what did you do to your micra today ?

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
How's that work then?

Does ecu go into cold start mode or something?

Wish id known before cose I could have tried at the rollers as mine was also getting seriously lean :(

Have you thought about small superchargers?

yes, coldstart kev, you get a mad richspot the second you hit the gas tho eh (it hesitates for a sec then its ok) so it needs to be switched in @ WOT really, and only in 4th and 5th gear on a 1.3 and 3rd, 4th and 5th on a 1.0 it seeems.
and a S/C would bust my $100 budget lol :)

How long until results frank?

dunno, but the mani and downpipe are 90% done lol :grinning:

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Btw iirc 1.6 injectors and no lambda (probs includes cold start?) = 9's or 10's AFR (when not controlled/compensated by piggyback etc).

So theres bound to be some middle ground you can reach. :)

That controller, while not within your as little extra fiddling as possible policy...would/should be pretty easy to use. :D

nothing much...

micraoutline3.png

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
would be nice to see definitely.... have you got a spare high comp 1.3 laying around?

i have 2, but they have the damn coilpack 1.0 pistons :doh:
the slipper type with skinny ringlands (ideal for N/A, but no good for boostin :suspect:)
i,ve got my name on a mint auto 1.3 in the yard i use

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
looking good frank. you fabrication skills are legendary! what kinda turbo is it? some turbo diesel? I really wanna turbo mine now. something simple and low boost.

it looks ok from a distance george lol :grinning: and its a T15 from an astra 1.7TD mate (garrett rate it for a 1.0 to 1.6 engine iirc)
there,s loads of clearance between the alt and rad eh, and it mates up to my oversize downpipe (and fits straight a stock downpipe too)

Attachments

• SDC13121.JPG
    SDC13121.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 551
OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
So you will mate this to a 1.0 gearbox? Will the clutch take the torque?

i think thats gonna depend on how much boost i run tbh airmike, this hybrid clutch is nowhere near slipping atm, and i guess it,ll handle a torque gain of around +25% (and the plate is very old)
so i,ll have to suck it and see

Im thinking of having a clutch plate made when i change to a 1.0 gbox. It's a carbon plate and costs around 100€ to make. I know of someone with a nissan s14 running 380hp with a stock clutch and their carbon plate. Should be good for around 130hp on the 1.0 plate imho...

IMG_1377.jpg

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
Inspiring work Frank :D im waiting to get a 1.3 come into work so i can nab the engine and build it up in my shed when i get a spare 10 mins now and then :D allready managed to get a copy of a good book on pdf for light reading in work ;D

boost.jpg

Your gonna be busy frank before Xmas with everyone having a Christmas list full of stuff you make and no doubt if this works out people will be after it for a "turbo kit" lol!

Good luck mate can't wait to see more progress :) maybe have a separate thread for the turbo build as it will be a cheap option that so many people always join and 1st question is how to turbo cheap etc! Save you answering a million more "ask frank" questions lol

Pepper

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
booked her in for a dyno run :grinning:
http://www.r-techpower.co.uk/

109hp @ the fly and 96hp @ the wheels (Y) (95lbft iirc, i,ll post the graphs when they email them to me)
4 consistent runs, took about an hour :eek: headphones connected to a mic attached to the cylinder head to listen for pinking, handheld meter connected to a wideband up the tailpipe (12.5:1 a/f/r FTW (Y))

109hp @ the fly and 96hp @ the wheels (Y) (95lbft iirc, i,ll post the graphs when they email them to me)
4 consistent runs, took about an hour :eek: headphones connected to a mic attached to the cylinder head to listen for pinking, handheld meter connected to a wideband up the tailpipe (12.5:1 a/f/r FTW (Y))

Baller! That's a nice figure (Y)

What bits have you got fitted that I haven't?

Cams
Hi comp
Extra capacity

Did you have adjustable fuel reg?
Did you have the cts bipass button engaged?

Do you think its possible to hit close to 120hp without a remap? I was planning on making a more calculated exhaust manifold and a proper plenum inlet. I was also gonna DIY port and polish with 3 angle valves/seats!

Can also make adjustable cam pulleys ect

Cams
Hi comp
Extra capacity

Do you think its possible to hit close to 120hp without a remap? I was planning on making a more calculated exhaust manifold and a proper plenum inlet. I was also gonna DIY port and polish with 3 angle valves/seats!

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member

Cams
Hi comp
Extra capacity

yes kev, cams comp and 36cc lol.
when he floored it the mixture was in closed loop, then @ about 4 or 5k the a/f/r shot down to 12.4 something and held at that till the limiter, you could see the wavy powercurve like in the 2 runs on that previous printout, then it stopped going wavy, and you could see and smell the black smoke appear about 1/2 way through the run each time
this was with no c/t/s mods and stock fuel pressure :eek:
and i rate the stock inlet mani personally kev, and i reckon that with a 4-2-1 exhaust mani and the limiter raised, 120hp no probs :grinning:
and my cams are already adjusted/dialed in eh

Cool that's good to know, mine is abit lean and there is more to gain just with a regulator :)

I already have the limiter removed :D do you think that map runs our at high revs? I wonder how far up the maps go?

Maybe its worth playing with spacer block between inlet and tb too see if any gains can be had! Could also POP a nice trumpet on top of the maf.

