Webber carbs?

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
the 1600 is back from the garage, and is a bit better now. its not cutting out every few mins!!

but the guy did say that it probably never will run right, coz it was a bit of a cut and paste job to get the wiring matched up (when nicon23 did the conversion).

the guy suggested that my best option would be to convert to webber carbs? now he assumed i had lots of mechanical knowledge (prob coz i took a proimera engined micra) but he was VERY wrong!! anyone like to shed some light on the situation for me??

Do they even do such a thing for the micra/eek primera engine, and how would this benefit me over the current set up???

ta

JK

Titch

Micra K11ng
In the interest of not sounding stupid here don't Webber carbs only work on carbed engines?

Titch :kungfu:

R

RIK

yes it possible to fit carbs to your engine,dunno how you go about doing it so cant answer your question

have you tried the almera/primeras owners clubs to see if they have done this?

also you could see some improvements on performance with carbs :)

this is a web page i have in my favourites,
http://translate.google.com/transla...q=http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~aspect/&hl=en&lr=

it shows at the bottom of the page that u can get a carb kit for the micra so getting one for th 1600 primera i presume u can so now u know it is poss i think its jus a matter of finding them now.

with the carb set up u only need an ecu for the timing so this may sort your fueling problem which makes your car cut out the carb set up is good n quite easy set up i.e the running mechanics but the actual set up getting on the car will be a pain in th a$$.

hope this helps a bit :D

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
Carbs are easy to fit!! theres nothing scary about carbs there simple creatures they have like 4 wires if any only need an ignition controlling ECU to run them..
all you need is a set of twin 45 Webber carbs and an inlet manifold that maches the GA16 you can buy twin 45 weber flanges and get a GA16 flange made up easy enough.. then you will need somthing to drop the fuel pressure down from the high pressure you use for injection to sensible carb levels..

Then you will have to get an ignition powering ECU you will have to see what sensors it uses.. and would be best to run distributer less ign to have ultimate controll..

then its just a case of making a starting and charging loom #### easy.. nothing needed for air low ninjectors yada yada yada... once its tgether you can get it set up on a rolling road..

this isnt a full guide but it shows the basics.. when i got my SR20 the guy i baught it off said he would go for twin 45's as there easy to fit and require no electrics.. he used to build oval racers.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
You don't even need to do that initially, I know plenty of people running bike carbs on CG13DE's simply with a fuel pressure regulator for the correct fuel feed and have the car running the standard ignition map from the stock ECU by using a TPS sensor. It's not the "ultimate" setup but the results are impressive.

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
oh. that doesnt sound too bad then really. the main issue wit the car at the min is the ecu&the fuel going to the injectors...so this would completely cure the problem wouldnt it!

Raceworks or lowrider, i may need to talk to you in the near future...do u know where sells the carbs that would be suitable?

also thanks to K11ss for linky!!

JK

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
yes mate i know where you can get them from :p id go for a set of twin 40's people often glamourise the twin 45's but i think for a 1.6 there to big..

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
raceworks? 2i know where yo can get em from" ....is it a secret lol!! anymore links or info plz??

how much is the setup gonna cost? you know a fair bit dont ya? maybe tis a job 4 u lol!!???

JK

micra_pete

Ex. Club Member
Low Rider said:
You don't even need to do that initially, I know plenty of people running bike carbs on CG13DE's simply with a fuel pressure regulator for the correct fuel feed and have the car running the standard ignition map from the stock ECU by using a TPS sensor. It's not the "ultimate" setup but the results are impressive.

dave can you explain this more, i have heard this a few times and dont understand how they get a standard ecu to run off throttle position, it would either throw the standard map completely out, or be 2D only, i have almost finished getting the cg to run off tp only, but its requiring so pretty heavy changes to the code to get it working.

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
bloody pricey!! thats gonna take some saving. i take it ur not having the same issue with the SR20?? maybe its a case of someone looking at all the wiring and stuff and correcting it do you think? where are u from raceworx?? wish i knew more bout stuff lol. would make it easier

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
weber DCOE 40 carb £283.50.... when u say pair...u dont mean i need two of these do ya?? sorry im so thick - - - im out of my depth now...throw me a line lol

JK

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
For carbs it's simple, the fuel injection side of the ECU is completely disconnected. Since ignition is only dependant on load and speed it's a simple setup. However it is still only the standard map, which may not be ideal for maximum drivability and power on carbs.

As for getting it to run with fuel injection, not something I have looked into. Logically airflow is simple, however how it's actually done in the ECU I counldn't elaborate on.

micra_pete said:
dave can you explain this more, i have heard this a few times and dont understand how they get a standard ecu to run off throttle position, it would either throw the standard map completely out, or be 2D only, i have almost finished getting the cg to run off tp only, but its requiring so pretty heavy changes to the code to get it working.

micra_pete

Ex. Club Member
Low Rider said:
For carbs it's simple, the fuel injection side of the ECU is completely disconnected. Since ignition is only dependant on load and speed it's a simple setup. However it is still only the standard map, which may not be ideal for maximum drivability and power on carbs.

