what are the best springs out of these...

NiteSite

Ex. Club Member
Just about to purchase some springs... was going to buy a whole suspension kit (but tthat's a bit OTT at the mo)

want to know which I should go for out of these brands...

Apex - £86.54
AVO - £79.31
Eibach - £152.04
GMax - £84.71
H&R Suspension - £116
Pi - £95
Spax - £85

I know Eibach are the most expensive so therefore should be the best... but out of the other brands there, which are the best? want decent handling but still some comfort for everyday driving.

Cheers

It depends on what you want from the springs, lowering or lowering and uprating, all the springs you mentioned are good, I've got KYB myself, but the 'best' there would be Eibach, they seem to be the ones everybody aspires to getting.

R

runaway-robot

Ive got eibach springs, and bilstein shocks... lowered 35mm gd for everyday driving. You can throw it into a corner and it golds it well. I would recomend these.

But if i wasnt using my car all the time, i would of probly gone for coilovers. I just hate speed bumps, thats y i went for the 35mm drop lol

B

Ben

there all the same! They all do exactly the same thing! If it was me i would save up for coiloverss if i had my time again

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
can i ask what coilovers are? my mate got qouted £400 for em n that was just the front i think, what they do n what resonable price?

B

Ben

they allow you to adjust the ride height of your car as and when you please, the more expensive ones allow you to do it without any tools etc btut majority need some sort of spanner etc...they are much more stable than springs and shocks and i think they have the spring built in or something.

Titch is the only current member with them on and he got them off Nicon who i remember paid a hefty price for em...they allow you to put your motor on its arse

OP
OP
N

NiteSite

Ex. Club Member
I had Spax on my last K11.. and a few people have recommended them so I'm gonna get another set of these I think, thankyoooooo :D

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
You have coilovers at the front, coilover is a system of fitting the springs where the coil is over the shock like at the front. However, a lot of people just use it as a term, when they're just adjustable.

And I have AVO

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Ive got weitec shocks and springs, not had any problems with them. The car seemed very stable afterwards, held on nicely into corners and i never found the cars limit...the ride is harder though, but then i stiffened it up even more shortly afterwards. :)

oh and they are a 35mm drop.

Ben said:
there all the same! They all do exactly the same thing! If it was me i would save up for coiloverss if i had my time again

He speaks the truth to a certain point.

You can't sit back and say that x brand is better than y brand.

You have to compare the spring rates. You have to find out what the spring's progressive (gets harder as it compresses) rate is.

You also then have to decide how you drive your car and what do you want out of springs.

THere gets a point where springs can be too hard too. I was looking at some G4 Coilovers for K11 the other day and i was shocked to see that they had a 7.5kg/mm spring rate!!!! :suspect: Definately for track use ONLY. On the road I cannot fathom how hard they would be... Mabye also ideal if you had an SR20 under the bonnet (the extra weight).

And as a general rule of thumb the lower you go, the harder your springs should be. You don't want springs which are soft enough to let the body bottom out on bumps in the road.

OP
OP
N

NiteSite

Ex. Club Member
I am buying a whole setup eventually :p this is just for the time being!

And I had -35mm Spax on my last K11 for a year with no probs :p

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
im on D2 coilovers the spring rates are definatly for tarmac track use only there stiff but id put mopney on my car being the best handeling in the club (on a track not gravelect) as would people who've been in it :p