Welding front crossmember

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Well when I was changing the oil a while back, on my back under the car trying not to get oil down my arm, I noticed lots of rust on the crossmember...so much in fact that I put my fingers through it. My bro-in-law is bringing a welder and some steel round next week to sort it, so, in advance of this i'd like to ask for any helpful hints, advice or pictures if poss.

Cheers, James.

Stani1029

Club Member
id recommend you replace it, its a much more effective way of getting rid of the rust and it only takes about 2-4 hours, that way youll never have to worry about it again!! :)

Manny

Ex. Club Member
yeah as stani said its better to replace them, they not expensive, members have been buying them. i got mine patched because it wasn't too bad and didn't have the time then. if youre going to patch it up take all the rust off completely and them put some underseal to give it a bit of protection.

id recommend you replace it, its a much more effective way of getting rid of the rust and it only takes about 2-4 hours, that way youll never have to worry about it again!! :)

I agree with stani. Replace the beggar and be done with it, cos a welder will blow holes in the rotten one: - been there, done that, only I replaced the complete front panel, due to the corrosion around the h/lamps

Hey James! Have a look at my blog, plenty of before and after pictures from when I changed my crossmember.
Plenty crossmember repair sections available on ebay.

OP
OP
Moschops

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Thanks for that fella, it makes it look a lot less scary than I thought. I've arranged with my bro-in-law to weld some plates in for me on saturday and as it's a BH I doubt i'll get a replacement through the post in time. If patches get it through the MOT then at some point i'll replace the whole piece. I'd love my own welder but times are hard :(

OP
OP
Moschops

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
After taking the bumper and everything off the front it turns out to be a lot worse than it seemed at first. It's more holes than steel! And the rad brackets and bolts are rusted to hell and so I need to replace these. So, I've got a new one ordered and hopefully it'll get welded in next weekend.

Was struggling to take the driver's headlight out...eventually the stud pulled out of the light, which I assume shouldn't happen, but I just could not work out how to free it from the green clip. :confused:

Thanks getawaycar, your blog is just what I need for this.

Many people take the headlights out to get the bumper off but I don't see the point. The time I spend scuffling about behind the washer bottle taking the 2 12mm nuts off is far less than the time you waste taking the headlights out.

On an older Micra you can almost guarantee the studs will break through the plastic on the headlamp. Then when you refit them you have to mess about re-aligning them!

Many people take the headlights out to get the bumper off but I don't see the point. The time I spend scuffling about behind the washer bottle taking the 2 12mm nuts off is far less than the time you waste taking the headlights out.

On an older Micra you can almost guarantee the studs will break through the plastic on the headlamp. Then when you refit them you have to mess about re-aligning them!

If its anything like my old micra (it had more holes in the x-member/front panel than swiss cheese), the whole lot needs stripped, and a new complete panel welded in. the whole front panel cost less than £40 inc VAT, but that was THREE years ago!!

Manny

Ex. Club Member
If its anything like my old micra (it had more holes in the x-member/front panel than swiss cheese), the whole lot needs stripped, and a new complete panel welded in. the whole front panel cost less than £40 inc VAT, but that was THREE years ago!!

they now £106 just checked on e-bay. :(

some are from £46 delivered

item 360153068888

Depends on where you try I suppose. At that time motor factor (1), fyfes was £55 +vat, Motor factor (2) Paints & Components was £32 +vat! ....didn't even bother with the unfriendly oafs at the local Nissan Stealers

OP
OP
Moschops

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I bought one 'the same' as getawaycars pictures and i'm hoping it'll be near enough to the original to weld it in and get it through the MOT. It'll either get sold or scrapped next year so not bothered about it lasting several years. In the last couple of weeks i've been close to just scrapping the bloody thing. It's been a great car for the last 5 years for an ebay special but it's showing it's age now and starting to want money spending on it (which I aint got).

The new crossmember panel was 23 quid inc. postage. As long as it touches in a few places it'll do. :laugh:

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
i love it when a plan comes togeth............... er better wait till the mot papers in hand before the celebrations start or the plan comes together
cant wait to hear the good news!!!!

OP
OP
Moschops

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Picked the car up after its MOT this morning and it passed! Hardly on the scale on the emissions and no advisories. Yay!
Might be a bit of life in the old girl yet :)

:k11yellow