Weird engine idle

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I last posted on this site. My car has been running great for the last 6 months or so but just recently in the last month I've been having issues with it.

When starting the car the idle is high which is normal as I understand and when its warm the idle sits at around 680-720 rpm, but when I've been out in the car around town and come to a stop the idle doesn't always sit at 680-720 rpm its got a habit of increasing the revs and idling at around 1000 plus rpm. This problem will go away if I press the accelerator and the engine is revved to about 3000-3500 rpm for a second or two, after doing that the idle returns to normal.

On a few occasions stopping at traffic lights if I have the brake pedal pressed the revs drop a little and the car sounds and feels like it wants to stall, it never does but these problems have got me baffled. I've changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs since this all started and the problem is still there.

My car is a 1.0L facelift 2002 Tempest, Any help or pointers as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I will give that a try and see if it helps. Would it be advisable to take off the throttle body and give that a good clean too?

Thanks for the advice, taking off the throttle body was a much easier job than I anticipated. The IACV was indeed sticky, the underside of the throttle body was in a word filthy. Although not half as bad as some pictures I have seen of throttle bodies.

Anyway cleaning it has seemed to improve things no end though I can't be certain until I've taken the car for a few runs.

Anybody have any thoughts about spark plugs? I've currently got ngk's in the car but I've heard bosch are better for the coil pack Micra.

I just use what's in the manual FR8DCX. Tbh I've never noticed any difference in a standard engine using different manufacturers sparkplugs. Everyone has a preference though. Glad your car is running better now.

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I last posted on this site. My car has been running great for the last 6 months or so but just recently in the last month I've been having issues with it.

When starting the car the idle is high which is normal as I understand and when its warm the idle sits at around 680-720 rpm, but when I've been out in the car around town and come to a stop the idle doesn't always sit at 680-720 rpm its got a habit of increasing the revs and idling at around 1000 plus rpm. This problem will go away if I press the accelerator and the engine is revved to about 3000-3500 rpm for a second or two, after doing that the idle returns to normal.

On a few occasions stopping at traffic lights if I have the brake pedal pressed the revs drop a little and the car sounds and feels like it wants to stall, it never does but these problems have got me baffled. I've changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs since this all started and the problem is still there.

My car is a 1.0L facelift 2002 Tempest, Any help or pointers as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

thgt to share, thou mine is K11 94 ....mech cleaned the throttle body ,not touching the gasket.......took distributr out and put a heavy duty sealant...thts all...idle is perfect now .......only stuckup i have is temp gauge stays all way dwon to dead end...

Update:

After removing the throttle body and giving it a good clean my car was a lot better but I still wasn't happy with the low idle so I took it to a friend who has his own garage and he put it on to his diagnostic machine and read the live data from the ecu.

My idle was sitting at 640rpm and the absolute throttle position was 7% so he turned the throttle plate stop screw and that adjusted the idle to 760rpm and the absolute throttle position is now 9.6% at idle. The car has honestly never felt better. Although I do need to figure out why the idle surge up and down when the hazard lights are on, one thing I have noticed at night when the lights are on and the instrument cluster is lit up if I put on the hazard lights the instrument cluster lights dim and then go bright in time with the hazards on and off sequence.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing that or is it normal behaviour?

Hello! I am from the netherlands and have recently bought a k11 2002 1.4 which has the same symptom as yours, when using the hazards the engine is idling up and down on the hazards rythym. It also drops revs idling when the cooling fan comes on or when i turn the lights on. Have replaced the battery already, but no solution. Guess it's a normal behaviour for this car? No problems further at all, have a sound system with amp and it all just works fine :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Back