what did you do to your micra today ?

I was looking at sr20 rads.. Seems a good upgrade.

Opted for a starlet rad, as it offered the most flexibility for me with respect to size, current placement of kit + scope for future changes.

The other major is the hose placements are very close to the OEM K11 radiator layout.

Opted for a starlet rad, as it offered the most flexibility for me with respect to size, current placement of kit + scope for future changes.

The other major is the hose placements are very close to the OEM K11 radiator layout.
This for turbo or na build. I suppose yeah, starlets are double core as standard no? No they not if I remember correctly. Guessing aftermarket rad?

I'm using a thick standard automatic k11 rad made by Nissen model 629871, it's 26mm thick and handles my 160bhp 10psi on a hot trackday all day no probs

dsc09570-jpg.35611
dsc05701-jpg.27916

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-44#post-502988

This for turbo or na build. I suppose yeah, starlets are double core as standard no? No they not if I remember correctly. Guessing aftermarket rad?

NA car is fine, that's got a monster rad on it already. It's for turbo and to improve upon current cooling capacity. At some point I plan to fit an oil cooler and will opt for oil/water opposed to oil/air due to packaging constraints.

I also want more space to provide room for IC piping runs to either side of the radiator to allow a better pipework route for a planned future intake upgrade over the stock item.

I'm using a thick standard automatic k11 rad made by Nissen model 629871, it's 26mm thick and handles my 160bhp 10psi on a hot trackday all day no probs

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-44#post-502988

The current core on the car is a minor upgrade from that Paul. It's standard headers with a 32mm Cu core. I have a fully alloy version but it's far too thick and would foul on the turbo manifold. The current one is too close already at ~5mm clearance plus having to cut out part of the fan cowling in order to fit it.

It'll also work well with the expansion tank relocation to allow the 100mm air feed to come in from the NSF wheel arch area :)

Ah right, that's preeeeety tight ;)

You can't really see it here but the below shot illustrates how tight things were built...

dsc_0060-jpg.11974

Jesus... That's tight. What oil temps do you hit with some good turbo use... I hit around 90-110c I don't know if that would even warrant an oil cooler. Would cooler oil risk lack of lubrication? Would you consider moving rad further to the front? Cutting in slightly to the bumper?

Jesus... That's tight. What oil temps do you hit with some good turbo use... I hit around 90-110c I don't know if that would even warrant an oil cooler. Would cooler oil risk lack of lubrication? Would you consider moving rad further to the front? Cutting in slightly to the bumper?

Yes, that's one of the other motivations for the upgrade. The new rad will be mounted further forward but it'll be behind the IC, so no need to touch the bumper. Another benefit of the Starlet rads is they're shorter, so can be mounted further forward without clashing with the facelift bonnet, horns etc.

No idea on oil temps as it's not instrumented. I watch oil pressure. The car isn't subject to WOT for very long. I don't find it possible to hold WOT for that long with that amount of torque at my disposal. I'm still fitting a cooler with stat in for track use...

90-110C is fine and fairly typical in my opinion. Gulf-Oil and Millers for example are fine up to 125C providing oil pressure is in check.

Just my 2 cents
I now have a 60mm alloy rad, not yet competition tested but a 1.6 primera radiator handled the cooling well on an auto test on what was a very hot day without hard driving
@pollyp will remember the heat from that day
The plastic radiator fatigued and cracked for whatever reason, that's my reasoning for having an alloy one :)
It's from a Honda civic incase anyone wondered and the hose locations aren't bad either :)

I've also stuck an oil stat in my oil cooler lines, not sure what temp it opens at, but I'll see if it says anything

Signed the logbook for my third micra :)
Hopefully get my insurance sorted by the end of the week.
And I'll be once again tipping around dublin in the little micky.
Few plans for it.
Lows
Grill
Wheels
De-bump guarded
And a touch up of the paint work.
Gonna embrace the shabbyness of this one tho..

Took her out for a blast, after bleeding the cooling system, and found a mile long section of fresh gravel road on the building site near us open.... would have been rude not to 'check' it ;) Had great fun.

Also found thrashing around in a rally car is better than pain killers at distracting you from the pain of wisdom tooth removal.... :)

Took her out for a blast, after bleeding the cooling system, and found a mile long section of fresh gravel road on the building site near us open.... would have been rude not to 'check' it ;) Had great fun.

