Wet boot

Check the right side light assembly, take it off and look for evidence of a perished seal, check the rubber cable conduit between the tailgate and car, even the roof channel on that side

Thank you for your reply . I have removed the right hand light cluster and had a good look around the foam seal ,all seems ok . While I was in the area I had a good look around and saw a rust streak running down into the boot, I followed it to a gap in the welding , so filled it with silicone filler and at the same time put a blob on both the screw holes for the light cluster . It’s throwing it down today so see what happens.?

No it’s a gap between the boot lip and the rear quarter panel , under the hatch rubber seal the bottom right hand side .Anyway it’s been raining all day and so far it’s nice and dry. So I may have done something right ,time will tell .I have owned the car from new 2007 and it’s never failed to start or let me down .

No it’s a gap between the boot lip and the rear quarter panel , under the hatch rubber seal the bottom right hand side .Anyway it’s been raining all day and so far it’s nice and dry. So I may have done something right ,time will tell .I have owned the car from new 2007 and it’s never failed to start or let me down .

I see understood, great work!

just read this and i have the same rear passenger light seems to be water getting in as the left-hand side of the boot gets wet when raining is there a seal you can buy to go around this to cure?

first you need to diagnose the problem correctly.
remove the boot liner/carpet.
dry the panels completly.
sprinkler talc over all the panels.
close boot and spray with hose or wait for it to rain.
look for the streaks in the talc to figure out where the water is coming from.

if it's the rear cluster, it will need to be replaced with a new one as I don't beleive you can buy the seal seperatly.
as a temporary fix you cut buy a sheet of neoprene and cut a new gasket but it won't last forever.

thanks for the detailed reply

quote "if it's the rear cluster, it will need to be replaced with a new one as I don't believe you can buy the seal separately" didnt realise there was a seal on the back light unit (not at home at the minute so must check that out).

I felt the need to go and have a look, I have a few cars to look after and could have been confusing it with another. Glad I did. It's a neoprene seal, 5mm thick. Not attached to the cluster is easy enough to replace. Noidea if you can buy them, but you can cut your own without any real issues.

Attachments

• 20220729_124938.jpg
    14.8 MB · Views: 103
just getting back on this water leak in the boot! looking at the seal pictured! my seal is like a foam rectangle shape, i don't seem to have this part pictured.

does anyone have a rear light cluster seal as pictured?
thanks
john

Last edited:
I used silicon at the boot handle it was dripping in from here.
Thought about replacing these rear light seals but they were still keeping water out.

Back