what did you do to your micra today ?

I bought another Micra today. Pics to follow when I collect it tomorrow.
I bought a Vauxhall Agila 1.2 yesterday - pretty impressive little thing.
Going to give it to my grandson, and his partner.
IMG_20160517_102559_zpsys0r5fmo.jpg

I have two micras, one 1.3gx 1998, and a 1.3slx 1995. This past fortnight I've de bumpstripped/stickered and polished the hell out of the SLX, they look good in cinnabar red, removed the throttle body cleaned and resoldered, cleaned the ICV. reinstalled adjusted the idle, (turns out my waxstat still works) removed all rattling heat shielding hoovered installed my amp and sub new cd player. have lots of service bits to do to it, oil, plugs, brake pads, fuel filter. new back box waiting to go on, both belts are being changed soon. need to get new wishbones and clutch needs changing. not sure if i have a squeal from the alt water pump or idler pulley but need to diagnose and fix that. a bulb needs swapping and i need to find out why my intermittent wipers work intermittently haha. few things i want to do is clean and paint the rocker cover, i have a new gasket ready for that, remove and respray colour coded bumpers with gloss black strips and paint door handles and boot handle gloss black, get a horizontal wiper for the back. trying to source two off side wings as both have big dents from previous owners. cleaned the GX today and managed to snap a handle off got a spare to replace it with. its also developed a rattle somewhere along the exhaust which was only swapped last year hmmmmmm.

Took the Micra for the longest run to date - 256 miles round trip to Brands Hatch for BSB! Mega impressed by the MPG, an incredible 49MPG average. Mostly motorway (M3/M25) at a steady(ish! LOL) 70 but all the same, super impressed! My bike's got the same size engine (more or less) and wouldn't have got close to that!!

Managed 29mpg on the last tank

'94 k11 dot 1.0
McGill Motorsport steering wheel
Mountney steering wheel boss kit
Side exit peashooter exhaust
Lowered on Kilen springs
Renault 5 GT turbo turbine wheels 13"
Nankang NS2R semi slicks on the front
Whiteline front arb (not fitted)
Idle control systems removed
Intake trumpet on throttle body
Micra SR clocks (green)
GT15 turbo to be fitted (waiting on rrfpr)

Managed 29mpg on the last tank

'94 k11 dot 1.0
McGill Motorsport steering wheel
Mountney steering wheel boss kit
Side exit peashooter exhaust
Lowered on Kilen springs
Renault 5 GT turbo turbine wheels 13"
Nankang NS2R semi slicks on the front
Whiteline front arb (not fitted)
Idle control systems removed
Intake trumpet on throttle body
Micra SR clocks (green)
GT15 turbo to be fitted (waiting on rrfpr)

Best I've ever squeezed out of one of mine - 71 mpg.

WTF! Yesterday I stripped down the drivers side door to get to the central locking mechanism, checked it put everything back. Can't believe it just got home shut the drivers door and heard a thud inside the door, then realised I left my magnetic torch inside the bloody door lol! :-S
Numpty (!) :rolleyes:
Best one I ever done was on an oil change.
Topping up after doing the business, I kept putting more, and more in.
Can't be right, it never holds this much - you guessed it - didn't put the bloody sump plug back in - a gallon on the floor.
Numpty as well.:rolleyes:

WTF! Yesterday I stripped down the drivers side door to get to the central locking mechanism, checked it put everything back. Can't believe it just got home shut the drivers door and heard a thud inside the door, then realised I left my magnetic torch inside the bloody door lol! :-S

I will now have to drive around with a really annoying rattle every time I go over a bump or pot hole in the road till the weekend lol! :confused:

Worse still I left the LED torch on so will have to buy new batteries! o_O

Last edited:
Has anyone had the front swaybar bang off the chassis just where the power steering comes through? Getting knocking noises and saw that just that area was worn from the arb rubbing

Has anyone had the front swaybar bang off the chassis just where the power steering comes through? Getting knocking noises and saw that just that area was worn from the arb rubbing

If it's a Whiteline ARB then yes.