As for getting it to run with fuel injection, not something I have looked into. Logically airflow is simple, however how it's actually done in the ECU I counldn't elaborate on.

thats not right dave, im not asking how the ecu works, i have disassembled the code, and am altering it, i have supplied re-mapped cg and sr ecu's for people, i understand the nissan ecu very well, thats what i dont get, to run the car on tp only, and for it to run correctly, as it would do as standard map, for both fuel and ignition is needing a lot of change, the ignition map on the cg is based on rpm and load, using the maf as a scale, if you alter the voltage reading, ie use the tps as the load scale, this would send the mapping completely out, perhaps its good enough for the needs of the driver, but it won't be right.
if that makes sense

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
hughes_16v said:
j.a.kelly your running problems maybe down the exhaus! only i fort tho mate

thats def what is restricting it... but there are also some fueling issues...for a start the 'cold-start' injector aint even wired up!

would be great if someone who knew what they were doing could properly look at the wiring situation for me...but nobody seems to want to get involved (local garages i mean)

JK

i think just getting a bigger diameter exhaust might solve abit, as for the injector, does anyone know if its actually needed? i mean theres loads of engines that dont have cold start injectors isnt ther!

just my throughts anyway! you can take your car to greenwoods down town behind the seven sisters, they do custom exhausts and do them good, might make it run better

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
j.a.kelly said:
bloody pricey!! thats gonna take some saving. i take it ur not having the same issue with the SR20?? maybe its a case of someone looking at all the wiring and stuff and correcting it do you think? where are u from raceworx?? wish i knew more bout stuff lol. would make it easier

yes mate you need two of those carbs unless you only want to run 1 in which case get 45's but wuth two its just like having TB's only simpler and cheaper.. you loose some adjustability but you saave cash!! lol and in your application its not essential.. not only will it give a sizeable increase in power when setup right it will sound like nothing youve never heard before!!

i live in sheffield mate :p well near it anyway.

if you have the money to buy the parts id fit them for ya labour free as its a good project..

but as far as the ECU goes i know low rider (dave) knows his #### but id fell more confident using a ignition only ECU.

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
cheers raceworks.... def gonna look into this. @ the moment money a bit tight...especially for the car coz spent so Much on it (and having 2 cars def doesnt help lol) Glad yor pretty close to me tho...soon as i get that money together will give you a shout.

Or even if we could meet up some time soon and u can have a look see if you can see the possible problems wit current set up? im assuming you have a fair wack of knowledge anyway?

thanks!

JK

if ya got msn messenger add [email protected]

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
Hughes_16v ive heard about them, and i do need a custom exhaust making up...i cant go mental on the noise tho coz theres rules in my competition that restrict noise!!

shame lol but is def in need of summat, a 1.6 exhaust @ least...its still running the 1.0 one!!

Jk

i will talk to you about them on saturday mate! if your can get hold of a backbox that aint to noisey, my mate had a peco bb4 and it was quite as hell even with a de-cat but he has a corsa so il say no more

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I'm not telling you how the ECU works as I know jack about the workings of the CG ecus. Perhaps picking the brains of Emerald, DTA etc would be a good place to help you. Seems as though you have a good grasp already..........good luck with it :)

micra_pete said:
thats not right dave, im not asking how the ecu works, i have disassembled the code, and am altering it, i have supplied re-mapped cg and sr ecu's for people, i understand the nissan ecu very well, thats what i dont get, to run the car on tp only, and for it to run correctly, as it would do as standard map, for both fuel and ignition is needing a lot of change, the ignition map on the cg is based on rpm and load, using the maf as a scale, if you alter the voltage reading, ie use the tps as the load scale, this would send the mapping completely out, perhaps its good enough for the needs of the driver, but it won't be right.
if that makes sense

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
j.a.kelly said:
the 1600 is back from the garage, and is a bit better now. its not cutting out every few mins!!

but the guy did say that it probably never will run right, coz it was a bit of a cut and paste job to get the wiring matched up (when nicon23 did the conversion).

the guy suggested that my best option would be to convert to webber carbs? now he assumed i had lots of mechanical knowledge (prob coz i took a proimera engined micra) but he was VERY wrong!! anyone like to shed some light on the situation for me??

Do they even do such a thing for the micra/eek primera engine, and how would this benefit me over the current set up???

ta

JK

What 1.6 engine do you have in it at the moment? Injection or non injection? If its injection I would keep it. You would get more power from carbs, but refinment would be out of the window. Carbs are old technology - and can never compete with injection.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
It should stay that way then. It wouldn't be hard to fault find if it was done in a well thought out way.

Ed

micra_pete

Ex. Club Member
Low Rider said:
I'm not telling you how the ECU works as I know jack about the workings of the CG ecus. Perhaps picking the brains of Emerald, DTA etc would be a good place to help you. Seems as though you have a good grasp already..........good luck with it :)

dave my post probably sounded arsier than i ment it to, it will work, as its still a voltage reading, but the mapping will be off, thats all im saying mate :)

OP
OP
j.a.kelly

j.a.kelly

Ex. Club Member
yeah its injection...im taking it up to raceworx (top guy thanks lol) sometime soon, and hes gonna look at the wiring...thats what i assume it is...some wrong connections somewhere!!

cheers
JK

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Being ECCS it should be easy to find any wiring faults as the ecu will log sensor failures. If you get a problem let me know.

R

RIK

you mean self diagnostic ed?

this wont work properly because of the ga16 ecu and cg13 loom and things like idle controll arent wired up so it always shows some faults