Washer issues

Hi all,

Just purchased a used K13 Acenta for my daughter today and happy with is so far. Had a K12 but some nice truck driver wrote it off for her....

Front washers aren't working.

When we pull on the stalk the motor appears to whirr but water comes from the rear of the car, front wipers wipe as expected. Pushing it away water come from the rear and the wiper moves as expected.

Plenty of water in the washer bottle.

Seems strange that the front wash / wipe also activates the rear washer (not wiper).

Is the behaviour correct?

Is this a know issue / any ideas?

I am thinking that either the front washers could be blocked causing back pressure or an electrical fault, maybe in the stalk operating the rear washer instead of front.

Help and advice appreciated.

SplanK

Site Supporter
Behaviour is not correct. However I have seen this when front water jets/pips are blocked (often in winter).

Try process of elimination. Disconnect the jet pipework from the jets to see if water will flow through them and try and work your way back. It could however be a blockage at the pump itself. I am not sure how to get to it, but its often a case of front bumper removal, or arch liner removal at least.

SplanK

Site Supporter
I know its a thread revival, however our K13 has just developed this issue.

Pull on the stalk, and water will spay at the back. Sometimes it will sort itself out, sometimes I need to push the stalk to activate the rear before then pulling to spray the front.

Given water does come out of the jets eventually, I do not think there is a blockage in the pipes, so my assumption there is either a wiring issue or a pump. Given the price of a pump seems fairly cheap, that's going to be my first port of call. I will feed back as and when I had ordered/replaced.

I know its a thread revival, however our K13 has just developed this issue.

Pull on the stalk, and water will spay at the back. Sometimes it will sort itself out, sometimes I need to push the stalk to activate the rear before then pulling to spray the front.

Given water does come out of the jets eventually, I do not think there is a blockage in the pipes, so my assumption there is either a wiring issue or a pump. Given the price of a pump seems fairly cheap, that's going to be my first port of call. I will feed back as and when I had ordered/replaced.
If the blockage is ice, this would explain it - as the car warms up the pipes thaw

Consider getting screenwash that protects down to -10 celsius and run it through and see if that solves the issue

Otherwise it does sound likely to be the pump from what you described

SplanK

Site Supporter
Thanks
Suitable screenwash is in, water was not frozen and screen wash was coming out of the sprayers, just not in the expected way unless 'persuaded'.

Looked at the service manual last night, only 2 wires with reversing polarity to determine which way the motor spins so fairly simply.

For £16, im taking a punt on the pump rather than wiring issue given that it does work and the expected wipers do the sweep.

SplanK

Site Supporter
Pump swapped and an immediate difference is noted.

It no longer dribbles out of the rear when activating the front.. and the front seems to work every single time now where as before it was hit and miss. Fairly simply job in the end, just the wheel arch guard is a pain.

I used a Vemo V42-08-0004