Whiteline didn't leave much tolerance so some cars suffer from the ARB hitting the chassis leg where the rack goes through.

Put the k10 up for sale.
I can't justify two silly cars, when I really need a daily that can tow the rally car when necessary.

K10 1986, preface lift etc etc very very tidy.
PM if wanted :)

I will now have to drive around with a really annoying rattle every time I go over a bump or pot hole in the road till the weekend lol! :confused:

Worse still I left the LED torch on so will have to buy new batteries! o_O
Can't believe it the bloody central locking mechanism is now working, must be the magnets on the torch affecting the mechanism lol! :-S

Can't believe it the bloody central locking mechanism is now working, must be the magnets on the torch affecting the mechanism lol! :-S
My central locking wasn't working in my new Micra. Took out the mechanism and both motors are ceased.

Fully strip down and clean up. Repaired both motors and rebuilt.

Fully assembled and now the car has central locking. Wonder how long it's been like that, as I had to replace the key fob buttons also to fix the remote function.

The other weekend I stripped down the central locking mechanism couldn't see anything major only a bit of corrosion on the outside casing of one of the motors? If you slam the drivers door shut every door locks? :-S
1464112456399.jpg

If it's a Whiteline ARB then yes.

Whiteline didn't leave much tolerance so some cars suffer from the ARB hitting the chassis leg where the rack goes through.
I got mine from scrapyard so i wouldnt think its whiteline, all painted black no markings. Anything I can do to stop it happening?

Spent the last week faffing around changing a gearbox and clutch in my Seat Arosa. Horrible job :(
Was driving along in the Micra today, approached a roundabout, changed into 2nd and the effing clutch went pop.
Kinda weird as its only 1 year old.
Time to take it apart and see what's up.

Spent the last week faffing around changing a gearbox and clutch in my Seat Arosa. Horrible job :(
Was driving along in the Micra today, approached a roundabout, changed into 2nd and the effing clutch went pop.
Kinda weird as its only 1 year old.
Time to take it apart and see what's up.
Clutch or cable (?)

Clutch or cable (?)
Definitely something clutch related mate.
First thing I checked was the cable. Cable is still operating the clutch arm as usual.
The clutch pedal has become really stiff so prob pressure plate or the mechanism that pushes the release bearing.
I am all clutched out at the moment. The Arosa clutch was a real ball ache lol

Definitely something clutch related mate.
First thing I checked was the cable. Cable is still operating the clutch arm as usual.
The clutch pedal has become really stiff so prob pressure plate or the mechanism that pushes the release bearing.
I am all clutched out at the moment. The Arosa clutch was a real ball ache lol
Sounds like an internal problem, probably a spring gone, a few on here have had that. Unlucky mate.

Spent too much time trying to discover why my brake lights have all stopped working recently. :(

I've checked the system from the lights up to the pedal switch and all seems good. However, there appears to be no permanent 12v supply going to the switch and the Haynes manual shows there should be a fuse (F5, 10A) from the ignition relay - and there isn't a fuse in the box! Scratchy head time... :confused:

IIRC Micra brake lights work all the time, so not ignition relay dependant..? Either way just put a new 12v feed to the switch, with a new fuse.

Cheers SuperUno,

They do (did) work without ignition on. Why they don't now is puzzling me. The Haynes manual shows a feed from the ignition relay - permanent, via white/red wire - that goes through Fuse F5 and on to the pedal switch. And there isn't a fuse in that slot!o_O There should be a 12V supply at the switch I'm thinking and there isn't. Where the power comes from is difficult to trace as the wires all go into the main trunking.

I've tried and tested everything from the switch out to the lights and all good, so where it's gone wrong is eluding me so far. Back to it tomorrow...

