What brake pads to buy?

O

Omega

During MOT, I was told during that soon I should replace my brake pads.
My car is 02 reg 1.0 Vibe. What brake pads should I buy for my car? And on what should I pay attention to when I select the maker of the pads? Is it worth buying them from ebay? And do I need to buy anything except the brake pads to install at the same time? I think the car has ABS brakes, but not sure...
Thanks,

Bence_Fs

Wha Tank
If you use the car for fast road use then something along the lines of the EBC Greenstuff brake pads would be best suited as their capable of dealing with the high temperature.

If its just day to day travel your using it for then most motor factors will provide you with pads that do the job. the link below is for a set that i found on ebay

these would do the job aslong as your not out thrashing them on alot

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Micra-K11-Front-Brake-Pads-Pad-93-P837_W0QQitemZ180111331418QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10402QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Apec pads are very good, and can be fairly cheap from a motor factors :) There's no need to get stupidly expensive pads for day to day driving

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Greenstuff.............bleurgghhh!

Standard pads wise, I found Ferodos were a good road pad.

I use Endless CCX pads on my GTR, have always loved them.
Have no idea if they have them for the Micra though.
Project Mu B-Force Street Pads are a nice pad too.

But like Arnold said, probably an absolute waste of money on a daily driver! sorry! lol

OP
OP
O

Omega

I checked brake pads - they were ok! Why do they tell on services to replace them if they still had about 4mm of the pads?
Nevermind, at least I learnt how to replace them.
By the way, could anybody explain to me what is importance of shims? And anti-squeal brake grease -what is it for and how does it work? I wonder if I did something wrong - I stick metal covers of brake pads (I think this is what is called shims) to brake pads using glue - these metal covers were glued with something to the pads anyway.

butta

Kicked in the Member
the shims stop brake squeal and you should use copper grease between the pad and the shim and also the shim and caliper.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
black diamond predator pads have a nice "bite" to them... and never fade, (and not even on a track day either..)

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
^I concur

Otherwise Mintex is a decent brand and so are EBC as like for like replacements. Want more then both have premium and racing ranges.

Or why not just keep it standard with Nissan pads?

OP
OP
O

Omega

the shims stop brake squeal and you should use copper grease between the pad and the shim and also the shim and caliper.

So, it is not dangerous if I did not use it, right? But I may start hearing squeals in future. I guess I need grease now. Can I buy it in car parts shop?
Thanks,

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
So, it is not dangerous if I did not use it, right? But I may start hearing squeals in future. I guess I need grease now. Can I buy it in car parts shop?
Thanks,

Motor factors or anywhere car related should sell it really.