water pump

I've changed the water pump on my car this afternoon, but when I put it all together it still leaks, I've had a good look and it appears to be coming from the rear of the pump housing on the block where the heater hose goes into the back of it, does anyone know if there is an O ring in there that could be split and letting water out ? is the elbow that the heater hose attaches to removeable to fix it ?

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
theres a rubber o-ring on the pipe coming out the back of the water pump
the water pump has a rubber gasket built in so that shouldn't leek

OP
OP
sonic
Yes Alan, I used the new gasket supplied along with a bead of instant gasket, and cheers W-A-B, that's just what I wanted to hear, how does the aluminium elbow fasten into the back of the pump housing ?

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
the metal pipe into the rear of the water pump runs all the way round the back of the engine and to the top of the bottom rad hose near the thermostat. 3 bolts hold it in place i think, 2 under the inlet manifold and one into the thrmostat housing, but then there's all the coolant pipes that come off it. it may be tricky to replace the rubber 'o' ring with the engine in, but should be possible

OP
OP
sonic
Oh yes, it's done !!! all I had to remove to get to the 'O' ring was the distributor, fuel rail, intake manifold, and all the associated plumbing to get to it, all that hassle for a £2.54 rubber band, that's the first official Nissan part I've used on it since I got it, now I'm gutted to think that I've spent £33 on a water pump that I didn't need, but that would have gone eventually I suppose so I've saved myself time and money in the future. :D