Weird clunking noise from front suspension

Every bump i go over...the car clunks like hell and is getting worse! Im no mechanic...but on checking, i noticed that this black metal arm, slides up and down over the black rubber balljoint...is it supposed to slide up and down? Or is that the issue!? Pics etc attached...please please help!!
20210321_135311.jpg
20210321_135331.jpg
l

That appears to be one of the subframe mounts, looks like it needs replacing.......
To be honest, i dont know what you mean...but the actual bit that im referring to, is a moveble arm...when i look on the web, it calls it a lower front suspension arm...
It is a hinged/moving part. The front part is a straightforward hinge in rubber...but the rear part, is a curved, rubber balljoint type thing. But j can imagine ththat t its meant to be 'fixed' into the curved arm...isnt it!??
And yet, i can move it up and down around 2/3 inches!! Surely...thats the noise cause...isnt it!

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
My mistake, the view was confusing..... this is the arm and the rear bush should NOT move in the arm at all, new arm required...... If one has gone then the one on the other side will probably not be far behind it, best replace both....
K12 track control arm.jpg

My mistake, the view was confusing..... this is the arm and the rear bush should NOT move in the arm at all, new arm required...... If one has gone then the one on the other side will probably not be far behind it, best replace both....View attachment 74161
Sorry to be a nuisance!? But the actual arm looks quite new? Its certainly not the original... with the rear rubber balljoint being knackered...can they not be bought seperatly? Or do i need to replac the whole arms, both sides?? Andif i do...do the new ones come with the new rubbers, front & back of the front arms?? Thank you so much!

Mine still looked new also but I got a set here waiting to go on the car.
To me the bushes still felt okay but I know its going to want doing shortly.
If they move about they are shot and you need to replace them regardless of how they look.
Its not much different replacing whole arm vs bushings I think mine were 37 pounds last year for the pair..
You can replace one at a time with these but if one side had gone how long till other side goes.?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Sorry to be a nuisance!? But the actual arm looks quite new? Its certainly not the original... with the rear rubber balljoint being knackered...can they not be bought seperatly? Or do i need to replac the whole arms, both sides?? Andif i do...do the new ones come with the new rubbers, front & back of the front arms?? Thank you so much!
From your picture it does not look new, more likely the original that was fitted on the car at the factory. What mileage has the car done? They can be bought individually of course, about £25 for each side for a 'pattern' part or about twice that for genuine 'OEM Delphi' part. Either option comes with all bushes and the bottom strut ball joint...If the bush is moving as much as you say it is potentially very dangerous. If it becomes detached from the arm it may well cause an accident!

Here are part numbers you can search for and see if they still available the seller isn't showing for me but look up part number for these.
They are German quality part that I was advised to get when replacing suspension system.
The number with the reflection on it is a 6.
P_20210321_221852.jpg
P_20210321_221921.jpg

Shop around they should not be a lot more as a pair than a single part

It must be the paint that makes them look new? I can see they not new also.
Mine didn't look far off new from the point of view under the car.
If it moves about a lot with a pry bar when off the ground on axle stands the bushes
Are shot.
This is done from between control arm
Not directly at the bushings.
Or at least that's what I learned so far.
A wheel alignment after the install will also be needed.

Last edited: