what did you do to your micra today ?

tis neil (is this the same neil who,s trying to turbo quad carbs ? :p ) my intention is for electric drive (boost on demand), so i need to source a 2 or 3hp 12v motor, this is more of a tinkering exercise :) hence the quickfit square stump mounting (for 1/4 mile/trackdays maybe)
the little T15 was great as a daily setup, but the turbine choke really restricts the exhaust (it drops to the size of my little finger !) but i reckon an electric centrifugal one could give that same lowdown kick for daily driving, but without the restrictive (and other) side effects

Washing machine motor would probably do.

Could you not make the supercharger spin faster by changing the sizes of the wheels?

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
What about electric wheelchair motors? They 12v, hi torque, so could be geared right
i,ve got some of those neil, they,re only about 500w tho
Washing machine motor would probably do.

Could you not make the supercharger spin faster by changing the sizes of the wheels?
12v washing machine george ?, and yes i need to machine the top pulley to a smaller dia (when i can borrow a lathe, next week)

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Am I missing something here? Surely if you use 3hp (~2,250w) of engine power to drive the supercharger motor, it will never be able to contribute more than 3hp back to the engine - basic physics? I think the 'standard' supercharger idea but with a smaller upper pulley is the better idea :).

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
Am I missing something here? Surely if you use 3hp (~2,250w) of engine power to drive the supercharger motor, it will never be able to contribute more than 3hp back to the engine - basic physics? I think the 'standard' supercharger idea but with a smaller upper pulley is the better idea :).
that 3hp is,nt driving the wheels tho eh guy, like your turbo is,nt driving your wheels :)

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
Maybe the 12v shunt motors that power the compressors on some articulated trucks
trucks are usually 24v eh neil, let me get it working properly mechanically first, it only registered 2psi, as it was only spinning @ 40k, (which is hardly onto the compressor map eh) i need to get it up to double that, then if that skinny 4pk pollyvee belt is,nt slipping its gonna be do-able imo :)

td05-14g.gif

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
No but your asking the supercharger to contribute power to the engine, it won't be able to contribute more than it uses ie 3hp, that's basic physics surely?

pork

Club Member
trucks are usually 24v eh neil, let me get it working properly mechanically first, it only registered 2psi, as it was only spinning @ 40k, (which is hardly onto the compressor map eh) i need to get it up to double that, then if that skinny 4pk pollyvee belt is,nt slipping its gonna be do-able imo :)

View attachment 21518

Well if anyone can get it working, it's gunna be you. :D

You've got me wanting something like this, your a
Terrible influence,
I've got access to loads of screw type compressor pumps, which I'm trying to figure out how to bolt on hahaha!

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
Well if anyone can get it working, it's gunna be you. :D

You've got me wanting something like this, your a
Terrible influence,
I've got access to loads of screw type compressor pumps, which I'm trying to figure out how to bolt on hahaha!

i.ll try mate :) i think positive displacement s/c,s are a different ballgame tho

No but your asking the supercharger to contribute power to the engine, it won't be able to contribute more than it uses ie 3hp, that's basic physics surely?
the extra power (and cost) comes from the extra fuel you have to shove in tho aint it guy, the s/c is simply cramming more air/oxygen in :)

the 3 hp it uses pushes more air into the engine, compressed to hold the extra energy the 3 hp gave it, but when you combine that with extra fuel it gives a significantly bigger bang and overcomes the 3hp base loss.
If superchargers only put back what they got out nobody would use them... :p

MicrAde said:
Did some cleaning and reassembly while waiting for head bolts. They have now come so hopefully have car back up and running at the weekend....fingers tightly crossed :rolleyes:

Is your car ok now? I hope you will sort it :)

The rears are full coilovers i have corsa bs on the front and the rears are nearly i direct fit

Well thats making life easier i guess, what i meant was about the top strut mount though, if its strut and spring all in one then the full weight of the car sits on that mount instead of where it used to in the spring cup... Have you checked its gonna hold up? If it does ok i might have to get some myself and save me arsing around with the standard set up!

Well thats making life easier i guess, what i meant was about the top strut mount though, if its strut and spring all in one then the full weight of the car sits on that mount instead of where it used to in the spring cup... Have you checked its gonna hold up? If it does ok i might have to get some myself and save me arsing around with the standard set up!

E1C4FA4A-5001-49D3-9252-5F83ED674A73-2919-00000469D09B7809.jpg

I placed these washers under the top mounts to spread the weight better

First of all a belated Merry Christmas to you all...been busy:rolleyes: Update on my head gasket replacement, finally got everything back together, not easy when your 'workshop' is a busy road and it wont stop raining!! Anyway, car fired straight up, ran beautifully but was smoking like a t##t!. Christmas morning was spent laying in the road, piss wet through, unfortunately not from a good night on the ale but because I was doing an oil and filter change, coolant change and fitting a new exhaust hanger. Upon firing car up again it was still smoking, though not as much, so I hoped it was just residual coolant in the oilways burning off. Taken it for a good blast today and happy to report that its running well and no longer smoking :D
Also happened to have this lying around in a cupboard so thought it a shame to waste it
IMAG0149_zps70bda1bf.jpg

Will continue to moniter oil/coolant situation for a good while but looking good so far :)

skymera

Brutal Honesty
First of all a belated Merry Christmas to you all...been busy:rolleyes: Update on my head gasket replacement, finally got everything back together, not easy when your 'workshop' is a busy road and it wont stop raining!! Anyway, car fired straight up, ran beautifully but was smoking like a t##t!. Christmas morning was spent laying in the road, piss wet through, unfortunately not from a good night on the ale but because I was doing an oil and filter change, coolant change and fitting a new exhaust hanger. Upon firing car up again it was still smoking, though not as much, so I hoped it was just residual coolant in the oilways burning off. Taken it for a good blast today and happy to report that its running well and no longer smoking :D
Also happened to have this lying around in a cupboard so thought it a shame to waste it

Will continue to moniter oil/coolant situation for a good while but looking good so far :)

Good luck ;)

pork

Club Member
IMAG0149_zps70bda1bf.jpg

Good to hear mate! Well done

My advice ... Don't throttle the #### out of it... Give her some time to settle in. Well done mate

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks SirChris :) When I said I'd taken it for a blast I meant a 60mph run on local bypass rather than the local pootling I normally do. Defo gonna be taking it easy for a while :)

L.Williams

soundcloud.com/lwilliamsmusic
purchased some nice FLI 180w speakers today, came with 2 nice window stickers too, thinking of fitting them to the parcel shelf instead of replacing my door speakers

Well, have beaten out and straightened the front panel after the previous owners bodged repair, headlamp now fits correctlyas does the front wing and bonnet!
Replaced head unit with an old JVC we had lying around........thanks to the wiring details found on here!
Sorted the innop rear washer........broken wire and blocked hoses!
Beat out the rear slam panel, car had obviously reversed into something more hefty than first thought, new bumper and tailgate on route to sort that lot out.
Fixed the dropped door problem.....again thanks to threads from here.....lump of wood did the trick thanks
Full valet inside and out, amazed at the state of the water from the seats, but now can see the original colour!

Am sure there were more things..................................def are more to come though!

Wdid?
Well yesterday really... drove from selsey (south coast) to york :) good drive with the 80s electro tunes i got for christmas :p
Only issue... after a few days parked up in selsey the car too an AGE to start like there was no spark or something... once started its running perfect again and starts fine! Its only ever done it when parked in that spot for over 2 days, maybe the salty air corroded some of the surface connections? so after starting the surface is clean and sparks fine again maybe? Anyone else had similar issues?