Also found thrashing around in a rally car is better than pain killers at distracting you from the pain of wisdom tooth removal.... :)
You had them out yet? I am due to have 4 out at once. What's the pain like

re-tinted my fog lights and indicators, still need new plastic cover to cover my dials, went to the scrapyard and the pre face i got my headlights from had literally just had its whole front end crushed and sat ontop of the pile to be boxed :'(

You had them out yet? I am due to have 4 out at once. What's the pain like
No pain in modern dentistry. Just lost an eye tooth (accidental head-butt) cut out all the way with a scalpel....just like reading a book...simple. The modern injection is amazingly effective, nothing like the old slug of whiskey [!]

No pain in modern dentistry. Just lost an eye tooth (accidental head-butt) cut out all the way with a scalpel....just like reading a book...simple. The modern injection is amazingly effective, nothing like the old slug of whiskey [!]
Hmm fair enough. Had 6-7 root canals this year and silly fillings... Never looked after my teeth..silly boy. Wisdom teeth is scaring me, but I suppose it relatively pain free... Its not like I would be awake when removing them I suppose.

Hmm fair enough. Had 6-7 root canals this year and silly fillings... Never looked after my teeth..silly boy. Wisdom teeth is scaring me, but I suppose it relatively pain free... Its not like I would be awake when removing them I suppose.
Route Kanal.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Went and done a nav scatter event just north of Brecon, finished 5th and not a scratch on the car haha! Not bad for a crew with average age of 16 ;-)
Even @Fujiwara_Ben finished in one piece! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly mine hurt like hell coming out and I am still sore now a week later.... For some reason evenings are worse, Tues and Weds evening were the worse so far.....

pulled whats left of the heat wrap over where its blowing again, partly cleaned her but no polish so not as shiney as i like it :(, and plastic and frame met tarmac alot and my mate videod it....

few years ago I had my upper wisdom teeth removed from either too much rot near the gum line (tis hard to reach back there) or the crown had actually broken off.

they stuck needle deep into the root to numb the area (that was the only worse part tbh but just closed eyes n focus mind away from the sharp deep jab), few mins later tis wierd having a numb side to ur face n drooling about lol.

then they just grab with pliers and eeww the god awful sound of twisting crunching sound to break the wisdom teeth out and pop thats it, zero feeling, told to bite down on this bandage piece for few hours till the wound has clotted over.

no hard food for afew weeks till the area has completely healed over.

now the time when my upper wisdom teeth decided to get out n asked the other teeths to shuffle along, THAT was the most agonising painful crippling thing ever.
just endless intense sharp pain with headache that lasted whole evening, could feel the pain pulsing with heartbeat and the wisdom forcing all the upper teeths along. just awful.

Booked in to have my fog-lights fitted properly...and wired up. Also, oil and filter change (every 5k) plus fit new throttle position sensor, still got a huge flat spot on acceleration. If that doesn't fix it then change the maf sensor next....we'll see.

Went to test the rally car today. Recently had the LSD set up for tarmac as apposed to the gravel setup it was supplied with. Also had 1st and 2nd gear and dogs replaced thanks to Matt Humphries. Loads better to drive but unfortunately overheating again, pretty badly too. New water pump and radiator ordered, changed the thermostat a few weeks ago.
Also check out me splitter:p
10721459_10152566127769961_1859789880_n.jpg

Fair shout mate, I've been there and done that. Driven, owned, been in most things from Lambo's to Rollers, to mini's and lots of jaguars. Had big, big motors all my life, not now, these things we drive are gob smackingly good, especially the 1.4s.
I may one day buy a Bentley turbo, but more likely a supercharged jag, one last fling as they say. But at the moment I cannot get past these little buggers, they're brilliant......HELP !!!!!!!!

Went to test the rally car today. Recently had the LSD set up for tarmac as apposed to the gravel setup it was supplied with. Also had 1st and 2nd gear and dogs replaced thanks to Matt Humphries. Loads better to drive but unfortunately overheating again, pretty badly too. New water pump and radiator ordered, changed the thermostat a few weeks ago.
Also check out me splitter:p
10721459_10152566127769961_1859789880_n.jpg
Ah so its you who had that's setup. I heard it had two worn gears. Pants. You cant know these things though.

Back