What car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
Right i have been thinking about a new car for a while...dont worry i will keep the micra too :D

Basically i want something new-ish... with air con..and nice things like that :)
Want a hothatch...something sporty..but i am only 18..so cant be crazy fast because i wont get insured :(

Was thinkin about a Focus St.. or a Zetec s... Corsa VXR is out of the question..wont get insured... has anyone got any good sensible suggestions?

Cheers guys and gals

Robb

Site Supporter
Thinkin about a Focus ST at 18?! :) how much do you have to spend on the car and insurance?

Almera GTI?

OP
OP
GuyH08

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
Well i was gonna get the car on finance :) seen one for £8,000 ...
And insurance...well i can afford it... parents will pay it and i will pay then back monthly :)

Robb

Site Supporter
Cool cool. When i were younger i wanted all sorts based on 0-60 times etc. without giving much thought to what i would actaully be living with everyday. I even consdiered certain french cars lol. Now im wiser my next car will either be jap or an Alfa or a volvo lol.

Id consider a particular marques first, but thats cos i aint got any better advice lol.

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
Ford Sport KA SE,

my mate has one,

very comfortable, all the mod cons and it shifts too

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
i dunno,

space the rear wheels out, lower it,

centre exit exhaust....

pretty good looking i think, much better than a standard KA,

i'm biased lol i love them.

OP
OP
GuyH08

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
i dunno,

space the rear wheels out, lower it,

centre exit exhaust....

pretty good looking i think, much better than a standard KA,

i'm biased lol i love them.

I know what you mean actually...could look prety special..

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
i know lol

i've seen one just like it,

but if you have £8000 look at classic impreza's?

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
no worse than the quotes i got for a Primera GT or almera GTi...

and if you have that much, you can afford it :p

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
I'm sure you can be insured for most of the hot hatches if you said you could afford it. What's your budget on insurance? it is wise to pick something that you can live with on a day to day basis and it doesn't get you killed. There's also running and maintainence cost and reliability issues you should be considering.

I bought my honda civic type r for £7800 which is within your budget. hehe

Ian

Ex. Club Member
I wouldnt bother with a civic. I'd rather go for a fresh imported integra. For under 6 grand you'll get a super clean DC2 '96 spec. Or a 200sx, they are fun cars, get a nice one for 4k.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
I wouldnt bother with a civic. I'd rather go for a fresh imported integra. For under 6 grand you'll get a super clean DC2 '96 spec. Or a 200sx, they are fun cars, get a nice one for 4k.

It is a good car that, but the insurance on an import won't be kind.

Alexx117

STI
Club Member
Dont get a 200sx i want one :p but you have to consider fuel cost maintenance and whether its good enough for an everyday car unless you decide to use the micra as the everyday car? As for a hot hatchback hmm.. why not a c2 vtr? or c4 vtr even though theyre french theyre good cars, or maybe a golf gti? audi a3? mazda 3? just a few modern ones i can think of

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
my bad lol i spell phonetically (sp)

it would be expensive but o worse than some of the other cars mentioned above, ie 200sx or itegera's..

MR2?

Alexx117

STI
Club Member
believe it or not mate but its wierd how insurance works its based on claims from people similar to you, for me the 200sx is 1900 to insure and the glanza is 3000 thats the cheapest lol

Alexx117

STI
Club Member
i know its so stupid its because little chavvy boy racers get there hands on a beautiful glanza and rap it around another car/tree or something else (and arnold your case is different :p) so if you can just go for a car thats not so popular for young people/chavs and it show be cheaper to insure.

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
hmmmm thats sucks,

i wonder if it would be worth looking at something like the 200sx or it might be unpopular but something like a newer mini cooper on finance...

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Just get a mk3 golf gti, you can pick them up cheap enough so that'll make up for the insurance. They shift nicely and if you get one that hasn't been fiddled with they're reliable. Insurance companies are fickle anyway, i got quoted nearly £3k to insure my 1L micra from one company (not sure if i'm allowed to mention names so i won't) and just under £1k from another. Just take time to shop round and insurance isn't a problem.

OP
OP
GuyH08

GuyH08

Ex. Club Member
Hmm did think about a glanza...my mate has one and its lovely!
I could only afford up to £8,500 ish on finance... lol i dont have stacks of money saved up :(
Dont really wanna pay any more than £2,500 a year on insurance...

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
i'll say it again lol

Classic impreza WRX,

that'll be quick enough to scare you ####less first time you drive it!

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Dont get a 200sx i want one :p but you have to consider fuel cost maintenance and whether its good enough for an everyday car unless you decide to use the micra as the everyday car? As for a hot hatchback hmm.. why not a c2 vtr? or c4 vtr even though theyre french theyre good cars, or maybe a golf gti? audi a3? mazda 3? just a few modern ones i can think of

don't get a c2 vtr. the ecu's #### themselves and cost over a grand to fix...and they're french...

Get a Micra 160SR...and insurance wise, you will get mullered. I paid £1100 at 20 with 1 years NCB on my 160sr...group 9...you get an ST and you'll be paying about £3k at least on insurance. And paying your parents back monthly? WHy don't you just pay the insurance monthly? Because after 1 years ull have to reinsure and if the debt isnt cleared with the parents, pay them and insurance! :p

Your 18...i would personally say..You wont be able to drive effectively enough to own such a high powered car so should definatly build up slowly! If you want to test your skills get yourself a Rover 200 VI/BRM or 25 GTI...1.8VVC engine does 0-60 in about 7secs and you can pick one up for pennies, so if you get a bit too enthusiastic and run out of talent and road it won't cost you too much :)

Just a thought....ALSO..don't get finance its awful, get yourself a personal loan!

I think the question is how well do you get on with the oldies fwn

maybe there could be an alterior motive to setting you 8k deep in their pockets.
it will take years to pay them off :( you can never say no to them ever again! :eek:

what if you get a bird and want to splash a bit they will be on you 24/7 :(

Mine were terrible for that stuff so its worth thinking about.

^^Agreed! all seems good now, things change. I got the 160SR then 2 months later we found out my GF was pregnant and couldn't afford the finance, house and baby all at once so its worth thinking...do you need such a debt over your head

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
Whats your experience?

Dont forget this is a micra forum and i'm not a complete fan boy,

the Ka is a very quick little car that is great in the bends and pretty decent on both tax and insurance.

Whats your experience?

Dont forget this is a micra forum and i'm not a complete fan boy,

the Ka is a very quick little car that is great in the bends and pretty decent on both tax and insurance.

No experience.

Ka, my mate has one the engines are tappety bad imo (endura engine, not sure on sort Ka engines), girly? micras i know are old people related(ish) but id rather a micra than a Sort Ka etc.

Plus rot - most cars rot yes but he keeps it clean but it still fights through, corners of the doors around the petrol cap..

Vw polo?

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
306... dont laugh, but never had a problem with mine yet, its cheap, smooth, good looking, agile. and mines an estate ffs, i can only imagine how a hatch drives...

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
the ka sport has a durtech engine, isnt that different?

I believe it's the same as the Puma engine, that engine is so good caterham use it. Fords are ok, I've had a few and had no problems.

The zetec engines have chocolate headgaskets though so I'd stay away from them

Tom 1.0

Ex. Club Member
yeah its the same engine,

it is very good,

and its no older than the ones in our K11's lol

sorry frank :(

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
One of the last (2011) Saab 9-3 Sports wagons......2 litre petrol version will give you 220/30 bhp with a map... (SaabNoob)........See off most sports hatches with ease..........:cool:
4261e4a9ac429c0120e6a0671945a7c8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.