Maybe I should just fit a turbo :D

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
Maybe I should just fit a turbo :D

yes lol :p
good point kev, i think the maps do run out @ about 4 or 5k then supposed to interpolate after that or something :eek:
and the dyno owner was showing me his youtube clips of running against a red 2.0 micra at the pod :grinning: (yes you mov :p, a black golf 1.8+T running 12.? secs)

Haha sweet :D

I think ill finish the hi comp cg13 and do a decent job on it. Then POP the Cg13 pistons into a cg10 and build a low comp turbo setup, I have a shiz ton of useful parts and I also have a megasquirt somewhere, could have a play with that :D also my MAN clutch is working well :D

Have you ever considered megasquirt?

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
ahh, nice one on the clutch kev :cool:
and the mapping stuff is way over my head tbh, i have a VAFC here but i doubt if i will use it, i think the stock ecu is damn clever personally and very underated, i daresay nissan invested millions developing them, and i dont buy that you have to bin it and run a standalone just because of a few performance mods fwn

Yeah I agree that stock ecu's are serious pieces of kit but it all depends on if the ecu and maf can decifer the boost. If the maps only go upto atmospheric pressure 100kpa it'll struggle to work with boost, I imagine there will be some leeway due to different elevations having different atmosphere pressures. Also I doubt the engines make 100% VE so a small amount of boost may work :)

Maybe switch to cg13 ecu for less ignition :)

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
a proper rising rate f/p/r should sort the fuelling imo kev, a 4:1 ratio one for instance that increases the fuel pressure 4 times more than the boost you,re running (ie, a base pressure of 30 psi, and 58 psi @ 1/2 a bar of boost)
and yes i could do with less total spark advance, i retarded it about 10 deg today for the dyno runs to get a higher figure, but its made it quite laggy on the road, with a mad surge at 1/2 revs lol

I look forward to seeing some results mate, will be very interesting (Y)

I just looked at my printouts from the webers and the injection. Interesting!.

Twin dcnf
98.0hp @ 6420rpm
86.7ftlb @ 5365rpm

Sr20tb, Cga3 inlet, qg injectors
98.1hp @ 6560rpm
87.1ftlb@4675rpm

Peak HP is higher up on injection and peak torque is lower. Looking forward to comparing figures with your long stroker! You should have lower rpm @ peak torque.

superls

K10 Tuner
nice work frank, keeping my eye on this turbo build, my k11 is coming off the road in a couple of weeks till at least after x-mas, so brains working lol

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
ahh, nice one on the clutch kev :cool:
and the mapping stuff is way over my head tbh, i have a VAFC here but i doubt if i will use it, i think the stock ecu is damn clever personally and very underated, i daresay nissan invested millions developing them, and i dont buy that you have to bin it and run a standalone just because of a few performance mods fwn

Interesting endeavor Frank, looking forward to seeing what you can crank out. It does however seem to suggest I may have to find another ruddy mug to blast out a good time at POD. If I have to run solo again I am gonna be pretty disappointed in the N/A stakes :( booo-hooo!

I don't know of anyone on here binning the standard ecu for those reasons though. Myself (Omex), Paul Smith (Omex) and chickenwahoo (Emerald) have them because we need Alpha-N. Anyone here running Nistune is still technically using the standard ECU in a way. Although it's on an auxiliary chip, it's still the same EMS system :)

OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
aye, loads of tinkering to do over crimbo eh :)
we,ve just aquired another engine lol (we,re sponsered by tamworth engines now :wasntme:) a bit of an oddball one :eek: CG13 but with a coilpack head ?? and a humdinger crank pulley to run a big LPG fridge compressor

Attachments

• SDC13127.JPG
    SDC13127.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 432
OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
Damn, strange engine... :eek:

tiz armando, purpose built for LPG i guess, from the partsbin lol :grinning:
high compression, reduced lift 1.3 inletcam look :eek: they,ve ground 2mm off the lobes to make it a 222deg/6mm lift (i did the same on our kiddykart cams a while back, same lowdown power but wont rev), and a 196deg/6mm lift stock 1.0 exh cam.
custom crank sensor, custom flywheel, all the crankcase breathers blocked off, dry sumped, thermosyphon cooling system,custom big oil filter with a big stand-off bracket,

Attachments

• SDC13130.JPG
    SDC13130.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 387
OP
OP
frank

frank

Club Member
any of the custom bits worth using or are they scrap?

dunno karl, the crank sensor might be useful for anyone wanting to run a standalone ecu i suppose :)
i guess there was a production run of these for the apparently many LPG forklifts that had CG engines fitted

Attachments

• SDC13137.JPG
    SDC13137.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 374
Hmm, today i covered my car in mud and then wished i had time to clean it. Looked at sourcing some matiz springs and corsa shocks to lower it, then realised i dont know how to fit them anyway! Hopeful drop of about 40mm (thanks frank for that) but what do i need to do to the rear to make it work?

Yeah, i havent actually declared mine yet, still not sure if i might sell them and get something like those you linked, more likely to get a 15" set though, ran 195/45/15 for a while with some other alloys and the grip was incredible!

PS how do you put in just images not links? Wanted to upload a pic from my HDD but dont know how?