and they bedded in fine with no issues on the rally car.
Thanks for the info, I'll see what they're like on fitting. I sent an email to strongflex themselves, which would have been the obvious thing to do but I was fairly sleep deprived and not thinking straight. Anyway, I'll see how it goes when I fit them in the coming weeks. Waiting until I get slightly wider stickier tyres just in case these make the car slightly skittish but I'll keep ye updated

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Thanks for the info, I'll see what they're like on fitting. I sent an email to strongflex themselves, which would have been the obvious thing to do but I was fairly sleep deprived and not thinking straight. Anyway, I'll see how it goes when I fit them in the coming weeks. Waiting until I get slightly wider stickier tyres just in case these make the car slightly skittish but I'll keep ye updated

Just looking at the rears which came off the car but are in fine condition, and they stick out too. I'll presume that it's all correct, and just go ahead with it. Thanks for the help peoples
1522589047038.jpg

Why fit wider tyres?
If fitting these make the car 'skittish' and thus need better tyres, you've evidently just removed mechanical grip from the car.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Why fit wider tyres?
If fitting these make the car 'skittish' and thus need better tyres, you've evidently just removed mechanical grip from the car.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Micra Sports Club mobile app
I'm going to change the wheels anyway, and the new ones are 6 inch wide as opposed to 5.5 so there will be slightly bigger tyres on them because of that. Having never driven a car with bigger anti roll bars, I don't know what to fully expect. I'll be fitting the adjustable rear one first, on full soft setting, in case it makes it lethally snappy at the back. Usually the rear arb is used to reduce understeer on a fwd car, but an overly stuff rear will just make it oversteer. As micras tend to oversteer rather than understeer from the factory I'll just have to experiment to find the balance

well yesterday got the micra i lent my sister back, 5 months ,london, nottingham, derby, blackpool and daily and sat in stanley under a few foot of snow for over week without a single miss , unlike their previous new cars haha
anywas it wanted a service , valet and some minor bits aswell as bumblebee decided that the n/s caliper would stick on turning the disc blue and stinking, o/s was ok ish, so on the night got the service out the way
today did two track rods, valet, wash, check over and on bumblebee did both calipers, discs, replaced a disc and done a bit of surface rust the sill :'( , shes still solid tho , tho the modded RJ filter saab 9000 airfilter is doing well
anyways, so now i got two silver micras forsale lol and a black one looming closer to scrap

Attachments

• P08-04-18_20.46.JPG
    P08-04-18_20.46.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • P09-04-18_18.24.JPG
    P09-04-18_18.24.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 176

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Had a couple of hours so spent it prepping the last of the wheels. I actually think they look really cool in a tatty patina kind of look
1523466240995.jpg

Yes a micra died, bit if I have the chance to win a holiday and a grand I don't mind

"Only one holiday for your Micra"? o_O

For my Micra I get two holidays every year each of two weeks Thompson Gold 4 star all-inclusive in the Mediterranean or Canary islands for the Mrs and myself. Paid for with the money I save by running a cheapo chirpy chirpy cheap K11 that just keeps going for depreciation finance & maintenance cost free motoring year after year again & again.

I put petrol in the back, the Mrs & myself in the front & my K11 takes us to the airport for the holidays that its very low running cost savings pay for.

That’s what I call a Micra K11 smiley face result! :)

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
"Only one holiday for your Micra"? o_O

For my Micra I get two holidays every year each of two weeks Thompson Gold 4 star all-inclusive in the Mediterranean or Canary islands for the Mrs and myself. Paid for with the money I save by running a cheapo chirpy chirpy cheap K11 that just keeps going for depreciation finance & maintenance cost free motoring year after year again & again.

I put petrol in the back, the Mrs & myself in the front & my K11 takes us to the airport for the holidays that its very low running cost savings pay for.

That’s what I call a Micra K11 smiley face result! :)

I'm sure I save lots from running a micra instead of the usual golf's or passats most lads my age have here in Ireland. This is the opportunity of having a holiday out of another micra misfortunes.

I think we all agree, all hail the micra..:p

Check this out on msn's "Bangers that work. 20 bargain cars that won't let you down". The Micra comes in at number 13.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/owne...t-let-you-down/ss-AAvNIjp?li=BBoPWjQ#image=13

Entertaining list of dream boats value trap bargain buy gas guzzlers with sky high VED road tax rates that would also cost twice as much to insure than they are worth in the UK?

Where were the real sub compact cheap as chips to run bargain runabout buys such as follows; Toyota Yaris, Corolla, Honda Jazz, Hyundai i10, VW Lupo 1L, VW polo to name a few in the same class category that can hold a candle to the legendary K11?

Last edited:
Entertaining list of dream boats value trap bargain buy gas guzzlers with sky high VED road tax rates that would also cost twice as much to insure than they are worth in the UK?

Where were the real sub compact cheap as chips to run bargain runabout buys such as follows; Toyota Yaris, Corolla, Honda Jazz, Hyundai i10, VW Lupo 1L, VW polo to name a few in the same class category that can hold a candle to the legendary K11?

I agree with you. However this article being on msn is high praise as they don't usually mention the micra. Not sure about this Auto magazine tho as others probably know it better than me.

At this micra's 18 year age and given that you can pick one up cheaper for closer to 100 to 150 quid on ebay, maybe with a little bit of work, which you can't with most, if not all of the cars you have mentioned, I would say the micra wins hands down for that age banger value wise. Plus, there are seem to be more micras around at this age than the other cars you have mentioned bar maybe the polo. Talking of which, the micra new, had far fewer breakdowns in its first 3 years of motoring than the legendary reliable polo.

We could be debate which of the the bangers you have mentioned is the best value for money at around the 18 years old but I recon the micra would be within the top three for the price.

Was experiencing intermittent leaning out whilst cruising and has started only achieving around 0.7v at full boost on the narrowband gauge I set up. Put it down to the oem fuel pump biting the dust and finally fitted my (wrong) walbro from rallynuts. Did the job. Back up to 0.9/1.0v full throttle and steady 0.5v cruising. Pulling much harder in boost and a lot smoother