Rattler, maybe a bit obvious but are all the other rear lights working ok ( just the brake lights not ) if so perhaps start at the beginning, have you checked if the brake light switch ( that the brake pedal opens when you put your foot on the brakes ) hasn't become stuck/damaged ?

Cheers yorkiesteve,

I have checked all from the pedal back to the rear: taillights/indicators work, switch tested for continuity and is working as expected. I put 12V direct from the battery to the feed from the switch and the brakelights do work.

Trying to work out what is happening has got me really baffled. Following the wire from the pedal switch back to the fusebox, it attaches to an empty fuse slot! I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in the beginning, so how an open circuit can power the lights is one for the experts. Even with a fuse in it, they still don't work as there is no voltage on the other side. Following that supply wire I find it goes to the horn connector. Hmmm. I now have half the dash out and still can't understand what's going on. The Haynes manual diagrams seem different to my '97 Vibe.:confused:

Although the replacement central locking mechanism won't arrive till next week I decided for 5th time in 3 weeks to strip the drivers side door to stop the annoying rattling noise of my torch I left in the door! Whilst getting the torch out I decided to remove the central locking mechanism and strip it down again and as suggested by agent_Sm1th I checked and cleaned all the servo motor contacts. Whilst putting it back together I noticed a rusty loose small spring in the actual striker mechanism so I decided to fiddle with it and it popped out! :-S Immediately I thought OMG I will never get that back in because the striker mechanism is riveted together! WTF I decided to refit the central locking mechanism back into the door but I couldn't get the door to close the lock striker wouldn't retract and locate on the metal loop! So I started stripping out the mechanism for the 6th time when I noticed I forgot to connect the outside door handle connecting rod to the mechanism! Put everything back and it closed, so decided my luck had to change so I put everything think back including the door card and fittings and everything worked even the central locking even banged the door shut a few times and it wouldn't lock me out lol! The trouble is I just paid for the replacement central locking mechanism today but on the bright side I will have a spare and now I can stripped down my drivers door and central locking system blindfolded and in under 4 minutes lol! B-) The bloody torch! :-S
1464463489144.jpg
1464463569383.jpg
1464463588283.jpg

Although the replacement central locking mechanism won't arrive till next week I decided for 5th time in 3 weeks to strip the drivers side door to stop the annoying rattling noise of my torch I left in the door! Whilst getting the torch out I decided to remove the central locking mechanism and strip it down again and as suggested by agent_Sm1th I checked and cleaned all the servo motor contacts. Whilst putting it back together I noticed a rusty loose small spring in the actual striker mechanism so I decided to fiddle with it and it popped out! :-S Immediately I thought OMG I will never get that back in because the striker mechanism is riveted together! WTF I decided to refit the central locking mechanism back into the door but I couldn't get the door to close the lock striker wouldn't retract and locate on the metal loop! So I started stripping out the mechanism for the 6th time when I noticed I forgot to connect the outside door handle connecting rod to the mechanism! Put everything back and it closed, so decided my luck had to change so I put everything think back including the door card and fittings and everything worked even the central locking even banged the door shut a few times and it wouldn't lock me out lol! The trouble is I just paid for the replacement central locking mechanism today but on the bright side I will have a spare and now I can stripped down my drivers door and central locking system blindfolded and in under 4 minutes lol! B-) The bloody torch! :-S View attachment 49235View attachment 49236View attachment 49237
All of that......and you never said you took the torch out - you did/didn't you (?) LOL

Welded up my sill and number plate hole as well as makeing a very nice shifter extender if i do say so myself just need a beer tap for the top and an mot now xD

Attachments

• 13282103_267782550238607_18831606_n.jpg
    13282103_267782550238607_18831606_n.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 13329848_267782556905273_1005092760_n.jpg
    13329848_267782556905273_1005092760_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 13330303_267782566905272_1230995986_n.jpg
    13330303_267782566905272_1230995986_n.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 193
Back